The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humboldt Broncos Involved in Bus Crash

Rate this topic

Lost in all of this, the hockey season in Saskatchewan is about to resume and the Nipawin Hawks have a daunting road trip ahead of them. They travel this weekend to Estevan for the next round of playoffs. For those that aren't familiar with the geography of the province, the Hawks will be on a straight run south to Weyburn on Highway 35, where they will turn onto 39 and travel southeast for about an hour to Estevan.

And yes, this trip will take them through the same intersection where the tragedy happened.

To prepare his team somewhat, Nipawin's coach, Doug Johnson,  took his players on a bit of a "test run" this week:

Now the team is heading toward two more emotionally heavy events: the league's first game — the Hawks vs. the Estevan Bruins — since the crash, and a five-and-a-half hour bus ride to Estevan on Tuesday for a follow-up game.

Johnson realized a trip on a bus might not be easy for his players. But, he said, the next step toward getting things back to normal was simple. 

"Just get back on and get moving," he said. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/broncoscrash/nipawins-team-faces-daunting-bus-ride-after-humboldt-crash/ar-AAvSelv?li=AArWeBz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2018 at 1:50 PM, RonMexico said:

I know I risk sounding insensitive here but I wonder why the players and their families need all this financial support? I get that some families lost their main breadwinners and could use some financial help or I can get behind a scholarship fund or something like that but plenty of people die daily and aren't getting millions of dollars raised for them just because this team had some it's members pass away in an accident. Do the parents of the passed away players really need money coming their way? I can assure you that no amount of money will heal the loss of your child.

I just see people throwing money at this because they feel like money helps and makes them feel better about 'helping'. When donations are the 10M mark, I can envision someone skimming off the top of the generousity.

I don't think its insensitive in any way to ask those questions. I would have to assume that financial donations help greatly when families or individuals are dealing with loss when unable to work or function at this time or to seek out help in dealing with this and trying to move forward in life. 

That said and not in any way to diminish all that has been done by so many to this point but there is a sort of way these types of things gather momentum and next thing you know business left right and center are putting out donation boxes, promotional items and now I see on social media people can by the Humboldt shirt ( logo with a shadow of a person kneeling in prayer ) and I start to ask those same questions.

I mean we get it, all over the world people die, tragedies happen and not a cent is raised or media coverage is non-existent. That doesn't mean people care less, does it mean the hockey community is that much closer ? Hockey plays a big part in a lot of Canadians life, but you will find just as many if not more than 50% who'd argue they don't like or watch or play hockey let alone have it be more than some other sport in their lives.

I think what is happening is special, almost to a shame we can't see this sort of reaction and show of love and giving and help to those in other tragedies. We've grabbed onto this and everyone has run with it. I think one reason you see more money flowing into this " cause " is simply put and not anything to argue about but the cost to play hockey in general is what ? 2nd most expensive sport to play in Canada ? where I live its the people by in large who have more disposable income who register their kids in hockey and with the exception of the minority of kids or players using "hand me downs" and 2nd hand equipment a lot of people who play or are involved in hockey have simply more money to shell out. I think that is one part of why we are seeing such a massive donation, without fault or reason to complain I think its simple numbers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

In response to those above questioning where the money will go to, I understand the Humboldt team management have enlisted the help of a Calgary law firm who is willing to work pro bono to establish how the monies will be distributed.  It is certainly a lot of money, but there will be funeral costs for 16 families, lost opportunities for future earnings for those same 16 families plus the team members who are injured.  If any of those people impacted could have made it to the NHL, potentially millions on lost salary.  We don't know the extent of injuries other than the one player who is now paralyzed chest down.  There will be significant rehab which isn't inexpensive.  There will be counselling required for players, management, families, possibly first responders, that can add up in a hurry at $150 - $200 an hour.  Potentially long term physical adaptive devices like wheelchairs, vehicles, housing, in home personal care assistance all can add up to significant costs.  

$10M can be burned through pretty quickly.  

Link to a CBC article about the same question.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-fundraising-and-insurance-money-1.4618582

Edited by skategal
  • Thanks 1

i'm pretty rough around the edges  I hadn't broken down through any of this, until Jackson joseph's mother ,, trying her hardest to be humorous with her speech about her son , and her pain was too much..  extremely saddened , also extremely  pi$$ed off with this driver.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this was posted earlier, but there's another good deed that has been happening due to this horrendous tragedy.  Blood donations and organ donor registrations are both up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/blood-donations-humboldt-1.4617572

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/organ-donor-registry-canada-humboldt-broncos-tragedy-1.4618764

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, chon derry said:

i'm pretty rough around the edges  I hadn't broken down through any of this, until Jackson joseph's mother ,, trying her hardest to be humorous with her speech about her son , and her pain was too much..  extremely saddened , also extremely  pi$$ed off with this driver.

I don't get why the media is not all over this truck driver.  They should be asking tough questions, and demanding answers.  Heck, it's pretty friggin' clear what he had to have done for this horror to occur, right?  There is a BIG stop sign, with a flashing red light on top.  How the heck does he not see that?  

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don't get why the media is not all over this truck driver.  They should be asking tough questions, and demanding answers.  Heck, it's pretty friggin' clear what he had to have done for this horror to occur, right?  There is a BIG stop sign, with a flashing red light on top.  How the heck does he not see that?  

there is a forgiving element to this ,but there's an equal amount of anger ,my wifes mother born in Italy but raised in  eston sask, ,been there twice and did notice how polite people were almost to a fault , in 1988 when bc deregulated motor carrier licence's in bc it was good for the economy, what it meant was if you owned a truck with trailer you didn't need to purchase an over the road licence ,or be a sub hauler of a company that did hold one, you could haul anywhere ,this effected (undermined) hourly ,mileage, or set distance rates , rates that were stable and fought hard for to establish , it also meant the quality of drivers going anywhere dropped significantly. rules , drivers, hauling inter provincially should be more stringent not less    personally I have NO FORGIVENESS AT ALL FOR THIS GUY.

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chon derry said:

there is a forgiving element to this ,but there's an equal amount of anger ,my wifes mother born in Italy but raised in  eston sask, ,been there twice and did notice how polite people were almost to a fault , in 1988 when bc deregulated motor carrier licence's in bc it was good for the economy, what it meant was if you owned a truck with trailer you didn't need to purchase an over the road licence ,or be a sub hauler of a company that did hold one, you could haul anywhere ,this effected (undermined) hourly ,mileage, or set distance rates , rates that were stable and fought hard for to establish , it also meant the quality of drivers going anywhere dropped significantly. rules , drivers, hauling inter provincially should be more stringent not less    personally I have NO FORGIVENESS AT ALL FOR THIS GUY.

I wonder how many previous stop signs this truck driver went through all the gears to a complete stop, and then went through all the gears to get up to speed again?  Aren't the stop signs really HUGE there, and have the flashing red lights, so the big rig drivers can have ample time and space to actually get to a complete stop?