The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) VAN-BUF “With A Hidden Agenda”.

This proposal is simple and could benefit us in more ways then one and should

Be seriously considered by Mr. Benning.

To VAN

Matt Moulson

4TH Round draft pick (2018-BUF)

4th Round draft pick (2018-MIN)

To BUF

Anders Nilsson

Essentially Buffalo gives us a 4th round pick to take Moulson off their books and also gives us a 4th round pick for Nilsson.

The Sabers get a goalie they are familiar with that can back up Lehner and replace Chad Johnson.

We all know Moulson has seen better days but maybe he could be a 13th or 14th forward for us, this suggestion is not the reason we should trade for Moulson and I will now get to the “Hidden Agenda”.

I first thought of this trade after reading this article:

Tavares could become one of most desirable free agents in NHL history

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-one-of-the-most-desirable-free-agents-in-nhl-history/c-299092454 

Notable sentences for those who don’t wish to read the article:

John Tavares and Matt Moulson have known each other since Tavares was in Grade 8 and played lacrosse with Moulson's brother.

They were roommates.

In 2012, Moulson asked Tavares to be the godfather of his first child, a daughter, Mila.  "He's someone who is a great friend. He cares a lot about people, about his teammates, about his friends. Not just about me, but our extended families.

So yes, the Hidden Agenda is to use Moulson as Bait to help towards convincing Tavares to sign in Vancouver.

There would have to be an extension for Moulson, at a very low cost effective salary (Based on Tavares signing), 

2 years maybe, just enough time for him to settle in Van city where he can stay close to his kids godfather.

I know this will only be something minor that Tavares would take into consideration when it comes

to making a decision where to sign if this could help sway him, along with all the other positive reasons that have been

discussed in these forums lately then i think it's worth looking into.

The worse case scenario is we gain two 4th round picks .

3 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

This proposal is simple and could benefit us in more ways then one and should

Be seriously considered by Mr. Benning.

To VAN

Matt Moulson

4TH Round draft pick (2018-BUF)

4th Round draft pick (2018-MIN)

To BUF

Anders Nilsson

Essentially Buffalo gives us a 4th round pick to take Moulson off their books and also gives us a 4th round pick for Nilsson.

The Sabers get a goalie they are familiar with that can back up Lehner and replace Chad Johnson.

We all know Moulson has seen better days but maybe he could be a 13th or 14th forward for us, this suggestion is not the reason we should trade for Moulson and I will now get to the “Hidden Agenda”.

I first thought of this trade after reading this article:

Tavares could become one of most desirable free agents in NHL history

https://www.nhl.com/news/john-tavares-one-of-the-most-desirable-free-agents-in-nhl-history/c-299092454 

Notable sentences for those who don’t wish to read the article:

John Tavares and Matt Moulson have known each other since Tavares was in Grade 8 and played lacrosse with Moulson's brother.

They were roommates.

In 2012, Moulson asked Tavares to be the godfather of his first child, a daughter, Mila.  "He's someone who is a great friend. He cares a lot about people, about his teammates, about his friends. Not just about me, but our extended families.

So yes, the Hidden Agenda is to use Moulson as Bait to help towards convincing Tavares to sign in Vancouver.

There would have to be an extension for Moulson, at a very low cost effective salary (Based on Tavares signing), 

2 years maybe, just enough time for him to settle in Van city where he can stay close to his kids godfather.

I know this will only be something minor that Tavares would take into consideration when it comes

to making a decision where to sign if this could help sway him, along with all the other positive reasons that have been

discussed in these forums lately then i think it's worth looking into.

The worse case scenario is we gain two 4th round picks .

Do we really want to spend big cap dollars on JT anyway?  I think your plan (hidden agenda) is well thought out, but there is the concern that paying JT a huge cap for 7 years could become an albatross over time, isn't there?

I'm not too sure Buffalo let Nilsson walk or Nilsson wanted to walk but they could be interested in Nilsson, after his gold medal performance he might make some people think "hey...this guy looks good behind a good team". I just want to see us move Nilsson to get more picks and to allow Demko to step up.

