Sign in to follow this  
debluvscanucks

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO, the truck driver was paying complete attention, but chose to ignore the stopping process.  He didn't want to gear down, come to a stop, and then gear back up again.  Which is both uncomfortable and time consuming.  I don't know if these intersections have recording devices, but I think they all should.  I would bet this truck driver isn't the only one who ignores stopping.  

Hopefully he's completely truthful.  

I tend to think so too.  Which makes it unforgiveable...because he would have "chosen" not to rather than just missing something.  Much easier to swallow if he just didn't "see" it, but how could he not??

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I tend to think so too.  Which makes it unforgiveable...because he would have "chosen" not to rather than just missing something.  Much easier to swallow if he just didn't "see" it, but how could he not??

It's a tragedy that never should have happened.  @chon derry has pointed out about too many truck drivers not being properly trained now.  Maybe this tragedy will get all drivers properly trained? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I tend to think so too.  Which makes it unforgiveable...because he would have "chosen" not to rather than just missing something.  Much easier to swallow if he just didn't "see" it, but how could he not??

originally he used the excuse the sun was in his  eyes , lame. thats  more the reason to slow down ,sun glass's sun visor , pull over . it being a Friday nite , and him being 8to 10 hrs out from Calgary , i'm thinkin he just wants to  get home, factor in the guy being a little over whelmed ,. long hrs lousy pay he just wanted to get home , also being fairly new to the country , all these factors play into him really not wanting to be there ,  

Edited by chon derry
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This a problem not only in trucking industry but construction and other trades. Good companies that spend money on extra drivers. Giving proper breaks. Proper training and maintenance. They do everything right. Then they get undercut by small firms. That drive unsafe vehicles and have drivers work overtime without proper rest. Making the roads unsafe just to make a profit. That’s why I want the owner not to just be fined. But serve jail time. And not be allowed to hold an NSC  in North America.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I guess I feel life should be somewhat difficult for him....again, thinking of how the lives of those families will be from this point onward.

 

He is a danger when he's driving...if he couldn't be counted on in a big rig, where one should be fully focused and engaged on the road, why should we trust him in a vehicle of any sort?  I don't want someone like this on the road...with a blatant disregard of signage and flashing lights.

 

Let's face it...he really has to pay some sort of consequences for his actions in order to deter him from feeling like he got away with this.  Many people earn a living who don't drive...so I'm not overly concerned about inconveniencing him.  Let's put this in perspective...in some places, he may receive the death penalty for this crime.  So sure, I'm perfectly ok with him having enough freedom to carry on in life, but not handing him the keys to another vehicle.  He blew that one.

 

I consider both (punishment and how much of a danger he is).  Seems to me a driving ban would be suitable in this situation.  Look, if you have an "accident", fine.  But if you blow through a stop sign at high speed in a big rig that takes time to slow down/stop in and kill several people, that's something quite different.  That's (very) dangerous driving.  The bus full of kids didn't stand a chance....even WITH the driver braking, hard and trying to avoid this guy.  He left them no "outs" in this.

As I said earlier, if we feel that life should be hard on him, then he should go to jail. I just don't see a lifetime ban on any kind of driving as anything other making it difficult for him to earn a living. If that's what you want, then fine. No need to discuss further.

 

However, I disagree that he's a danger when he's driving.

 

It's difficult to explain to someone who hasn't driven the back roads of Saskatchewan extensively, but the gist is, you can drive for literally hours without seeing another vehicle. I believe the truck driver got complacent and didn't bother stopping, because he assumed he was alone of the road. A stupid assumption, I agree, but I don't agree that this makes him dangerous, if he's driving a car to a job in a city.

 

In any event, agree to disagree on this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As I said earlier, if we feel that life should be hard on him, then he should go to jail. I just don't see a lifetime ban on any kind of driving as anything other making it difficult for him to earn a living. If that's what you want, then fine. No need to discuss further.

 

However, I disagree that he's a danger when he's driving.

