The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Rule..Butterfly-BAN!

Nuxfanabroad

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

That better have been in 1980. Chon.

Blockhead

actually it was the fall of 88 when my job was going thru privitization i was trying to get in with argo road and bridge in north van but willy wooden shoes (bill vanderzalm) froze all job bidding  

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I remember something about their Richmond garden-scam, & his wife wearing some rope 'round her noggin'.

Just after EXPO, had to leave God's Country & meet my nostalgia...

the privitization thingy, the expo land deal thingy with the little oriental lady ya things were pretty stinky back then.

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

'Tenders like Rogie, Parent, Cheevers/Gilbert & Palmateer were so darned acrobatic. I really enjoyed watching all the diff teams & goalies. btw, great ol pics

Most of those guys would never make it in today's NHL. They're not big enough. Dryden was more or less the start of the trend towards taller goaltenders.

Nowadays, if you aren't 6'4" or taller, you don't have much of a shot.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Most of those guys would never make it in today's NHL. They're not big enough. Dryden was more or less the start of the trend towards taller goaltenders.

Nowadays, if you aren't 6'4" or taller, you don't have much of a shot.

No  jonathan quick 6'1"   cory Crawford 6'2" Henrik lundquist 6'1" Braydon holtby 6'2"    cory scnieder 6'3"   marc andre fluery6'2"  less recently tim Thomas 5' 11"   martin brodeur 6'2"  these goal tenders aren't any bigger or better than goalies in the past ,   being big and being good are two different things.  Esposito, or grant fuhr, could definantly  play in todays game.   carey price ,pikka rinne , ben bishop are  'big,good'   goalies but there certainly not the majority.  then i'll steer the argument to which canucks team was better the 94 or 2011 version  after utubing and refreshing my memory,watching  both series i'll take the 94 team all day long ,as for the speed of todays game check out the 87 oilers team on utube . overall todays game is bigger and faster ,but I haven't  forgotten how good some of the  players and goalies of the past were in comparison.

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

No  jonathan quick 6'1"   cory Crawford 6'2" Henrik lundquist 6'1" Braydon holtby 6'2"    cory scnieder 6'3"   marc andre fluery6'2"  less recently tim Thomas 5' 11"   martin brodeur 6'2"  these goal tenders aren't any bigger or better than goalies in the past ,   being big and being good are two different things.  Esposito, or grant fuhr, could definantly  play in todays game.   carey price ,pikka rinne , ben bishop are  'big,good'   goalies but there certainly not the majority.  then i'll steer the argument to which canucks team was better the 94 or 2011 version  after utubing and refreshing my memory,watching  both series i'll take the 94 team all day long ,as for the speed of todays game check out the 87 oilers team on utube . overall todays game is bigger and faster ,but I haven't  forgotten how good some of the  players and goalies of the past were in comparison.

Depends on where you draw the line of "big". Of goaltenders with 5 or more games this year 26 of 51 of them (51%) are 6'3" or taller. No doubt there are many good shorter goaltenders, as you mentioned, but it's no lie that goaltenders are far taller these days than even just 10 or 15 years ago.

Compare that to the 2003-04 season just before the lockout when 8 of 45 goaltenders (17.7%) with 25 or more games were 6'3" or taller.

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Depends on where you draw the line of "big". Of goaltenders with 5 or more games this year 26 of 51 of them (51%) are 6'3" or taller. No doubt there are many good shorter goaltenders, as you mentioned, but it's no lie that goaltenders are far taller these days than even just 10 or 15 years ago.

Compare that to the 2003-04 season just before the lockout when 8 of 45 goaltenders (17.7%) with 25 or more games were 6'3" or taller.

no doubt  goalies are bigger ,but like @Nuxfanabroad alluded to in his post ,todays goaltenders technical end of things are a cookie cutter style.  like I said big and good are  2 different things . eg  our own goalie markstrome's glove hand ,not  the best. todays goalie, positionally cover more net just by being bigger , but that doesn't necessarily  make them better than a more athletic goalie from the past, plus I'm old enough to make the comparison. :bigblush:

13 hours ago, luckylager said:

Whoa. Speaking of that

My Uncle gave my son a huge chunk of his collection recently. Most notable of the haul- Opee-chee 81-(82)-83..  I pretty much crapped my pants.

I also have a lot of the early 80s O-Pee-Chee cards. Some real good ones in there (eg. Oilers rookies before they became a dynasty)

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I also have a lot of the early 80s O-Pee-Chee cards. Some real good ones in there (eg. Oilers rookies before they became a dynasty)

I used to spend hours admiring my Uncle's collection. I was actually more excited than my son when he was gifted said collection! Lol. I nerded out hard for a few days

Just now, luckylager said:

I used to spend hours admiring my Uncle's collection. I was actually more excited than my son when he was gifted said collection! Lol. I nerded out hard for a few days

Oh yeah, blast from the past, once in a while I'll go through them and find cards of players I had totally forgotten about. Like Rick Kehoe (PIT) or Mike Liut (STL) for example. I bought my collection as a kid, threw them in an old skate box and put in storage. My Mom, many years later, was going through the storage and found this box and gave it to me. It was like striking gold. An almost mint Gretzky rookie! Thank goodness I never used that one in my bike spokes as a kid lol

I ended up putting all of the cards in proper plastic sleeves and storage boxes. Got around 5,000 cards from the 80s and 90s. Doubt I'll ever sell them, but maybe my kids will one day appreciate them as I do.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh yeah, blast from the past, once in a while I'll go through them and find cards of players I had totally forgotten about. Like Rick Kehoe (PIT) or Mike Liut (STL) for example. I bought my collection as a kid, threw them in an old skate box and put in storage. My Mom, many years later, was going through the storage and found this box and gave it to me. It was like striking gold. An almost mint Gretzky rookie! Thank goodness I never used that one in my bike spokes as a kid lol

I ended up putting all of the cards in proper plastic sleeves and storage boxes. Got around 5,000 cards from the 80s and 90s. Doubt I'll ever sell them, but maybe my kids will one day appreciate them as I do.

That's the beauty of it! After my Uncle's collection was brought home, I dug mine out and went through it with my son.

I'd forgotten how huge my collection is. Full sets of Score and upper deck hockey 88-91,  85 & 86 NHL sticker books,  set of Opee-chee mini cards from 85(?). Full sets of Topps baseball 88-90. Tons of basketball cards, no sets, but a Jordan rookie, david robinsons rookie, lots of other beauties.

Literally thousands of cards. Guess I know what I did with my paper route earnings!

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

That's the beauty of it! After my Uncle's collection was brought home, I dug mine out and went through it with my son.

I'd forgotten how huge my collection is. Full sets of Score and upper deck hockey 88-91,  85 & 86 NHL sticker books,  set of Opee-chee mini cards from 85(?). Full sets of Topps baseball 88-90. Tons of basketball cards, no sets, but a Jordan rookie, david robinsons rookie, lots of other beauties.

Literally thousands of cards. Guess I know what I did with my paper route earnings!

That's awesome! Sometimes I'll see a box of Score or Upper Deck cards at the store and I'll toy with the idea of buying it. My wife though, may not understand why I'm acting like a 10 year old lol  Ah, what the heck, she has shoes and hand bags.

56 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I know I guy .....he pays top dollar.:blink:

Archived