As far as Tavares and the size of his potential contract goes, I'd be surprised if anyone would complain.

The question becomes...does management take player relationships into consideration when trying to persuade a big fish to join their team ie; Moulson and Tavares . And if so to what degree. I'm not sure myself but it seems like a low risk to acquire Moulson and a 4th to find out.

37 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

I'm not too sure Buffalo let Nilsson walk or Nilsson wanted to walk but they could be interested in Nilsson, after his gold medal performance he might make some people think "hey...this guy looks good behind a good team". I just want to see us move Nilsson to get more picks and to allow Demko to step up.

As far as Tavares and the size of his potential contract goes, I'd be surprised if anyone would complain.

The question becomes...does management take player relationships into consideration when trying to persuade a big fish to join their team ie; Moulson and Tavares . And if so to what degree. I'm not sure myself but it seems like a low risk to acquire Moulson and a 4th to find out.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/season-sabres-ignited-goalie-anders-nilssons-nhl-career/

But the Sabres’ new regime – the team fired coach Dan Bylsma and general manager Tim Murray after missing the playoffs – wasn’t interested in bringing back the Swede.

“Honestly, didn’t hear too much from Buffalo,” Nilsson told the Times Herald on Friday prior to the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-2 win”

46 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/season-sabres-ignited-goalie-anders-nilssons-nhl-career/

But the Sabres’ new regime – the team fired coach Dan Bylsma and general manager Tim Murray after missing the playoffs – wasn’t interested in bringing back the Swede.

“Honestly, didn’t hear too much from Buffalo,” Nilsson told the Times Herald on Friday prior to the Vancouver Canucks’ 4-2 win”

You're letting facts get in the way of a giant guess by someone who put up yet another CDC boner of a trade proposal!

3 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I'd rather trade for Molson the beverage than Moulson the hockey player.

The Sabres being familiar with Nilsson is exactly why they would not be interested.

56 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

You're letting facts get in the way of a giant guess by someone who put up yet another CDC boner of a trade proposal!

Just because a player was let go to free agency doesn't mean he was necessarily unwanted or would remain unwanted by an organization. Nilsson played well in Buf so hypothetically he could do it again .

To suggest this is a Boner of a proposal simply because Nilsson was let go to free agency for an unknown reason is just plain narrow minded.

4 minutes ago, canuckmen84 said:

Just because a player was let go to free agency doesn't mean he was necessarily unwanted or would remain unwanted by an organization. Nilsson played well in Buf so hypothetically he could do it again .

To suggest this is a Boner of a proposal simply because Nilsson was let go to free agency for an unknown reason is just plain narrow minded.

Management wasn’t interested in bringing him back last season when they had his rights.  They aren’t going to give up assets to bring him back now.  

i'm sure tavares has many other friends as well

who do not play hockey

why would a friend who's career is failing / flailing

motivate tavares to join the sad end to a career

then they both can live it out day to day together ?

misery loves company ?
not sure why this is any sort of carrot for tavares

unless he is in fact terribly lonely ? :P

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Our chances of landing Tavares is really small, dunno why people keep trying with posts. 

No one wants Nilsson, hes got negative value. 

I don’t want JT.  Any team getting him will way over pay.  He is an offence only center, who’s play doesn’t equal the 12 million he’s going to get.  Save our Cap dollars for signing EK next July.

agree on Nilssen.

think Markstrom has no value too.

both our goalies from last year are bad.

10 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

I was actually being nice when I said boner.  This is an idiotic proposal because it does nothing to help the Sabres win now or in the future.

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

I was actually being nice when I said boner.  This is an idiotic proposal because it does nothing to help the Sabres win now or in the future.

Why would Canuck’s fans want the Sabres to do well?  

You take Nilssen; he’s got the Viking Clap.  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why would Canuck’s fans want the Sabres to do well?  

You take Nilssen; he’s got the Viking Clap.  

That's the one of the biggest problems with CDC trade proposals.  The needs of the other team aren't often considered as highly as the needs of the Canucks.  That's why you get so many unrealistic trade proposals.

Archived