The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael Del Zotto | #4 | D

-AJ-

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Hate to say it, Boudrias, but the weakest member of the defensive corps is sitting out and may be traded in short time.

Other than Gudbranson, who (on our D) is not weak?  They are all way too easy to play against.  If a guy is not putting up points, then he sure as heck better be either a fabulous shut down guy (Tanev) or an intimidating force (Guddy - who could do more of that, I think).  I really don't see where the other Dmen fit?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Other than Gudbranson, who (on our D) is not weak?  They are all way too easy to play against.  If a guy is not putting up points, then he sure as heck better be either a fabulous shut down guy (Tanev) or an intimidating force (Guddy - who could do more of that, I think).  I really don't see where the other Dmen fit?

Del Zotto can play a physical game. Edler, if the mood strikes him, can play a physical game. Stecher and Pouliot aren't shrinking wallflowers either.

The Canucks need to establish a better defense though, I agree. Maybe replace Nolan Baumgartner, as he is the defensive coach, and seemingly (by the play of the defense lately) has lost touch.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Del Zotto can play a physical game. Edler, if the mood strikes him, can play a physical game. Stecher and Pouliot aren't shrinking wallflowers either.

The Canucks need to establish a better defense though, I agree. Maybe replace Nolan Baumgartner, as he is the defensive coach, and seemingly (by the play of the defense lately) has lost touch.

To be fair, we haven't had a great defensive core for five years. Baumer has very little to work with.

Just now, -AJ- said:

To be fair, we haven't had a great defensive core for five years. Baumer has very little to work with.

They were playing well earlier in the season, when the defensive line-up was essentially the same.

I'd say this defense hasn't been very good in over 7 years really.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I really don't think the other teams we play are afraid of being run (hard) by any of our D, other than Guddy.  Plus, Guddy can take hits to free up pucks.  Tanev tries, but gets hurt.  Our other guys don't do it at all, excepting Edler, who is poking at pucks now too.  We are WAY TOO EASY to play against.  Who, on D, in our prospect pool, will bring much needed 'heavy' play?  We need to trade for young, tough, and skilled Dmen, who are nasty to play against.  IMHAO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They were playing well earlier in the season, when the defensive line-up was essentially the same.

I'd say this defense hasn't been very good in over 7 years really.

7 years ago we had the best team in the league by far. I'd say the back end with Ehrhoff and Edler in his prime was pretty dang good, not to mention a solid Salo and Bieksa as well.

Our d-core were definitely better early on, I'll grant you that, but the great goaltending we had back then also helped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hate to say it, Boudrias, but the weakest member of the defensive corps is sitting out and may be traded in short time.

??? Geez Phil the only d-man sitting is Tanev? What sacrilege are you committing? :(  Not that I would not trade Tanev. I think he has the most value but I simply think his style of play will always bring on injuries. I originally wanted Edler traded but now think he can run his contract out and maybe even resigned for another year. Much of this depends on Gudbranson and whether they can resign him.  

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

My impression is Green wants a up tempo game that requires the d-core to play up to enhance the puck possession. The pinching seems to be increasing more than not. All the d-men are getting caught. I suspect there is supposed to be a high forward to cover. It can work but the forecheck has to be working and the forwards are losing puck battles more than they were. MDZ's goal was classic.  

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

??? Geez Phil the only d-man sitting is Tanev? What sacrilege are you committing? :(  Not that I would not trade Tanev. I think he has the most value but I simply think his style of play will always bring on injuries. I originally wanted Edler traded but now think he can run his contract out and maybe even resigned for another year. Much of this depends on Gudbranson and whether they can resign him.  

I think he might be talking about Hutton.

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

i just did a quick look at this year compared to last year goals for and against

last year the combined total was around 420 (180 for 240 against)

this year we are in track to approach 500  - 110 for 140 against.. . double that . and

so there is about an extra goal a game .  and extra 1/2 for and a 1/2 against

it is a more open system of play

more offensive pressure.. a riskier overall style of play

that exposes the d more and requires better d

if they are average .. as our lot mostly is.. they appear to be worse then they really are . since this system exposes them more

but that extra goal scoring is more entertaining

and when you do not have great talent

you better entertain if you want to sell tickets

the number of break downs and odd man rushes against montreal early in the game was awful hockey

almost seemed like it was a system of play that was not coached

but it was exciting and frustrating at the same time

7 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i just did a quick look at this year compared to last year goals for and against

this year we are in track to approach 500  - 110 for 140 against.. . double that . and

if they are average .. as our lot mostly is.. they appear to be worse then they really are . since this system exposes them more

the number of break downs and odd man rushes against montreal early in the game was awful hockey

There is truth in what you say. The NHL is still at 2.95 goals-per-game, far higher than it's been in a long while. It's definitely a more offensive year so far.

