The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals re-sign Tom Wilson

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Sorry I meant in regards to Wilson vs Virtanen. Horvat is infinitely more value than Wilson of course. 

He is now (in terms of Virtanen) but take Wilson back to same age and Virtanen (Wilson is about 2.5 years older) and playing for a much better team (more offense), Wilson had come off a three season stretch that included benchings, AHL stint and full season goal totals of 3, 4 and 7 for those three years.   Past two years, years Jake hasn't played yet, Wilson had 7 and 14 goals.

Jake is a far faster skater and likely will be a better scorer at NHL level as well.   I believe he could match Wilson for physicality as well but he needs to show it over the next two years.     

Put it another way, two seasons ago telling people in Washington that Wilson would ink a contract of this nature would get a more "WTF?!" reaction than it may in Vancouver if you said that was in the cards for Virtanen in two seasons.

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Anyone?  Other than Guddy, that is...

Tom Wilson can whoop my ass at hockey (some random loser from BC), therefore he is worth 5 mil. That is essentially what he is saying here.

On a side not Micheal Ferland's eyes just lit up. He's better offensively than Wilson, and just as annoying and tough to play against. If Wilson is worth 5 mil Ferland should definitely be in the realm of 5 mil.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Tom Wilson can whoop my ass at hockey (some random loser from BC), therefore he is worth 5 mil. That is essentially what he is saying here.

On a side not Micheal Ferland's eyes just lit up. He's better offensively than Wilson, and just as annoying and tough to play against. If Wilson is worth 5 mil Ferland should definitely be in the realm of 5 mil.

Ferland may be a bit better offensively but as a physical presence he's not at Wilson's level. 

He brings more than our 6 for 6 mistake. 

maybe an over payment but he keeps other teams on there’s heels and looking over there shoulders which opens up a lot of opportunities. He was a big part of there post season succes if he can grow as a player like burrows did it won’t be a  bad deal. 

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is now (in terms of Virtanen) but take Wilson back to same age and Virtanen (Wilson is about 2.5 years older) and playing for a much better team (more offense), Wilson had come off a three season stretch that included benchings, AHL stint and full season goal totals of 3, 4 and 7 for those three years.   Past two years, years Jake hasn't played yet, Wilson had 7 and 14 goals.

Jake is a far faster skater and likely will be a better scorer at NHL level as well.   I believe he could match Wilson for physicality as well but he needs to show it over the next two years.     

Put it another way, two seasons ago telling people in Washington that Wilson would ink a contract of this nature would get a more "WTF?!" reaction than it may in Vancouver if you said that was in the cards for Virtanen in two seasons.

Fair enough 

On 7/28/2018 at 3:23 AM, Steven Stamkos said:

And the worst contact of the off season goes to the Capitals

Well they won the cup so all is forgiven if the signing turns out to be a  disaster. If Vancouver won the cup in 2011 I think people would have forgiven if Gillis re-signed Ballard to a 7 year $9 million AAV contract. 

9 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

No, not really. He had a pretty good year this year, but he played the whole season on the Flames' undisputed top offensive line. And the talk in Calgary has been how much the team needed a much better player for that line.

I'd say offense is a wash. But Wilson is far more effective defensively. And he's stayed remarkably healthy considering his style of play - Ferland has had some injury trouble.

That said, I certainly agree that Ferland's eyes lit up! He'll definitely use this as a comparable.

On 7/28/2018 at 2:07 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

It isn't my only impression. He can finish and he makes room for his teammates out on the ice.

He is a force out there, but as a Canucks fan I'm happy that there is a player in Gudbranson on this team, who manhandled him after he was essentially mugged by Wilson. 

Washington is doing a decent job of keeping the band together. 

OK, I took that post as less of a cheer for Gudbrandson and more of a sarcastic diss at Wilson (and the Caps mgmt for signing him to that deal).

3 hours ago, Undrafted said:

OK, I took that post as less of a cheer for Gudbrandson and more of a sarcastic diss at Wilson (and the Caps mgmt for signing him to that deal).

Wilson acted like a bit of an ass when he played against Vancouver. Mugging Guddy wasn't the smartest plan especially with his team down by 3 goals. 

That being said, he was extremely effective in the playoffs and earned his contract. 

Archived