The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Agreed.

Though from the highlights i've seen as well as stuff i have read, i am not sold on Quinn's defensive abilities either. I am not picky, i don't care how he does it but if he can use his diminutive size + edgework to seperate people from the puck in his own zone + break up plays + angle off incoming players, etc. at an elite level, i  wouldn't care how much he roved.

From his highlight reel package,he seems like someone who is going to NEED a Tanev or Willie Mitchell at his peak type players to partner him and pick up the defensive slack while he weaves his magic. 

You are right. Similar to how Karlson played so well with Methot all those years. Very similar with all offensive defenseman. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Agreed.

Though from the highlights i've seen as well as stuff i have read, i am not sold on Quinn's defensive abilities either. I am not picky, i don't care how he does it but if he can use his diminutive size + edgework to seperate people from the puck in his own zone + break up plays + angle off incoming players, etc. at an elite level, i  wouldn't care how much he roved.

From his highlight reel package,he seems like someone who is going to NEED a Tanev or Willie Mitchell at his peak type players to partner him and pick up the defensive slack while he weaves his magic. 

I honestly think the Canucks hope that Jett Woo becomes that partner. They drafted Jett Woo high in the second round probably for that reason (among others). That, or, and I know this topic is beaten down like a dead horse, but a mature Tryamkin could be an interesting defensive partner for him if he returns in the next year or two.

That said, if the Canucks fall out of the top 3 (again) this coming draft, picking a guy like Bowen Byram could be a really interesting defensive partner if he falls to the Canucks too. Having a three punch of Hughes, Byram, and Juolevi for the next few years could make for one of the most promising/creative defensive cores in the NHL for years to come. But this is all wishful thinking.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Agreed.

Modern D are being coached hard on their stick work as well. Stick checks have become a huge part of the game to the point where a lot of contact hits just put you out of position. It is now common to separate puck from player with a stick check rather than a hit. It's tough to get used to but there is only room for one or two big, physical, lumbering dmen on a team now. 

19 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

Even more favored when you factor in Malkin at 2OA, and throw in Toews at 3OA to really drill home the point that these top drafted players are key.

2018 - Ovi

2017 - Sid/Malkin
2016 - Sid/Malkin

2015 - Kane/Toews
2014 - Doughty
2013 - Kane/Toews
2012 - Doughty
2011 - Seguin 
2010 - Kane/Toews
2009 - Sid/Malkin

To be fair 2011 Seguin was a rookie and nowhere near as dominant as the current Seguin and Julien limited his ice time so I don’t think it would of made any difference with or without him in that line up.

There is a 3rd overall pick that year on the Bruins roster - Nathan Horton. However, you can also argue that he is not Toews level in terms of his play. He was just very clutch and shows up in the big games in 2011. Horton’s production in the regular season is a fringe 1st line/elite 2nd line production. It sort of is like Mikael Samuelson (a healthy Samuelson) would provide for the Canucks.

The Bruins key to the Stanley Cup was Bergeron (2nd round pick), Krejci (2nd round pick), Chara (3rd round pick) and Tim Thomas (9th round pick). Their supporting cast is very good and the overall team was playing the same style of Big Bad Bruins style.

To me they should be a good example of a team doesn’t need top 3 pick talent to win the cup (their 2nd and 3rd overall picks are not playing at other 2nd or 3rd overall pick level).

It’s like saying this future Canucks core wins a Stanley Cup (lets just say pretend), and we we don’t win any draft lotteries the next year or two, the core will be led by EP (5th overall), Brock (23rd overall), Horvat (9th overall), Hughes (7th overall), OJ (5th overall), 2019 1st rounder (4th-15th overall) and Demko (2nd round pick). If Gudbranson is still on the team then, the Canucks would officially still have a top 3 pick in the line up cuz Gudbranson is a 3rd overall pick. In reality (and to no disrespect to Gudbranson and his game), Gudbranson’s play with the team could be replaced by another big physical D man, and is not as crucial as the elusive term of a “top 3 pick.”

19 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

To be fair 2011 Seguin was a rookie and nowhere near as dominant as the current Seguin and Julien limited his ice time so I don’t think it would of made any difference with or without him in that line up.

There is a 3rd overall pick that year on the Bruins roster - Nathan Horton. However, you can also argue that he is not Toews level in terms of his play. He was just very clutch and shows up in the big games in 2011. Horton’s production in the regular season is a fringe 1st line/elite 2nd line production. It sort of is like Mikael Samuelson (a healthy Samuelson) would provide for the Canucks.

