The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Hurricanes open to dealing everybody but Sebastian Aho

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I just don't see Conner Brown and a first enough for Faulk. I think GM's see TO as desperate for that top right dman. Top right dman being a hard to find target I see GM's saying Nylander or nothing. TO is bent over a stump on this one. 

We'll see?

Carolina did not exactly paint themselves a position of strength.  Faulk had some of his minutes stole by Slavin, points by Hanifin. Down 2 minutes a game from 3 & 4 years ago. Justin never built on the 49 points he had back 4 seasons ago? A distant memory...

He's coming off a 31 point season.  Toronto has Gardiner & Rielly at 50 points, Zaitsev scored 36 last year.  

I agree Faulk would help. It does not scream overpay. 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

I just don't see Conner Brown and a first enough for Faulk. I think GM's see TO as desperate for that top right dman. Top right dman being a hard to find target I see GM's saying Nylander or nothing. TO is bent over a stump on this one. 

Canucks have the time.  Why not continue with the reclamation of Guds (have him play with Edler the whole season) & deal him at the trade deadline *IF* there is strong interest (not interested though in a 'trade just for the sake of a trade' - keep him if the offers aren't decent).

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We'll see?

Carolina did not exactly paint themselves a position of strength.  Faulk had some of his minutes stole by Slavin, points by Hanifin. Down 2 minutes a game from 3 & 4 years ago. Justin never built on the 49 points he had back 4 seasons ago? A distant memory...

He's coming off a 31 point season.  Toronto has Gardiner & Rielly at 50 points, Zaitsev scored 36 last year.  

I agree Faulk would help. It does not scream overpay. 

I do agree with that. I'm not sure Faulk is all he used to be. I hope TO gets him and he is a flop. Lol. I also hope anyone dealing with TO makes them overpay.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Canucks have the time.  Why not continue with the reclamation of Guds (have him play with Edler the whole season) & deal him at the trade deadline *IF* there is strong interest (not interested though in a 'trade just for the sake of a trade' - keep him if the offers aren't decent).

Maybe. Quality right side D are in demand.

33 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I want Hanifin, willing to do 

Kole Lind +2x  2nd + roster player (idk if they have a use for tanev, maybe they can flip him??) + more 

I want Hanifin too...

Essentially you are offering 3 2knd rounders. Not that that is chump change? I'm still not sure that buys a top 5 pick? Particularly one already established & doing most things well in the NHL. If I'm Carolina's GM I keep bird in hand. Unless I have a list of 2knd round guys my scouting department is extremely bullish on, they are confident they could get?

13 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I want Hanifin too...

Essentially you are offering 3 2knd rounders. Not that that is chump change? I'm still not sure that buys a top 5 pick? Particularly one already established & doing most things well in the NHL. If I'm Carolina's GM I keep bird in hand. Unless I have a list of 2knd round guys my scouting department is extremely bullish on, they are confident they could get?

How about.. 

Juolevi, 2x 2nd, Kole Lind, Tanev (something they can flip) and one of Demko/Dahlen. Or do you think we would have to move Petterson

NOT saying i would do these trades. Just wondering about his value. Is Hanifin a franchise #1D or is more of a elite #1D? 

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

How about.. 

Juolevi, 2x 2nd, Kole Lind, Tanev (something they can flip) and one of Demko/Dahlen. Or do you think we would have to move Petterson

NOT saying i would do these trades. Just wondering about his value. Is Hanifin a franchise #1D? 

Now we're getting carried away.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

How about.. 

NOT saying i would do these trades. Just wondering about his value. Is Hanifin a franchise #1D? 

But to answer your question? He's an offensive D with great mobility. OK, but nothing special in his own end. Probably / certainly a top pairing D. Just not an elite one you can play in any circumstance.

I personally would not trade Juolevi to acquire him.  He's less advanced, quite different, but also has similar top pairing potential.  And we're short on D, trading one to acquire another D is not worth it IMO.

If I had to make an offer, it might be something like Jake or Dahlen, Markstrom & a late pick. But paying young assets, Jake or Dahlen & a pick, is against my view of rebuilding.

My view is draft Boqvist or Dobson, Sandin & continue to accumulate young assets. Trade Edler & MDZ this deadline. Tanev next, Sutter the year after. 

