The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 11, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Not sure about logistics in acquiring players on short notice but that should have been mission no 1 the minute Demko went down. If I was to find out that JB has been working hard at this to no avail then ok. But if management decided that it wasn’t a glaring immediate need then I’m choked. Especially being in this supposed “wildcard race”. 

I think it's almost a certainty they have been looking into it but with Demko only out for a relatively short time I wouldn't expect them to move heaven and Earth to get a depth goalie.  You can't sign a guy for 10 days like the NBA ; and could you imagine the uproar if they gave up say, a draft pick, and then when healthy (shortly) have to waive the guy ?

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As I said before, I think (not a fact) the Sharks let up after going up a few goals.  Could have been even worse had they shown no mercy like cobra kai...

Completely agree... the Sharks clearly let up after it was 6-1... when the Canucks made it 6-2, they bore down again and popped another one to kill any comeback.

They were on cruise after the sixth goal... they were not interested in rubbing it in... almost all their passes were directed to Kane in case he wanted the hat-trick.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Brian Campbell retired...:P

Or much like Lucic, the league got very fast and mobile over the course of a one season. Guddy can still play but is better suited to a team that crashes and bangs, has a hard backcheck/backpressure that limits time and space for players to dangle. Think Nashville, SJ, LA (of the past), Boston etc. Moreover, come playoff time, when time and space decrease for everyone as teams go full out both ways, and refs let more go, he becomes very valuable. We need to move him to a contender in need of a stay at home guy who can focus on playing hard down low and as a #5 or 6. He doesn't 'fit' our team needs as our defense is so weak it exposes his weaknesses and he can't play to his strengths.

Just now, 40Dangles said:

Or much like Lucic, the league got very fast and mobile over the course of a one season. Guddy can still play but is better suited to a team that crashes and bangs, has a hard backcheck/backpressure that limits time and space for players to dangle. Think Nashville, SJ, LA (of the past), Boston etc. Moreover, come playoff time, when time and space decrease for everyone as teams go full out both ways, and refs let more go, he becomes very valuable. We need to move him to a contender in need of a stay at home guy who can focus on playing hard down low and as a #5 or 6. He doesn't 'fit' our team needs as our defense is so weak it exposes his weaknesses and he can't play to his strengths.

Regardless of team style or system, he needs an offensive dynamo like Campbell (hopefully Hughes can be that guy) or someday really steady like Edler to flourish.  Otherwise it’s like the old Edler/Bieksa pairing...horrible together but separated you get two top 4D.

28 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Just curios how many teams in the midst of a run for a playoff spot we’re forced to start a 19 year old inexperienced goalie because they had no other options left. Methinks there is a major fail somewhere.

Tell me, aside from the Flyers, how many other teams had bad luck with goalie injuries this year, regardless of if they are contenders or not?

Markstrom's first 'Nuck game vs Sharks was apocalyptic. I think his avg was like 33.00 for a number of wks, with sv % about .250%?! What was he, 24 or 25 yrs old?

Dipietro will be okay.

Rather irked they haven't given Brisebois a shot. As if our D is some fine tuned machine we need to keep rolling out. Too afraid to make bold changes, now it's being forced upon them.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Regardless of team style or system, he needs an offensive dynamo like Campbell (hopefully Hughes can be that guy) or someday really steady like Edler to flourish.  Otherwise it’s like the old Edler/Bieksa pairing...horrible together but separated you get two top 4D.

Let's hope JB can convince Buffalo they need him next to Dhalin and we can get one of their 3 first rounders! that's who i'd target, they have too many picks anyways and alot of young depth.

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Markstrom's first 'Nuck game vs Sharks was apocalyptic. I think his avg was like 33.00 for a number of wks, with sv % about .250%?! What was he, 24 or 25 yrs old?

Dipietro will be okay.

Rather irked they haven't given Brisebois a shot. As if our D is some fine tuned machine we need to keep rolling out. Too afraid to make bold changes, now it's being forced upon them.

I think the season has definitely shown fans one major thing. Those that harped on Edler are seeing how valuable he is to our team, and even when he has to play the role of a number 1 when he's really a number 2. I hope we can trade and re-sign him, but if he won't waive and wants to just re-sign, who cares. He is a very big part of our team. He stabilizes a very weak d corps and we are a tire fire without the guy. Really has never got the respect he deserves, hopefully the haters are learning what he means to our team.

Okay...was planning on reading every page....but man too negitive

DiPietro felt crazy fortunate to be in the game, and I would bet he said OH Boy! here t comes!

After the show, he says all the right things, which mean he had digested the game already

He knows, the reality......not worried about him......loved his focus, trying to control the bleeding, it was awesome!

McEwen, was great with no practice, I mean really, great hands (really great hands)top 5 on the team IMO

Great size, not concerned with that stuff, skating I couldn't see, but he did not seem late anywhere, might have blown a couple of coverages

But, I would like to see more of that please!

Defense....Tanev playing wrong side, Hutton and Stecher trying to lead and probably over extended...don't even want to take about the other ones

We have a long injury list again.....suddenly! or maybe closer to continuedly……..need to bigger/thicker...….less accident prone

Let's hope Tanev doesn't find another injury

Team in general, sucked, and was none structured, but putting in a 19 years will do that...why, because their a team, and they were all over committing, and doing thins I have never actually see them do? It was poor execution, but on the Sharks hit on the first one, they panicked and again over compensated  defensively. Pettersson was still generating crazy opportunities, but he needs help for the premium teams, whether that be a elite winger or Hughes, or another good line pulling away defensive players....but something

I don't want Pouliot, Biega, Granlund, and am starting to close the door on Goldonin.shipping these guys for prospect trying  tp et picks will not be as nice as we think, but get the kids here and see what they have …..it should have been done earlier...now speaking about Brisebois...get him out there and shelter his minutes, but give him some exposure

Our long term goals should be to beats the TB, WASH, CAL, SJ, Nash,  Veaga and Leafs of the world....we need to be that good, and I am pretty sure we are not there

The focus is to get there...…………..not 16 OA.....that is nothing...…..1st playoff looser

Archived