Sign in to follow this  
vannuck59

Protecting our stars (Poll)

Rate this topic

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

giphy.gif

 

 

It's called hockey.   Every player, including stars, gets hit and cross-checked.   

 

Give it a rest.   This isn't ice dance or flag football.

 

 

Then don't call any of it.  That's my issue...not THAT it happens, because it does.  But Bo gets a ridiculous penalty meanwhile Brock's just been smashed and...nothing.  The inconsistency.

 

Look, I like hard hitting hockey...what I don't like is the refs interfering and creating momentum shifts through calls.  And, in the event they do, get them all.  Or at least the very obvious ones that are being ignored.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DS4quality said:

We're already down 6 players how many more should we lose before someone steps up. 

Body slamming is not hockey

Hits from behind are not part of the game

Blaltent headshots are hockey? 

C'mon Rob even you know better

 

Yes, let's fight those pucks that break fingers and boards that tweak ribs.   Next time a blocked shot hurts someone, shut down the vulcanizing plant.

 

Look around the league at how players hit each other.   The only "blatant head shots" have been on EP40 (discussed to death, team didn't see /story) and the issue with Baer.   Everything else has been simply part of the game.   Canucks give as much as they take.   Injuries are for all sorts of reasons but other than Baer and EP40, not for anything related to cross-line hits.   Look at other injuries in the league and other hits on a nightly basis.

 

Hits from behind are indeed not part of the game but they happen in EVERY game.   Guddy does it to other players.   Virtanen does it.   Where is your whine about those guys?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Then don't call any of it.  That's my issue...not THAT it happens, because it does.  IBut Bo gets a ridiculous penalty meanwhile Brock's just been smashed and...nothing.  The inconsistency.

 

Look, I like hard hitting hockey...what I don't like is the refs interfering and creating momentum shifts through calls.  And, in the event they do, get them all.  Or at least the very obvious ones that are being ignored.

 

 

Refs are not magical creatures who see everything or get everything they see "right".   I don't subscribe to the notion there is an anti-Canuck reffing conspiracy.   Bo took a legitimate tripping penalty in the last game as he didn't get the puck first.   Anyone who thinks that isn't a call is simply having homer bias.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mll said:

Colorado probably still remember that MacKinnon missed over 2 weeks last season with an upper body injury after a hit by Edler.

A reverse hit, might I add. Mackinnon was trying to dish it out to Eddie in the corner and Eddie caught him hard and clean in the chest. It doesn't get much classier or cleaner with regards to physical play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

 

Hits from behind are indeed not part of the game but they happen in EVERY game.   Guddy does it to other players.   Virtanen does it.   Where is your whine about those guys?

It's not our job to whine...their fans likely do though.  We're not "special" or unique when we expect dirty plays to be addressed, other fans also cry out just like we do.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darius said:
4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

giphy.gif

 

 

It's called hockey.   Every player, including stars, gets hit and cross-checked.   

 

Give it a rest.   This isn't ice dance or flag football.

 

 

If those guys can fill that role that’s great. Just haven’t seen anything yet.  I get it that roussel is coming off a head injury himself.  And to be fair Schaller was in landeskogs ear all night. Just would like to see something immediate after one of the stars is mauled. 

Like you said cheap shots are part  of the game well the game has changed get the cheap shots out If you bulled a player and its accepted  you will continue until someone comes along and beats your lips off. Then you would stop. No one said it was dance or flag football. Until someone is killed or injured to the point that his career is ended.  Will things change then. Maybe! Apparently you don't care that your star  players are cheap shoted as long as you can do that to other players. LOL

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Refs are not magical creatures who see everything or get everything they see "right".   I don't subscribe to the notion there is an anti-Canuck reffing conspiracy.   Bo took a legitimate tripping penalty in the last game as he didn't get the puck first.   Anyone who thinks that isn't a call is simply having homer bias.    

Name calling doesn't even warrant a response.

 

I was at the game and not a magical creature, but I saw them.  

 

But carry on without me...the "conspiracy", "homer" stuff isn't worth my time.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yes, let's fight those pucks that break fingers and boards that tweak ribs.   Next time a blocked shot hurts someone, shut down the vulcanizing plant.

 

Look around the league at how players hit each other.   The only "blatant head shots" have been on EP40 (discussed to death, team didn't see /story) and the issue with Baer.   Everything else has been simply part of the game.   Canucks give as much as they take.   Injuries are for all sorts of reasons but other than Baer and EP40, not for anything related to cross-line hits.   Look at other injuries in the league and other hits on a nightly basis.