The Bruins key to the Stanley Cup was Bergeron (2nd round pick), Krejci (2nd round pick), Chara (3rd round pick) and Tim Thomas (9th round pick). Their supporting cast is very good and the overall team was playing the same style of Big Bad Bruins style.

To me they should be a good example of a team doesn’t need top 3 pick talent to win the cup (their 2nd and 3rd overall picks are not playing at other 2nd or 3rd overall pick level).

It’s like saying this future Canucks core wins a Stanley Cup (lets just say pretend), and we we don’t win any draft lotteries the next year or two, the core will be led by EP (5th overall), Brock (23rd overall), Horvat (9th overall), Hughes (7th overall), OJ (5th overall), 2019 1st rounder (4th-15th overall) and Demko (2nd round pick). If Gudbranson is still on the team then, the Canucks would officially still have a top 3 pick in the line up cuz Gudbranson is a 3rd overall pick. In reality (and to no disrespect to Gudbranson and his game), Gudbranson’s play with the team could be replaced by another big physical D man, and is not as crucial as the elusive term of a “top 3 pick.”

? You just mentioned they had 2...

I will say though that Pettersson in a redraft would be 1st overall.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

44 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

? You just mentioned they had 2...

I will say though that Pettersson in a redraft would be 1st overall.

In a re-draft, Chara probably goes 1st overall as well. Bergeron could arguably be re-drafted top 3 as well (definitely top 10).

Although the past 10 cup winners have won with high draft picks (1,2, and/or 3OA) in their line up, I don't believe it's a necessity to win the cup.

Or... I'm just wishful thinking because I doubt we get a lotto pick lol

• Upvote 1

The one thing that I see from Hughes right now is that he is trying to do a little too much. I think that will settle down with a few more games this season, but it's one way that young players who move up to the NHL have to adjust to. He's already done it with the World Champs team this year, so he can adjust. Right now he's pushing the limits though trying to figure out how aggressive he can be at this level.

Trent Cull said it recently in an interview about MacEwen. Instead of trying to make 20 amazing plays every game, make 5 solid plays and you will get noticed in the right way. Pettersson is pretty good at this right now. When there is a play to be made he makes it, but he also knows when to simplify his game. 

I will be looking for that from Hughes as the season moves along here. 

• Upvote 1

On 2018-10-09 at 6:48 PM, canuckistani said:

Agreed.

Scott Lachance is another example. 

This is why some people think Guddy is the guy. He did very well with Campbell in Florida. 

As for Hughes, one thing I have noticed about his balance, he has a ridiculously lose center of gravity. Like in his skates!!  He does have the ability to knock bigger guys just a little bit off the puck to steal it. 

He seems to be able to catch play after turnovers and doesn’t appear to be a big liability without the puck. 

He shoots from everywhere.  Maybe he needs to be more selective. He does need to keep his shots lower, they like to rise up. He is small enough to really take advantage of screens. 

We need to have a garbage goal set of forwards on the ice when he is skating. 

He sets a frantic pace. He draws a lot of attention, he will draw defenders so smart players can float to the soft spots and get ready for a shot. 

On 11/10/2018 at 3:09 AM, ruilin96 said:

The Bruins, Lucic notwithstanding, and he had other benefits, had speed!

Bergeron is faast, was their best pivot, but played second line. And they could match him with Marchand. Who is faster. When he was not on the bench? Seguin was faster yet.

Horton could move for a big guy. Krejci had wicked agility back then.

Chara can also move better than expected by far, and also played fast.

We had Hansen & Torres who could motor, Kessler. But in spite of their big guys? Not the same team speed.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

Hes a gamer. In that game against Vermott theres a shift (about 10 min mark or the next shift after) where #9 takes a run at him behind the net. Quinn made a nice play on the hit to dish the puck back then take the hit to make the play. But later on in the shift they locked up again and Quinn was giving him some shots. Doesnt back down.

Hes going to be a joy to watch with Pettersson because he thinks a step ahead aswell. 

I agree with Derp about him doing too much. Its something I remember thinking leading up to the draft. But im not worried about it in the NHL. He's smart, he'll learn quickly when he can hold it longer or when he needs to make a quick play. Also having the puck on his stick and moving it around is his game. 

So....1pm start time here? Gives me time to hit the gym and then settle down to watch this. While I will be focused mostly on Quinn, it will be interesting to see what Jack looks like in a full game...not that I think we have much chance of landing him (our team not sucking enough, and "Canuck luck"). I've not see Jack in anything but highlight clips.

And is it me or is Quinn's "elite" skating more notable in terms of his turns and overall agility more than his top end speed? Or does he not shift into his top gear all that often when his lower gears are more than ample enough for him to excel on the ice? He does make it look easy out there at times.