The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.[1]Propaganda is often associated with material prepared by governments, but activist groups, companies, religious organizations and the media can also produce propaganda.

The Trans Mountain Pipeline expansion project is our chance to foster new relationships in the global market and get a higher price for our oil. All Canadians will benefit from opening up new markets for our energy resources.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Because alberta has been whining in our ear since the lifestyle they bought on credit caved in.

Lucky for us we still don't have all your taxes and we still make the most money.

And no one is whining people are just wondering why the minority in BC constantly stand in the way of making Canada money.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Like the PM-the guy who bought the pipeline because private investment in this country is next to impossible.

what do you think of the IRC proposal? 134 bands owning the project is pretty fascinating for a bunch of reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded language to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.[1]Propaganda is often associated with material prepared by governments, but activist groups, companies, religious organizations and the media can also produce propaganda.

All Canadians as Ottawa will have more money. Meaning less tax paying, better healthcare, education, etc.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

All Canadians as Ottawa will have more money. Meaning less tax paying, better healthcare, education, etc.

That's impossible to quantify, thus the very meaning of propaganda. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I like it.

if its a successful model i think it could be really significant for resource development across the country- you go from a barrier to a valued partner, and first nations people get a revenue stream thats not gov't dependent. I really hope it comes to a successful conclusion. As far as the KM project goes, its a done deal, the fight has been had and its time to move on, imo anyway. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

if its a successful model i think it could be really significant for resource development - you go from a barrier to a valued partner, and first nations people get a revenue stream thats not gov't dependent. I really hope it comes to a successful conclusion. As far as the KM project goes, its a done deal, the fight has been had and its time to move on, imo anyway. 

Ya I agree having first nations involved will be very beneficial for future projects.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah, its pretty bad. a large dil bit spill could devastate a large fishing area for things like prawns or cod.

But, if done the way they say they're gong to do it the chance should be small, but like I've yapped about a lot, there's far safer technology coming with the bitumen pucks. I suspect thats how AB oil will finally be able to get through Quebec and then we can stop buying oil from those Saudi creeps. 

As far as risk goes, we're at a very high risk of a conventional spill right now with the 30+ tankers that enter the harbour every day, we literally have no means of cleaning that up effectively right now. A part of the billion or so going into the Vancouver port is for advanced spill tech.

I'd prefer we wait for Canapucks, but if it must go through then I really like the safer harbour tech and aboriginal ownership, at least there's that. 

I've been reading about those bitumen pucks. They sound like a real game changer if they can actually deliver on what they promise. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Because alberta has been whining in our ear since the lifestyle they bought on credit caved in.

You do know that when oil was booming, plenty of BC residents were here making a ton of money too. Same with well the rest of Canada. Fort Mac was Newfie central. Yes the government handled it poorly but getting the oil out of AB at a higher sale price is in the Canada's best interest; economically.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well one would think that would be Ottawa's plan rather than adding more debt annually.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is that because the price of oil is fluid?

Missing the point.  Now I am not getting into an argument of the pros and cons of the pipeline, but this is the definition of propaganda and all I had to do was quote the very first paragraph.  Whether the pipeline is good or bad is lost and now moot on most because of the absolute horrid way the government handled this debacle and because of that they now have to deal with more opposition than they could have ever anticipated.  All you have to do is read threads like these, how they always delve into treehugger vs. oil tycoon as if there is no middle ground amongst public. 

I honestly don't know if this pipeline is good or bad for Canada, and I imagine I am not alone. 

• Like 1

It's interesting how having a major refinery or two would solve a lot of this pro or anti argument.  

It is sad that decades ago I heard, "Oh, it's too late to build refineries now, we should have built them decades ago".  Now fast forward a couple of decades to the present and people are going, "Oh, it's too late to build refineries now, we should have built them decades ago".  

• Upvote 2