 

Hits from behind are indeed not part of the game but they happen in EVERY game.   Guddy does it to other players.   Virtanen does it.   Where is your whine about those guys?

No way man take your blinders off the Motte hit was terrible, Stecher was no accident, if Brock didn't come back last night you'd be ok? The league is doing nothing nor the refs. It's not part of hockey so you shouldn't accept it

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

No way man take your blinders off the Motte hit was terrible, Stecher was no accident, if Brock didn't come back last night you'd be ok? The league is doing nothing nor the refs. It's not part of hockey so you shouldn't accept it

Then there's Baer too...who's still out.  But..nothing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vannuck59 said:

Like you said cheap shots are part  of the game well the game has changed get the cheap shots out If you bulled a player and its accepted  you will continue until someone comes along and beats your lips off. Then you would stop. No one said it was dance or flag football. Until someone is killed or injured to the point that his career is ended.  Will things change then. Maybe! Apparently you don't care that your star  players are cheap shoted as long as you can do that to other players. LOL

Yup, that's it.   I don't care about star players.   You nailed it.   Great analysis.

 

Watch any game.   Your Canucks are equally capable of giving as much as they take.   They are not angels.   The refs and the league do make mistakes but in general they do catch the important ones.   Canucks are not getting "picked on" by other teams any more than any other fanbase feels the same about their own team.   Canucks are doing better than the NHL average in hits/game and many feel there are some Canucks that play fairly close to and over the line on a nightly basis and they always "get away with it".

 

I know there remain a few who are emotionally upset about the hit in EP40.   I get that.   However, there is no evidence from this season anyone on the Canucks is getting any different treatment than any other player in the league gets every single game.   Try watching a game with another team's perspective next time and see if hits by Virtanen, MDZ, Guddy, DR etc. don't "piss you off" as nothing was called or it was "cheap" etc.

 

That is all I am saying.  I get you have Canuck focus, but if you look at it with as much unbias as you can, there isn't anything unusual with your team at all.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

No way man take your blinders off the Motte hit was terrible, Stecher was no accident, if Brock didn't come back last night you'd be ok? The league is doing nothing nor the refs. It's not part of hockey so you shouldn't accept it

?!?   The player who hit him looked shocked that it even happened.   Do you read minds?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

?!?   The player who hit him looked shocked that it even happened.   Do you read minds?    

And his arms naturally hang at Stecher's head? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, that's it.   I don't care about star players.   You nailed it.   Great analysis.

 

Watch any game.   Your Canucks are equally capable of giving as much as they take.   They are not angels.   The refs and the league do make mistakes but in general they do catch the important ones.   Canucks are not getting "picked on" by other teams any more than any other fanbase feels the same about their own team.   Canucks are doing better than the NHL average in hits/game and many feel there are some Canucks that play fairly close to and over the line on a nightly basis and they always "get away with it".

 

I know there remain a few who are emotionally upset about the hit in EP40.   I get that.   However, there is no evidence from this season anyone on the Canucks is getting any different treatment than any other player in the league gets every single game.   Try watching a game with another team's perspective next time and see if hits by Virtanen, MDZ, Guddy, DR etc. don't "piss you off" as nothing was called or it was "cheap" etc.

 

That is all I am saying.  I get you have Canuck focus, but if you look at it with as much unbias as you can, there isn't anything unusual with your team at all.

You know as well as I that when the playoffs start its all out war . If you take the Olympics the games are fast but there are no cheap shot artists playing it best on best. That's what us real hockey fans want not bully cheat and cheap shot. If you cant play the game fairly don't play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

?!?   The player who hit him looked shocked that it even happened.   Do you read minds?    

The Motte hit was deliberate. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Name calling doesn't even warrant a response.

 

I was at the game...if I saw stuff the ref standing right there likely should have too.

 

But carry on without me...the "conspiracy", "homer" isn't worth my time.

Name calling?  You worry about players name calling?    I get your passion but you are only seeing what happens to Canuck players.   Watch a game with the other team's eyes for a change and see if you don't change your tune.   

