The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

57 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

To be fair, there have been good players falling to the end of the first round lately ie. Veleno and Tolvanen the last two years. Both seemed like no brainer picks that late, not sure why they dropped. 

It’s not fair no. Veleno and Tolvanen are no where near the same class as Boeser and Pastrnak. The original posters point stands. 

14 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It’s not fair no. Veleno and Tolvanen are no where near the same class as Boeser and Pastrnak. The original posters point stands. 

Too early to write off either especially Veleno, both have top line potential. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'd actually love to be that guy. :lol:

The benefit with our new, young core is that we already have play-drivers included in it. Horvat, Pettersson, and even Boeser are all players that drive play. Boldy has some of the same kinds of play-driving attributes as those guys, but I mainly see him as a perfect complementary piece for what we already have in place. We even have Hughes on the back end who is fully capable of pushing the play up ice, also making me comfortable with taking a complimentary style of D man like Soderstrom or Heinola. The only problem with those guys is that they're not very big, and I think that size on the back end is one of our biggest needs. I really like Broberg actually. Someone on here made this comparison a while back, but I agree that he is like a less abrasive Ed Jovonovski. 

I'd be fine with us drafting a "complementary" player, but it obviously depends on who the player is. I certainly have my questions and concerns about Caufield. I must admit, he looks like he can be an elite goal scorer one day - but we need to start thinking about adding more size to our top-6 forwards or top-4 D eventually. I'm hoping most for Boldy or Broberg at 10. And I think one of them will be available. I think... :lol:

I agree with all, I am a hard pass on Caufield given size and average skating. IMHO to play at a small size in the NHL still requires you to be an elite skater. As for play drivers, I don't think Boeser is really a 'driver'. He's a finisher, great complimentary player but not a creator. As good as Bo is, he's not really a creator either, I mean players that create opportunities for all the players on the ice, we lack that. Right now, we have Petey and QH. A guy who can make plays off the wing is what we need. That makes Bo better, it makes Jake better, and takes pressure of Petey and Boeser to be the guys all the time. Bo is developing and will continue to add facets to his game we don't expect, he's just that good and driven, but I think we need another top 6 who can create, so hockey IQ and playmaking ability are tops on the list for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would argue Bo is a creator, just more in a meat and potatoes kinda way. He has shown he is able to carry a line almost single handily, he is just not an elite playmaker. I do agree we do need another high end playmaker though in the top 6. I am hoping for Krebs or Zegras.    

Agreed, Horvat can create something out of nothing very quickly with pure brute strength and will power. Honestly, having a guy like Caufield would be beneficial, he rarely players with finishers. It would be interesting to see what he can do with some talent on his wing.

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would argue Bo is a creator, just more in a meat and potatoes kinda way. He has shown he is able to carry a line almost single handily, he is just not an elite playmaker. I do agree we do need another high end playmaker though in the top 6. I am hoping for Krebs or Zegras.    

Yes, I don't see him as Kelser ish in his ability to use his linemates, but his play is less creative than we'd like to have on the second line. Having a playmaker on that line would enhance our second tremendously.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Yes, I don't see him as Kelser ish in his ability to use his linemates, but his play is less creative than we'd like to have on the second line. Having a playmaker on that line would enhance our second tremendously.

If we somehow get Krebs and Bo takes him under his wing. I think they could become one of the top 2nd lines in the league eventually, especially come playoff time. 

In three years time:

UFA- Pettersson - Boeser

Krebs - Horvat - Virtanen is my pipe dream 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

He’s an average skater at best. He is a terrific scorer, but he’s small. Look at the nhl playoffs, small guys who are shifty and fast have trouble, we don’t need a one dimensional player who can’t contribute if not scoring and is not mobile/fast enough to create space and time and not have size. He’s not a “play driver” he’s a complimentary player with high risk of not being effective at the nhl level given the above. His bust potential is too high relative to his ceiling vis a vis other picks at #10. We cannot afford a bust this draft, and again, his overall game ceiling does not make him standout vs his peers at the same pick. 