8 hours ago, coastal.view said:

Green's system also works better when you have your two best defensive C's, a guy like Dorsett, Tanev, Gudbranson etc pitching in on the back check/D coverage.

That's why we picked up Dowd and recalled Chaput. But let's face it. Dowd is not Horvat and Chaput is not Sutter.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Green's system also works better when you have your two best defensive C's, a guy like Dorsett, Tanev, Gudbranson etc pitching in on the back check/D coverage.

That's why we picked up Dowd and recalled Chaput. But let's face it. Dowd is not Horvat and Chaput is not Sutter.

the system requires more talented players overall for sure

which then begs the question

why is it being used presently in absence of those key players (including tanev and dorsett)

the canuck team has been largely ventilated the past dozen games or more

- the goals against is dreadful

i did not like the wd lock down system that he used due to limited talent he had on the team

yet it was more effective given the players on the team

the current group has a very low chance of winning using the current system

but i guess the injury storm is mostly nearing an end now

baer is back

sutter is soon to return

and bo should be back within 2 to 3 weeks

28 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the system requires more talented players overall for sure

which then begs the question

why is it being used presently in absence of those key players (including tanev and dorsett)

the canuck team has been largely ventilated the past dozen games or more

- the goals against is dreadful

i did not like the wd lock down system that he used due to limited talent he had on the team

yet it was more effective given the players on the team

the current group has a very low chance of winning using the current system

but i guess the injury storm is mostly nearing an end now

baer is back

sutter is soon to return

and bo should be back within 2 to 3 weeks

Because winning this year frankly doesn't matter. Teaching players how we want them to play in the future does. That'd be my guess.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because winning this year frankly doesn't matter. Teaching players how we want them to play in the future does. That'd be my guess.

sounds very nice

a bit of a trite statement though

(except the part that it frankly does not matter)

what is being taught though to the less then talented group?

that you are not good enough?

that we have designed and implemented a system of play that does not suit you?

it's kinda a square peg round hole situation

you cannot reasonably suggest the system has been working well for this motley group the past 12 to 15 games

it is the wrong system for this depleted team

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

sounds very nice

a bit of a trite statement though

(except the part that it frankly does not matter)

what is being taught though to the less then talented group?

that you are not good enough?

that we have designed and implemented a system of play that does not suit you?

it's kinda a square peg round hole situation

you cannot reasonably suggest the system has been working well for this motley group the past 12 to 15 games

it is the wrong system for this depleted team

Couldn't disagree more. I doubt our wins/losses would be very (or any) different with a different system given present circumstances. The team has been tied or within a goal heading in to the 3rd for the vast majority of this losing streak with a HIGHLY depleted roster.

I also think that the team as a whole is far more focused on development this year than our win/loss record. Playing 'the right way' has been highly focused on, even in their media.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Couldn't disagree more. I doubt our wins/losses would be very (or any) different with a different system given present circumstances. The team has been tied or within a goal heading in to the 3rd for the vast majority of this losing streak with a HIGHLY depleted roster.

I also think that the team as a whole is far more focused on development this year than our win/loss record. Playing 'the right way' has been highly focused on, even in their media.

then we just disagree

you can cherry pick games if you wish

but it is clear the canucks largely have not been able to score the past 15 games

and are being scored on at a very high rate

i have not done so . but if you total the goals for and against over the past 15 games

those numbers will tell you the chances of winning have been very poor given the gap in offense compared to defense

now i have made myself curious and may just have to do that tabulation

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

then we just disagree

you can cherry pick games if you wish

but it is clear the canucks largely have not been able to score the past 15 games

and are being scored on at a very high rate

i have not done so . but if you total the goals for and against over the past 15 games

those numbers will tell you the chances of winning have been very poor given the gap in offense compared to defense

now i have made myself curious and may just have to do that tabulation

But it's not as simple as GF / GA. Yeah a couple have been blow outs, like the ugly Ducks game but as I said, most games have had us close heading in to the 3rd. A lot of those GA were empty netters like in the MON game. That's not really 'system' but circumstance.

And again, just about everything the team has done since/starting with firing WD last year, has been with the team focused far less on results and more on development. 

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But it's not as simple as GF / GA. Yeah a couple have been blow outs, like the ugly Ducks game but as I said, most games have had us close heading in to the 3rd. A lot of those GA were empty netters like in the MON game. That's not really 'system' but circumstance.

And again, just about everything the team has done since/starting with firing WD last year, has been with the team focused far less on results and more on development. 

without brock (his 22 goals has made our offense look better then it is - basically no one else is scoring)

this team is far worse then then team that played last year

that is reality

he has made this awful team look much better then it is