The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

Humboldt Broncos defenceman Ryan Straschnitzki has undergone a successful 7-hour surgery on his broken back but is paralyzed from the chest down and will likely never walk again.

Straschnitzki is not letting this deter him from continuing to chase his hockey dream however and he plans to take up sledge hockey.

“He keeps wanting to try and move his legs, of course, because he wants to go back skating,” his father, Tom, told the Calgary Herald. “He just looked at me and his mother and he goes, ‘well, I’m gonna get onto the Olympic sledge hockey team.’

“He’s an amazing kid, that boy.”

rvoLzsu.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

CBC is reporting that the coroner misidentified two of the players. Parker Tobin, who was thought to have survived actually died in the crash, while Xavier Labelle was was announced as one of the deceased, is still alive:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/coroner-mistake-1-humboldt-player-thought-alive-is-dead-another-believed-dead-is-alive-1.4611045

You have to feel for the Tobin family.....thinking that a miracle had taken place,,,,only to have that miracle cruelly snatched away.

Meanwhile, the Labelle family receives the best news imaginable....

Impact so brutal, it was hard to identify those from the bus. :(

Just a tragedy!

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Humboldt Broncos defenceman Ryan Straschnitzki has undergone a successful 7-hour surgery on his broken back but is paralyzed from the chest down and will likely never walk again.

Straschnitzki is not letting this deter him from continuing to chase his hockey dream however and he plans to take up sledge hockey.

“He keeps wanting to try and move his legs, of course, because he wants to go back skating,” his father, Tom, told the Calgary Herald. “He just looked at me and his mother and he goes, ‘well, I’m gonna get onto the Olympic sledge hockey team.’

“He’s an amazing kid, that boy.”

rvoLzsu.jpg

Bloody heartbreaking 

• Thanks 1

This one rocks the soul that's for sure, there are no words.  Can't imagine the pain that community is facing let alone close relatives of the deceased.  I hope the outgoing support from the entire nation and around the world does give a little solace though to all those affected. 

I know I kind of hated on Ron Mclean a bit here and there but good on him and Don Cherry to visit those in hospital, that was an amazing act of kindness. 

5 hours ago, mll said:

So many doing the same - if you click on the tweet you will see all the replies.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

If you're on Twitter, you've got to check out #PutYourSticksOut. 

Beautiful gestures from around Canada and below the 49. 

People are amazing!  :wub:

#PutYourSticksOut.

Thanks for these two posts!