Hard Pass

What do you know, do you get that he's an average skate , that pro scouts & analysts do not? I have watched him. But here is some analyst notes;

From his elite prospects profile;

A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam.                                                    Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition.

Skating

Caufield is a very good skater. While he has very good top end speed, his best attributes are his acceleration and agility. Caufield can dart in and out of open space quickly. He changes speeds and fools defenders as a result. He uses his edges very well and moves laterally with ease. This helps him to beat defenders in one-on-one situations, both with and without the puck. As mentioned Caufield lacks size. However, he has a very strong lower body and powerful stride. This gives him excellent balance and he is tough to knock off the puck or beat in battles in front of the net.

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'd actually love to be that guy. :lol:

The benefit with our new, young core is that we already have play-drivers included in it. Horvat, Pettersson, and even Boeser are all players that drive play. Boldy has some of the same kinds of play-driving attributes as those guys, but I mainly see him as a perfect complementary piece for what we already have in place. We even have Hughes on the back end who is fully capable of pushing the play up ice, also making me comfortable with taking a complimentary style of D man like Soderstrom or Heinola. The only problem with those guys is that they're not very big, and I think that size on the back end is one of our biggest needs. I really like Broberg actually. Someone on here made this comparison a while back, but I agree that he is like a less abrasive Ed Jovonovski. 

I'd be fine with us drafting a "complementary" player, but it obviously depends on who the player is. I certainly have my questions and concerns about Caufield. I must admit, he looks like he can be an elite goal scorer one day - but we need to start thinking about adding more size to our top-6 forwards or top-4 D eventually. I'm hoping most for Boldy or Broberg at 10. And I think one of them will be available. I think... :lol:

Here is the whole EP profile. The essence is he's right in the middle of it defensively, and in the offensive zone, disrupting, drawing attention, making plays.  He's a driver in his own style, not just a complementary player,

A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam. Defensively, he’s uncomfortable having the puck in his own end for long and he’ll make the extra effort to pressure around the blue line and take away cross-ice options. Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition. The hallmark of his game is his exceptional goal-scoring ability. He has a shot that absolutely leaps off his stick with pinpoint accuracy when he lets loose and a low centre of gravity that facilitates fast and flashy puckhandling at pace. He affords his linemates options by taking advantage of any allotted attention he garners, generating time and space by drawing guys in; he’s perpetually hard to play against. All-in-all, Cole Caufield is an electrifying goal-scoring machine that makes some of the most otherworldly plays look like child’s play. [EP 2019]

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we somehow get Krebs and Bo takes him under his wing. I think they could become one of the top 2nd lines in the league eventually, especially come playoff time. 

In three years time:

UFA- Pettersson - Boeser

Krebs - Horvat - Virtanen is my pipe dream 

Pop panarin in there haha

13 hours ago, groovy said:

Point being simply that with a deep draft I would definitely play "roulette" (based on the quality of your scouting staff) to try and grab a top 6 forward or top 4 D for the cost of an unproven 3rd line center.

But youre not grabbing a top 6 forward or a top 4 d. You are grabbing a chance at those type of players. Just look at Yakupov, Virtanen or Pujuljarvi. Nothing is a sure thing.

With Gaudette at least we know he is an NHL player. He is still developing and whilst his current projection is a 3c, doesn't mean he cant amount to more. Kesler was projected to be nothing more than a 20 goal 3rd line two way center. He sure surprised a lot of people around the league scoring 40 goals and cementing himself as a 2c. This isn't to say that Gaudette is the next Kesler but he has shown that he can play in the NHL whereas draft picks only show potential to do the same. I would not trade Gaudette and allow him to develop. He did a great job in his first year as pro basically showing he has what it takes to replace Sutter as our 3c in his rookie campaign.

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Pronman's rankings are out:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Caufield
6. Zegras
7. Cozens
8. Boldy
9. Broberg
10. Dach

podkolzin and krebs outside the top10.

If we could get Dach at 10, it would be like getting Pettersson and Hughes in the last two drafts!!!!

