The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

with some luck, yes I do think that being competitive for a WC spot down to the last 7-10 days is possible. 

Bo's the real deal. Sutter is far better than he's given credit for as a shut down C. Boeser is Boeser. 

If Jake keeps improving, Marky plays all year like the last 30 days Marky, and we see an injury free Guddy... yah I can see it. 

But we need some serious luck on the injury side and with our depth guys stepping up.  

I kind of see it the same way jim

I would also say, that it all depends few things, again............injuries, rookie depth, the Sedin's, and "If" there is any UFA dmen signings

Really a lot of "IF's", but everything goes well...yeah I agree with you and Nux

2 minutes ago, combover said:

I say we are a Lottery team next year, moderate if any improvement. 

27-22 place at seasons end. 

The year after next we should be a wildcard team. 

We actually have a chance at being there this year Combover....aka 27 to 22 OA.............that is only a 4th OA (we are there) to a 9th OA (hopefully we don't get there), but I think worse case is 8th OA......................unless we win all our remaining games.........then %##!!

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I say next year the team improves, but still misses the playoffs. 

2020, we make the playoffs. 

Hockey Gods, I implore you, cut the Canucks some slack and let the team win first overall.

Pretty please, with sugar on top?

I can see us making the playoffs in 2020 as well.  Look at our performance early this season when healthy.  Bubble team for sure.

I see us in the same boat we are in now for a couple more seasons.  Why should our injury woes suddenly change?  Who will our goalies be?  We have two more seasons of bottom 10 finishes.  Then in the 20/21 season we sore to a top 10 team.  After that, we are a Cup competitor for a decade.  We will have three Cup Parades along 

Georgia during that decade.  :towel:

Another bottom 5 year. 

Because:

- all indications point to the Sedins coming back, which will hold back the Canucks no matter how many minutes they play. 

But if the Sedins don’t come back, I still think management will &^@# it up with their UFA signings this summer (evidence: Gagner & Del Zotto & Nilsson)

- this management has shown they do not know when to pull the trigger on letting certain players go (Tanev, Hamhuis, Gudbranson) and I think they will do the same this offseason.

- every other team in the Pacific has the talent to bounce back from their off years this season (which I think they will next year) other than the Canucks making their chances of the playoffs slim to none.

4 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

If we are reasonably healthy next year we will be playing meaningful games in March. Injuries like this year...... not so much.

The injuries mainly come from chasing the play.  And some bad luck.

But mostly its the players:

(a) Lacking the confidence to carry the puck

(b) Lacking the speed to beat others to the puck

(c) Lacking the size to protect the puck

(d) Inability to make and take, quite often, just a simple pass

(e) Emulating the Sedins trying to make the impossible happen

This team needs a couple speedy puck moving defensemen to become a true puck possession team.  We may be able to look from within for this, with Stecher who likes to carry the puck out, and Juolevi coming up the ranks.  But I think we are going to see a revolving door of D for the next two seasons, much like we have seen the same for forwards for the past three.  Finding a stellar D corps should be the priority moving forward.  If we somehow manage to win the lottery this year, this team makes a quantum leap forward.  If we get #1 I would look seriously at also trading up for another top 10 and picking a second D.

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Cheers!

So really, you're asking people to do the annual prediction time capsule several months early?  Without knowing where we draft, who we draft, or where the prospects are at after the summer?  Without knowing if the team trades someone at the draft (or who/what for)?  Without knowing if the Sedins are going to be back?  Without knowing if the team tries to lure a significant UFA?

This team has far too many question marks to be posing this question at this point in time.  I'll wait for next year's prediction time capsule to make any prognostications

2 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

So really, you're asking people to do the annual prediction time capsule several months early?  Without knowing where we draft, who we draft, or where the prospects are at after the summer?  Without knowing if the team trades someone at the draft (or who/what for)?  Without knowing if the Sedins are going to be back?  Without knowing if the team tries to lure a significant UFA?

This team has far too many question marks to be posing this question at this point in time.  I'll wait for next year's prediction time capsule to make any prognostications

Are you: :towel:come on, just guess.  

C1B8B139-501C-47C6-A1C5-E91B3BEF1DB6.jpeg

1 minute ago, Undrafted said:

Best guess: no playoffs next year, based on what little we know now.  Still not enough depth, d-corps in need of serious strengthening

I took a screen shot of this prediction.  :lol:

i agree with you btw.  We need a starting goalie too.  

Think Demko is ready next year?  I’m thinking he’s still a full year away.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I took a screen shot of this prediction.  :lol:

i agree with you btw.  We need a starting goalie too.  

Think Demko is ready next year?  I’m thinking he’s still a full year away.

Demko might be ready to go part-time NHL backup/part-time AHL starter next year; but he's probably 2-3 years away from being the starter for the Canucks.

I'll deny your screenshot of my prediction as being photoshopped ;)

18 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Appreciate what you're saying here, UD. Randomly scrolling thru threads(as of late), I've seen so many sling mud at next yr's outlook. For some reason, I really feel we're gonna turn the corner. So I decided to set this thread where people can state what side of the aisle they stand on.

But you're right in that a prediction this early mostly amounts to a gut feeling.

Do think the owners/mgt hierarchy are tired of trawling the ocean floor, & thus will make some aggressive moves to quickly right the ship. In a sense this ties in with my other thread(5 yr rebuild/rejig/renovate theory 99% blah-blah thingy)..I think they'll recognize they've amassed some nice pieces, & now it's time to shift gears.

I like the Oct Time capsule thread(always one of my favs..this yr I forecast Rodin sniping 5 & winning a mill for someone in Salmon Arm! :^)..I'd expect most posters who chime in here, will have their strong opinions(after summer mayhem & Sept camp) & partake in that stuff too!

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appreciate what you're saying here, UD. Randomly scrolling thru threads(as of late), I've seen so many sling mud at next yr's outlook. For some reason, I really feel we're gonna turn the corner. So I decided to set this thread where people can state what side of the aisle they stand on.

But you're right in that a prediction this early mostly amounts to a gut feeling.

Do think the owners/mgt hierarchy are tired of trawling the ocean floor, & thus will make some aggressive moves to quickly right the ship. In a sense this ties in with my other thread(5 yr rebuild/rejig/renovate theory 99% blah-blah thingy)..I think they'll recognize they've amassed some nice pieces, & now it's time to shift gears.

I like the Oct Time capsule thread(always one of my favs..this yr I forecast Rodin sniping 5 & winning a mill for someone in Salmon Arm! :^)..I'd expect most posters who chime in here, will have their strong opinions(after summer mayhem & Sept camp) & partake in that stuff too!

Well, in this year's prediction thread, I thought we'd be scrapping for a WC spot but would ultimately fall short.  And up until the Horvat injury, things were looking that way.  So to add a little to the wild guess Alf cajoled me into, my gut feeling is that when next year's prediction thread comes around, I'll end up saying the same. 

So really, I'm not on either side of your figurative aisle, I'm standing in it.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I say next year the team improves, but still misses the playoffs. 

2020, we make the playoffs. 

Hockey Gods, I implore you, cut the Canucks some slack and let the team win first overall.

Pretty please, with sugar on top?

There is a Gaud on our side so maybe good things are on the horizon. 

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Cheers!

If the Sedins re-sign MAYBE we're a WC team if everything goes right.  If they don't we're bottom 5; which is fine as the next 2 years drafts are suppose to be strong.

Archived