The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Well that's what Brian Burke said at the draft but I also notice that Brian Burke doesn't have an NHL job, his job is to stir the pot on television and be a talking fossil.

Yeah, he made a similar comment about Pettersson, but just the other day he commented that perhaps EP 'has no ceiling' to his development.'

Sadly, I don't know about Woo - he seems to have a hard time staying healthy with his robust game, but after watching Yuolevi in the Utica game, I am much encouraged about his offensive skills.  On the power play, he processes the game at a level above most players - quick sharp passes, laterally mobile, gets his shots through consistently.  All very good signs.  Another guy to keep in mind is Brassard - had an amazing year last year, and after recovering from an injury, has begun the new year in great form.  I'd really like to see Woo get healthy... and stay that way - he could be a guy who changes the flow of hockey games.

Hughes may get muscled, but when you are consistently the first to loose pucks and take great body position because of your skating and agility, it makes up for a lot of size.  The other great thing is his ability to turn away from a check and accelerate up ice.  He will be a guy we haven't seen in Vancouver for a long time, a guy who can skate the puck out of trouble and recover if he loses it.

That was something I noticed from Pettersson in the Calgary game, was how when he lost the puck, he wheeled, causght whoever he lost it too, and recover the puck.  That skill, for anybody who can remember that far back, was a great skill of Gretzky's.  Not saying he's Gretzky, but that was one of Gretzky's defining attributes - puck recovery.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I was thinking about going down for a game in the New Year. 

Never been to a NCAA hockey game. 

Not too far to drive for me. 

Maybe against the Spartans, would be fairly heated.

Not sure about UofMich games but UND were usually sold out and are a hard ticket to get. especially when thats the only thing to watch in the city of Grand Forks.

at the same time, Im trying to get a Quinn Hughes jersey. Ive been begging/pleading the sports shop at UofMich but they dont sell named jerseys for mens hockey. They only do that for football.

9 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Not sure about UofMich games but UND were usually sold out and are a hard ticket to get. especially when thats the only thing to watch in the city of Grand Forks.

at the same time, Im trying to get a Quinn Hughes jersey. Ive been begging/pleading the sports shop at UofMich but they dont sell named jerseys for mens hockey. They only do that for football.

Yeah they don’t even sell named jerseys at the official stores on campus here (although I think that may have to do with NCAA rules?) so unfortunately I don’t think that’ll pan out for you!

And yeah there’s no way the tickets here are hard to get compared to UND - a hockey school. Hockey is the 3rd sport at UM and it doesn’t help when both basketball and football have been good/entertaining. The student section is INCREDIBLY hype here and so those tickets are harder to get.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Grape said:

Yeah they don’t even sell named jerseys at the official stores on campus here (although I think that may have to do with NCAA rules?) so unfortunately I don’t think that’ll pan out for you!

And yeah there’s no way the tickets here are hard to get compared to UND - a hockey school. Hockey is the 3rd sport at UM and it doesn’t help when both basketball and football have been good/entertaining. The student section is INCREDIBLY hype here and so those tickets are harder to get.

thanks for the insider info. the email I got was that they do sell named jerseys for football, not sure of basketball. would be cool to get a Hughes jersey tho. Hat tip to you sir for being there to see some good games in the many sports. UofMich usually has good teams

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I was thinking about going down for a game in the New Year. 

Never been to a NCAA hockey game. 

Not too far to drive for me. 

Maybe against the Spartans, would be fairly heated.

There’s one home game against the Spartans in the New Year, and two homes games against Ohio State, who are Michigan’s biggest rivals (football wise but it kinda carries on for the whole school). I think Ohio State is ranked really high this year (slightly higher than UM) so that might be a fun game to watch too!

Edited by Grape