 

Look, I am a Canuck fan.  I also have many times say how much I enjoy your passion for the team.   However, on this one I don't see the traction.   Some hits are worse than others and some get missed but the Canucks are no worse at having bad hits that get missed than any other team.   There is no conspiracy.   I watch a lot of hockey.    I watch it for a variety of reasons inclusive of for work and I can say that there are at least ten issues a period that could be a penalty that are not and therefore qualify as "missed by the ref and/or the league".   I have never noticed a tendency for any one team to get the burden of those against them and certainly not the Canucks.   No question the crap on Boeser and Motte last night was just that - crap - and it annoyed me when I watched the recording but I also say a couple on Kerfoot and GL that were less than pleasant by the Canucks that I am sure the Avs fans were less than happy about.

 

There is nothing wrong with having a home team bias but it seems this one area is taken to extremes on this board.    The players in the room don't feel "picked on" and most would be horrified to think that someone else had to fight their battles.   Moreover, none of them are angels - you don't get to the NHL or any top hockey league being such.   

 

This trend of identity the Canucks are showing is excellent - a true team that works hard and plays on the edge.   What isn't real, however, if that they are being unfairly treated by refs or the league.   It just doesn't wash when you watch other teams and other games.    Sorry if that offends you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

And his arms naturally hang at Stecher's head? 

Have you played hockey?   Things happen very quickly.   That play he was looking for a pass, looks up and instinctively raises his arms.   It happens.    Things don't happen in replay slow motion and you are not just looking from overhead when you play - at ice level a lot is going on and things happen at a pace that very often, you end up running into someone.   Look at number of times teammates crash into each other or a ref.    

 

I see a pile on happening in this thread as many of you seemingly feel the Canucks are being picked on by other teams and the refs and league are doing nothing to help.    It is unfortunate you are seeing it that way as instead of enjoying one of the truly good NHL stories so far this year and watching your team with focus on the steps it is taking, you are preoccupied with an issue that only exists by viewing bias.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

The Motte hit was deliberate. 

Confirmed, you read minds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i agree rob, my son who played minor hockey and use to ref, still complains about questionable hits on our players, but never complains when one of our players, cheap shots an opponent. our players will only react to what they deem as a cheap shot hit on our players. the cross check on brock, happens in every game played. 

 

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Name calling?  You worry about players name calling?    I get your passion but you are only seeing what happens to Canuck players.   Watch a game with the other team's eyes for a change and see if you don't change your tune.   

 

Look, I am a Canuck fan.  I also have many times say how much I enjoy your passion for the team.   However, on this one I don't see the traction.   Some hits are worse than others and some get missed but the Canucks are no worse at having bad hits that get missed than any other team.   There is no conspiracy.   I watch a lot of hockey.    I watch it for a variety of reasons inclusive of for work and I can say that there are at least ten issues a period that could be a penalty that are not and therefore qualify as "missed by the ref and/or the league".   I have never noticed a tendency for any one team to get the burden of those against them and certainly not the Canucks.   No question the crap on Boeser and Motte last night was just that - crap - and it annoyed me when I watched the recording but I also say a couple on Kerfoot and GL that were less than pleasant by the Canucks that I am sure the Avs fans were less than happy about.

 

There is nothing wrong with having a home team bias but it seems this one area is taken to extremes on this board.    The players in the room don't feel "picked on" and most would be horrified to think that someone else had to fight their battles.   Moreover, none of them are angels - you don't get to the NHL or any top hockey league being such.   

 

This trend of identity the Canucks are showing is excellent - a true team that works hard and plays on the edge.   What isn't real, however, if that they are being unfairly treated by refs or the league.   It just doesn't wash when you watch other teams and other games.    Sorry if that offends you.

Man. What we need is a carl racki  to protect our players. He gave those hamilton mustangs no quarter and he especially intimidated that youngblood fellow by beating his mentor derek sutton. If we pick him up, then the rest of the league will piss their pants in fear of us. Thus allowing us to win the cup and let ep40 break every single season record there is. Problem solved.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh,  mine was directed at the refs, not the team.  They just have to get these things in check.  Maybe they could start stopping games to look for them if that's what it takes? 

Oh got you! 

 

Yes they missed that hit hit on Boeser and they missed one where forget who it was but they hit EP into boards held him against the boards long (holding) and gave an extra little hit too. 

 

And game before stecher yea.

 

Stopping the game I do not like, as it affects flow etc. but I think they definitely need to do something because reffing has been really inconsistent this season and I'm thinking the speed of the game is just too much for them now.

 

I think a system where the refs have 1/2 refs above watching that cancommunictae with them through their headsets could be a more seamless way of getting it right. 

 

But regardless I agree they need to make a change soon 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.