The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good Interview : Trent Cull on player development in Utica

Rush17

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/cull-learning-experience-for-holm-in-utica-1.971938

talks on holm, cassels, breezer, chatifeld and overall depth and injuries.  Cassels is riding a near PPG pace and Holm has done exceptionally well as their #1 D man.

highly recommend giving this a listen. heard it the other day and really found it insightful.  good update to hear on our boys in utica!  be a good listen with all the trade talk around our nhl d group.

cheers  holm is really coming along very well.

Description from TSN 1040:

"Utica Comets head coach Trent Cull says defenceman Philip Holm is a guy who sees the ice really well, can snap really good passes which is key on the power play, and has a sneaky shot from the point. Cull says it's not just about the offensive side with Holm, as he's continuing to learn how to defend and play the North American game."

My suspicion is that once Gudbranson gets moved, Holm will be recalled and take his spot. Holm's adjusted nicely to the NA ice surface. He should be on the team sooner rather than later.

Nice to hear about Cassels's resurgence. He may have just gotten himself a contract renewal with his play. Up until now, I figured he'd either be dealt or left unsigned at the end of this season. Now? He may be something.... what exactly? I dunno.

Holm will get a shot after the deadline we will have an opening for him maybe Wiercoch* too. 

Cassels is from the Horvat Shinkaruk Subban draft year he should be showing some promise by now!!! One 2 month streak feels like too little too late. But good for him though I'm glad to hear some good news regarding him. Not getting my hopes up to see him become anything more than a 13th fwd and I think that's generous.

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

My suspicion is that once Gudbranson gets moved, Holm will be recalled and take his spot. Holm's adjusted nicely to the NA ice surface. He should be on the team sooner rather than later.

Nice to hear about Cassels's resurgence. He may have just gotten himself a contract renewal with his play. Up until now, I figured he'd either be dealt or left unsigned at the end of this season. Now? He may be something.... what exactly? I dunno.

Yes pretty much this. I wonder if EDM would be interested in a AHL swap for Cassels maybe Ty Rattie coming back. 

Cassels played thru a pretty bad injury in his draft plus 1 year if I recall. 

He kinda shredded his abdominal muscles and lost a ton of core strength which is vital in hockey. 

That type of injury could take a very long time to recover from. I tore my QL muscle group (back ab) when a partner of mine dropped his end of the stretcher, it has been over a year since and I am still not 100%. 

It is nearly impossible to rest your core muscles, even in sleep, as they are the main posture muscles for the body.  Every movement is tied to them. 

What we may be finally seeing is what Cassels can bring pre injury level. 

It could also just be a fluke. But what do we have to lose by bringing him back next season. 

EmW

2 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Cassels played thru a pretty bad injury in his draft plus 1 year if I recall. 

He kinda shredded his abdominal muscles and lost a ton of core strength which is vital in hockey. 

That type of injury could take a very long time to recover from. I tore my QL muscle group (back ab) when a partner of mine dropped his end of the stretcher, it has been over a year since and I am still not 100%. 

It is nearly impossible to rest your core muscles, even in sleep, as they are the main posture muscles for the body.  Every movement is tied to them. 

What we may be finally seeing is what Cassels can bring pre injury level. 

It could also just be a fluke. But what do we have to lose by bringing him back next season. 

EmW

I agree with what you are saying, but would like to add that Cassels was still recovering from his abdominal injury when he started in Utica and that affected his trading, hje wasn’t able to do the things he did in junior.  Even in junior, putting up those big points, he was kind of an invisible player who shut down the top score on the other team while managing to put a couple of points up himself.  It made it very easy to slide him into a strictly defensive role in Utica - which is what happened.  Cole kept his mouth shut and did his job.  In the Cull interview above, When asked about Cassels sudden production, Cull mentioned injuries and call ups giving Cassels and Carcone getting the opportunity to move up and take over first line duties on a line with Archibald.  They thrived.

Gotta love success stories,  ‘carpe deum’.

Would love to see the line of Archie, Cassels, and Carcone with the big team at the end of the year! I’m still hoping they come to their senses and sign Archie. He hits, scores, and intimidates. Last game everyone was worried that he took his full face mask off for the first time since his injury, he put those worries to rest. He went to the net hard and pissed off one of the dmen on the other team (I think it was a dman), the guy pushed him into fighting, Archie cleaned the guys clock and quickly reminded everyone in the AHL he is still one of the baddest dudes in that league right now...even coming back from a broken orbital bone lol. Love this guy!

The optimistic thing with Cassels is that as a result of injuries and call-ups, he was given additional responsibility and icetime. Cassels has risen to the occasion and grabbed the opportunity. Exactly what you want to see from a young player so hopefully Cassels can continue to be given these opportunities to see how he can handle them for the remainder of the season.

25 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

The optimistic thing with Cassels is that as a result of injuries and call-ups, he was given additional responsibility and icetime. Cassels has risen to the occasion and grabbed the opportunity. Exactly what you want to see from a young player so hopefully Cassels can continue to be given these opportunities to see how he can handle them for the remainder of the season.

Exactly, I think Cull was saying he has the intention to keep riding the Archie/Cassels/Carcone line since they’re doing so well. Plus give Cassels some more minutes on PP and PK. He has been excelling in those roles as well so Cull wants to keep feeding them to him as long as he deserves it.

Archived