Hanifin is 21, had 32 points last year. Gets a similar return as Hamilton? Something tells me they'd want a Jones for Johansen-esque trade though. So they'd likely ask for Boeser or Pettersson from us. Not a package where the best piece is probably Lind or one of our average vets like Edler/Tanev.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hanifin is 21, had 32 points last year. Gets a similar return as Hamilton? Something tells me they'd want a Jones for Johansen-esque trade though. So they'd likely ask for Boeser or Pettersson from us. Not a package where the best piece is probably Lind or one of our average vets like Edler/Tanev.

i wouldnt be surprised if they asked for Horvat + 

This may be crazy...but would anyone like to see them take Jordan Stall off their hands? 5 years left 6 mil per season but i'm sure they will part with picks to off load his contract. Plus gives us a 45 point monster centerman who is 29 and turns 35 at the end of his contract. It would shore up our depth at center in a hurry. 

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

This may be crazy...but would anyone like to see them take Jordan Stall off their hands? 5 years left 6 mil per season but i'm sure they will part with picks to off load his contract. Plus gives us a 45 point monster centerman who is 29 and turns 35 at the end of his contract. It would shore up our depth at center in a hurry. 

How would he and Sutter balance out our lines would be my biggest Q. Can you have both in the same lineup?  not sure if bumping staal to the 3rd line in a few season would be worthwhile with his cap hit.

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

We don't need 2 sutters now

14 hours ago, poolbosorg said:

I personally want one of Boquist or Hughes- with Dobson or Wahlstrom to be chosen if the neither of the other are available.

This.

It has been my opinion since Feb anyway.

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Hamilton already had a 42 point season when he was traded. Commanded a bit more. Hanifin has that potential?

Hanifin is not in Seth Jones league.

15 hours ago, rekker said:

I do agree with that. I'm not sure Faulk is all he used to be. I hope TO gets him and he is a flop. Lol. I also hope anyone dealing with TO makes them overpay.

Faulk is very good IMO. Not quite elite...

He had bigger numbers earlier because he was quite a bit better than just competent. And they literally Carolina had NO ONE else. Particularly on D, but also up front who was scoring. Their PP ran through him. And he commanded the highest % of involvement in points by his teams power play one year. As well as most goals. Now they have some guys on the half wall, Hanifin has joined him on the point. So they have more options, he does not get as much rubber.

But its worth noting that he still scored, when EVERYONE, keyed on him. That's not easy to do.

I don't believe he will be a flop. Just that they may be selling low.

39 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Faulk is very good IMO. Not quite elite...

He had bigger numbers earlier because he was quite a bit better than just competent. And they literally Carolina had NO ONE else. Particularly on D, but also up front who was scoring. Their PP ran through him. And he commanded the highest % of involvement in points by his teams power play one year. As well as most goals. Now they have some guys on the half wall, Hanifin has joined him on the point. So they have more options, he does not get as much rubber.

But its worth noting that he still scored, when EVERYONE, keyed on him. That's not easy to do.

I don't believe he will be a flop. Just that they may be selling low.

Fair enough. Im still guessing where the  Canes would think a high first and a player like Kapanen isn't enough for Faulk. I'm still guessing they want Nylander or no deal.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

How would he and Sutter balance out our lines would be my biggest Q. Can you have both in the same lineup?  not sure if bumping staal to the 3rd line in a few season would be worthwhile with his cap hit.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

We don't need 2 sutters now

I'd only do it if the return was worth it IE: picks in this years or next years draft. I like Staals game. Maybe he needs a change of scenery like his brother did? We don't have a lot of depth at center and he is a sure bet for another 5 seasons as we start to bring in our new players. I agree the term is longer than i'm interested in. I was more posing the question if Carilona made it worth it. How about this, as we are in need of reliable scoring wingers, same scenario applies...would you take on the last year of Williams contract from Carolina for picks in this years draft? He's 36 but he has not slown down at all. 

I'd like us to try and take on some contracts for picks personally, and with the Sedins off the books now is the best time to do it. Because in 5 years time we will be needing that money on our home grown young guns.

40 minutes ago, rekker said:

Fair enough. Im still guessing where the  Canes would think a high first and a player like Kapanen isn't enough for Faulk. I'm still guessing they want Nylander or no deal.

If the Canes were offered Kapanen & a first, my own opinion is they may not get much better? Kap is the fastest guy on the Leafs and pretty much in the NHL. He would play higher up in Carolina's line up, was a first round pick, scored well in the AHL & has some upside. Effectively two first round pics that offer. That's approaching or equivalent to the 1st & two 2knds Hamilton & Hamonic commanded. Without having their whole career still ahead of them. Carolina would take it?

Should take it...

Who knows? Duchesne with 2 seasons left on his pact got a kings ransom. But Nylander just scored back to back 60 point seasons and is just 21. Has 80 point upside. I would not be trading him for 2 years with a D coming off a 31 point season.  Maybe a new Leaf GM will, but I would not think so?

edit for clarification: Kapanen is effectively in the NHL, not fastest in the NHL. Is fastest on Leafs.

Archived