 

It's difficult to explain to someone who hasn't driven the back roads of Saskatchewan extensively, but the gist is, you can drive for literally hours without seeing another vehicle. I believe the truck driver got complacent and didn't bother stopping, because he assumed he was alone of the road. A stupid assumption, I agree, but I don't agree that this makes him dangerous, if he's driving a car to a job in a city.

 

In any event, agree to disagree on this point.

I don’t fully buy that.  But I will admit everyone is different relative to their approach to driving.

 

i worked in Saskatoon and surrounding small towns for four years and north to lake waskesiu.  If it was a controlled intersection I stopped every time.  Some rural roads aren’t and ya might do a slow roll but I’d say I dropped down to no faster than 15-20km at those.

 

when you see those rigs coming from a ways a way at speed it is intimidating and because they can be deceiving in speed and distance I’d wait for a very clear opportunity to cross or merge etc.

 

imo,

 

he hadn’t been driving long enough career wise to have grown complacent and if he had been driving long enough he would have known about how deceptive those roads can be and how truly horrific some of the accidents on the praries are.  

 

I would be be more inclined to agree if it was a repeat route for him but I don’t think this is the case.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether the driver feels remorse or not, only he knows for sure.   You can't really tell by looking at someone's face if that person is truly remorseful or is just an act.  Perhaps he is just feeling sorry for himself.

 

Whatever the case, he probably got legal advice from his lawyer to plead guilty because of his chances for acquittal was probably very slim.   Since he pleaded guilty that will factor into his sentencing.   He may end up getting a more lenient sentence than if it went to trial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sentencing hearing for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu begins this week:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/broncos-families-prepare-for-sentencing-hearing/ar-BBSNw30?li=AAggXBV

 

Seems like opinion among the victims' families is divided, as to what sort of sentence Sidhu should receive:

Quote

 

Sidhu pleaded guilty earlier this month to 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death, which carries a maximum sentence of 14 years each, as well as 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm, which carries a maximum 10 years.

Lawyer Mark Brayford said after the guilty plea that Sidhu, 30, wanted to take responsibility to avoid a trial and more hurt for the families.

Joseph said he wants the Crown to ask for the highest sentence possible, although he also believes the trucker isn't totally at fault. "He might be a bit of a victim in this whole thing too, because he never should have been behind the wheel."

 

It's unclear from the article whether the 10 year max charge would be for each count, but since it specifies that the first charge is, I assume that the second would be as well. Adding it all up, it translates into about 350 years in prison. (If you didn't click the link, "Joseph" is the last name of one of the parents of a player who was killed in the crash)

 

Others are calling for a lesser sentence:

Quote

 

Toby Boulet of Lethbridge, Alta., will set eyes on Sidhu for the first time since he saw him at the crash that killed Boulet's 21-year-old son Logan. Boulet remembers Sidhu was agitated and talking to someone in uniform.

Boulet is also delivering a victim impact statement, but he said the most important thing for him will be to learn what happened. All that's now known is that the semi was on a secondary road with a stop sign. The bus had the right of way. RCMP have only said publicly that the truck was in the intersection when the collision occurred.

"I want to know what he did or didn't do," said Boulet, who added that it doesn't matter to him what sentence Sidhu gets.

"I'd like to see him serve more than a day in jail, but ultimately he did not get up that morning ... and say, 'I'm going to run into a bus and have a crash and kill 16 people and injure 13 for life.'"

 

Quote

 

Ryan Straschnitzki, 19, of Airdrie, Alta., is one of two players paralyzed in the crash. He has been busy with rehabilitation, didn't want to write a victim impact statement and says he and his parents aren't going to the hearing.

"That's none of our business anymore. It's the judge, it's the police, and I don't really see any point in going," he said.

"It's in the past and I'm here now and I'm lucky."