6 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Hobey baker winner doesn’t project as only a third Line centre. He has more talent than that, it’s simply where “he’s slotted in because of our young depth”.  The two names you mentioned Boeser and Pastrnak are not reflective of most late first rounders. Most don’t even make the NHL. As a result, even if he’s at worst a third line center with hands and a competitive fire we’re better off as we have a solid NHLer coming for certain. Ps Ryan Kesler was only supposed to be a shutdown Third line center as well. Would you trade Guadette for Gaunce? Because finding a Gaunce at 20-30 is a lot higher probability than finding a Boeser or Pastrnak 

Are you saying a hobey  baker winner is better than a 3rd line C?

hobey bakerr.PNG

A lot of players MUCH worse than NHL 3rd line Cs in the list of hobey baker winners.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Are you saying a hobey  baker winner is better than a 3rd line C?

Alot of players MUCH worse than 3rd line Cs in the list of hobey baker winners.

hobey bakerr.PNG

I'm saying OUR hobey baker winner has shown he has the tools to be more. Anyone can see that. And he's certainly better than gaunce. Give it a rest

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What do you know, do you get that he's an average skate , that pro scouts & analysts do not? I have watched him. But here is some analyst notes;

From his elite prospects profile;

A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam.                                                    Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition.

Skating

Caufield is a very good skater. While he has very good top end speed, his best attributes are his acceleration and agility. Caufield can dart in and out of open space quickly. He changes speeds and fools defenders as a result. He uses his edges very well and moves laterally with ease. This helps him to beat defenders in one-on-one situations, both with and without the puck. As mentioned Caufield lacks size. However, he has a very strong lower body and powerful stride. This gives him excellent balance and he is tough to knock off the puck or beat in battles in front of the net.

Here is the whole EP profile. The essence is he's right in the middle of it defensively, and in the offensive zone, disrupting, drawing attention, making plays.  He's a driver in his own style, not just a complementary player,

A game-breaking goal scorer that, despite his diminutive frame, thrives under pressure and is difficult to contain. He’s a silky smooth skater that traverses all three zones with jump and jam. Defensively, he’s uncomfortable having the puck in his own end for long and he’ll make the extra effort to pressure around the blue line and take away cross-ice options. Upon procuring puck possession, he’ll be the first to explode up ice in-transition. The hallmark of his game is his exceptional goal-scoring ability. He has a shot that absolutely leaps off his stick with pinpoint accuracy when he lets loose and a low centre of gravity that facilitates fast and flashy puckhandling at pace. He affords his linemates options by taking advantage of any allotted attention he garners, generating time and space by drawing guys in; he’s perpetually hard to play against. All-in-all, Cole Caufield is an electrifying goal-scoring machine that makes some of the most otherworldly plays look like child’s play. [EP 2019]

As many times as this is posted, some posters continue on their narrative that Caufield can't skate. They base it on nothing and then just type it over and over thinking that makes it real lmao.:picard:

I don't like Caufield's size so would be wary of picking him. But saying he can't skate is stupid lmao.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I'm saying OUR hobey baker winner has shown he has the tools to be more. Anyone can see that. And he's certainly better than gaunce. Give it a rest

Yeah ok Mr. Pro Scout lol.

I really like Gaudette but we don't know how he will develop. Your comment that hobey baker winners are better than NHL 3Cs tells me all I need to know about you and your posts.

But keep on homering ...  homer homerson.  :frantic:

• Haha 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

Yeah ok Mr. Pro Scout lol.

I really like Gaudette but we don't know how he will develop. Your comment that hobey baker winners are better than NHL 3Cs tells me all I need to know about you and your posts.

But keep on homering ...  homer homerson.  :frantic:

you seem angry. I hope you can find some assistance for your metal health challenges. Its not balanced to get angry and insult people on message boards when discussing a hockey team.

Please go here if you need some assistance mindcheck.ca

Be well

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I could see another weird draft where we think we know whats going to happen then some random name is called like if Buffalo takes Bobby Brink with the 7th overall

I like brink. But dont think names like him or lets say heinola are going to be overdrafted this year.