Sign in to follow this  
Rush17

[Discussion] Which NHL 2018 Draftee's are AHL eligible?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I was curious if anyone knows who of our prospects might be AHL eligible next season? I  know Hughes has expressed interest and turning pro either in Vancouver or Utica.  Do we know of any other players who "could" and who we think "may"?  I am assuming Artyom Manukyan is age eligible but will they bring him over?  :) Good questions to ask. I want to cheer for Utica strong this year. A few more bodies would help for that! 

 

World Jr Eligible Players:

 

Hughes (USA) likely candidate if not in nhl/ahl

Woo (Canada) maybe? anyone know if he's a consideration?

Manukyan (Russia) likely candidate

Utunen (Finland) likely, captain of Finnish U18 team

Madden (USA) he might be more a long shot? what do you think

Thiessen (CAN) likely won't be considered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Salter said:

If they play in either the WHL, OHL, or QMJHL(the three collectively fall under the CHL) and are 19 or younger, they cannot play in the AHL. Hughes can play AHL because he’s a 1999 born player who has a year of college under his belt. Any players from Europe can play in the AHL. Players like Madden who are about to go to college can’t becuase of their age, they would have to either go NHL or one of the CHL leagues listed above.

 

Hughes (USA) NHL/AHL/College/CHL

Woo (Canada) NHL/WHL

Manukyan (Russia) NHL/KHL/AHL

Utunen (Finland) NHL/AHL/Liiga 

Madden (USA) NHL/College/CHL

Thiessen (CAN) NHL/College/CHL

 

 

Anybody feel free to correct me but I believe that’s how it goes. 

Utunen to the AHL!!! LESS GO!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Utunen to the AHL!!! LESS GO!!!

He has 1 more year on his contract with Tappara. Likely he plays in AHL for 19-20 season.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically I see:

 

Hughes: NHL / College 

Woo: WHL

Manukyan: KHL / MHL

Utunen: Liiga 

Madden: NCAA

Thiessen: NCAA / USHL 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

Realistically I see:

 

Hughes: NHL / College 

Woo: WHL

Manukyan: KHL / MHL

Utunen: Liiga 

Madden: NCAA

Thiessen: NCAA / USHL 

 

I believe Manukyan would be too old for the MHL this coming season as it's a junior (20 and under) league. It's either the KHL, AHL, or even the NHL for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I believe Manukyan would be too old for the MHL this coming season as it's a junior (20 and under) league. It's either the KHL, AHL, or even the NHL for him.

I read somewhere that Manukyan signed a 2 year contract in the KHL, so probably won't see him here for another couple of years.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pluralsight said:

I believe Manukyan would be too old for the MHL this coming season as it's a junior (20 and under) league. It's either the KHL, AHL, or even the NHL for him.

Good spot! Definitely looks like KHL thrnthen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Realistically I see:

 

Hughes: NHL / College 

Woo: WHL

Manukyan: KHL / MHL

Utunen: Liiga 

Madden: NCAA

Thiessen: NCAA / USHL 

 

I read somewhere Thiessen will stay in his league then move up to NCAA with Maine where he has committed himself to the year following. No idea if it's true read it on a news site tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can a player go back to college after they've signed a pro contract? I thought the whole idea of the NCAA is that there was to be no professional sports players playing on their teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I read somewhere that Manukyan signed a 2 year contract in the KHL, so probably won't see him here for another couple of years.

Agreed, I'm sure the Canucks would be happy to let him develop playing professional hockey in Russia but there is no recognition of NHL contracts in KHL and vice versa so theoretically he could jump ship and come over to play in N.America at any time.  If the Canucks have no confidence in Manukyan's team in developing the player then they will put pressure on him to bolt from Russia.  The NHL do recognise other European league contracts though, so Utunen may have to honour his Finnish contract before coming to N.America.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, danaimo said:

Agreed, I'm sure the Canucks would be happy to let him develop playing professional hockey in Russia but there is no recognition of NHL contracts in KHL and vice versa so theoretically he could jump ship and come over to play in N.America at any time.  If the Canucks have no confidence in Manukyan's team in developing the player then they will put pressure on him to bolt from Russia.  The NHL do recognise other European league contracts though, so Utunen may have to honour his Finnish contract before coming to N.America.    

I think the Canucks would have to buy out the contract (or the player has to buy out the contract himself, but I'm sure the team will help out in this case) if they want him to break his contract unless he has an out clause or something. I believe this is also the course of action required if we want to bring Tryamkin back, but Tryamkin seems committed to finishing out his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can a player go back to college after they've signed a pro contract? I thought the whole idea of the NCAA is that there was to be no professional sports players playing on their teams?

Nope, that's why for Hughes it's either make the leap to pro (NHL/AHL) or continue at college. He can't try it out then go back. Can't play pre-season games either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Can a player go back to college after they've signed a pro contract? I thought the whole idea of the NCAA is that there was to be no professional sports players playing on their teams?

Once you go pro, there is no going back to the NCAA. It’s why Brady hasn’t fully committed to signing his ELC now or after another year. It’s a pretty major decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Once you go pro, there is no going back to the NCAA. It’s why Brady hasn’t fully committed to signing his ELC now or after another year. It’s a pretty major decision.

Are these top prospects like Hughes and BT choosing the NCAA development route to get their degrees, or to become NHL players?  I think these top guys get their pro careers started this summer or next summer.  I think they went the NCAA route, because they felt it was best for them to get to the NHL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Salter said:

Nope, that's why for Hughes it's either make the leap to pro (NHL/AHL) or continue at college. He can't try it out then go back. Can't play pre-season games either.

I don't think he can participate in the prospect games or practices either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.