 

 

So how does CDC feel? Throw the book at him? 10 years? We've already seen calls for a lifetime driving ban. Anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The sentencing hearing for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu begins this week:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/broncos-families-prepare-for-sentencing-hearing/ar-BBSNw30?li=AAggXBV

 

Seems like opinion among the victims' families is divided, as to what sort of sentence Sidhu should receive:

It's unclear from the article whether the 10 year max charge would be for each count, but since it specifies that the first charge is, I assume that the second would be as well. Adding it all up, it translates into about 350 years in prison. (If you didn't click the link, "Joseph" is the last name of one of the parents of a player who was killed in the crash)

 

Others are calling for a lesser sentence:

 

So how does CDC feel? Throw the book at him? 10 years? We've already seen calls for a lifetime driving ban. Anything else?

Ultimately the laws that are in place should dictate the sentence.  Having said that I agree with Boulet.

 

what needs to happen is stricter legislation going forward relative to commercial vehicle transport safety.  And the owner of the trucking business in question should never be able to operate the business again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Ultimately the laws that are in place should dictate the sentence.  Having said that I agree with Boulet.

 

what needs to happen is stricter legislation going forward relative to commercial vehicle transport safety.  And the owner of the trucking business in question should never be able to operate the business again.

I too am on board with Boulet's opinion. I think a year or two in jail plus a three year driving ban is appropriate, possibly along with a lifetime ban on anything over a class 3 license.

 

That being said, I didn't lose a family member, so it's hard to be critical of Mr. Joseph's stance, although for all intents and purposes, it amounts to life in prison. Considering what he said about Sidhu "not being totally at fault", I wonder if he realized that the maximum sentence was for each count. It could be that he wants 14 years, which still seems excessive to me, but again, it wasn't my son killed in the crash.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

what needs to happen is stricter legislation going forward relative to commercial vehicle transport safety.  And the owner of the trucking business in question should never be able to operate the business again.

This.^

Sadly, while there maybe talk and some actual good change to the regs and laws, these changes will be whittled away over the following years. People can learn from history, but they also forget because those lessons happened so long ago according to the next generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gurn said:

This.^

Sadly, while there maybe talk and some actual good change to the regs and laws, these changes will be whittled away over the following years. People can learn from history, but they also forget because those lessons happened so long ago according to the next generation.

Which raises the arguement that the law has the opportunity to make an example here with a very stiff sentence that includes the owner of the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Which raises the arguement that the law has the opportunity to make an example here with a very stiff sentence that includes the owner of the business.

I agree with you and gurn, but I also think we have to be careful about blaming a lack of training for this incident.

 

I think there's little doubt that Sidhu was inadequately trained and the owner of the company deserves to be charged because of it, but blowing through a stop sign is not a symptom of improper training. It was pure negligence on the part of Sidhu.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Which raises the arguement that the law has the opportunity to make an example here with a very stiff sentence that includes the owner of the business.

They will make an example of this guy, no matter the sentence. 

 Imo: within 5 years of this guy's conviction a provincial trucking lobby group will approach Transport Canada asking for the regs to be loosened up, due to financial concerns.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree with you and gurn, but I also think we have to be careful about blaming a lack of training for this incident.

 

I think there's little doubt that Sidhu was inadequately trained and the owner of the company deserves to be charged because of it, but blowing through a stop sign is not a symptom of improper training. It was pure negligence on the part of Sidhu.

For sure.  The ultimate responsibility lies with the driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gurn said:

They will make an example of this guy, no matter the sentence. 

 Imo: within 5 years of this guy's conviction a provincial trucking lobby group will approach Transport Canada asking for the regs to be loosened up, due to financial concerns.

 

I suppose that all depends on politics within the associations.  @chon derry May have some insight here.  By the sounds of it there are legit operations that have been calling for improved safety and qualification requirements for some time - to the point of a foreshadowed warning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I am in no way absolving the driver for his actions, but I believe that one thing they have to do is address that blind corner.

 

It's a tough thing for the owner of the property there, because trees in Saskatchewan are quite often planted as wind breaks, but I think improving the safety of that intersection by eliminating anything that might block a driver's vision, is a common sense measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.