The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Evander Kane to long term contract

San Jose still holding onto being a contender I guess.

I'd rather save our cap space for our own players that we draft and develop. Then once those players are in their prime, make some trades and build around them.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Problem being, even if some of them are 'feistier' (Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette etc) none of them really bring the size/grit with skill factor Kane would have that's sorely lacking from both our NHL top 6 and any of our potential top 6 prospects.

That said, for $7X7...

latest?cb=20120601023659

Though we do likely have a couple years(and UFA's, more drafts, trades etc) to address it before it really matters, it sure wouldn't hurt add that element to our top 6 while our young guys are getting accustomed to playing here. A trade for Jenner might be a solid option (and could shelter Pettersson at C for a couple years)...but I'm sure Benning and Co. have some sort of plan to address it one way or another.

I fully agree. With the Blue Jackets maybe looking for some changes I have mentioned Jenner as a target as well. He would fit in well. Maybe we should of drafted him instead of Jensen. Lol.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Not too much of an overpayment really. In a bad year he is scoring goals in the low twenties, a good year he hits 30... on a good team finally maybe those totals even go up.

Really good fit for San Jose and e is young enough that it won’t likely be an albatross until right at the end.

do you recall when his last good year was?

it was also his last contract year?
coincidence?

maybe.. . maybe not

time will tell

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned. Deal includes a limited no trade clause where Kane can list three teams he would go to. 

It was joked about on TSN1290 in Winnipeg that the Sharks may not have fully thought about that trade clause.

Example what Kane’s 3 team list could look like if they want to trade him:

- Winnipeg

- Buffalo

- Insert team name here

Kane could list those two teams, knowing full well there’s no way either organization would ever want him back, ensuring he goes to one team or stays in San Jose.

I'm shocked they signed him to be honest, but I guess some of the core guys liked him, and the move to continue to be "win now". Meier is maybe another season away from being at full impact, but I thought the Sharks looked better when Kane was out in game 2 against Vegas, and Meier took his spot on the top line.

What's the over/under on how long it takes for Kane to be on the 3rd line and Meier in the top 6.

Archived