The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should make the draft in Vancouver a good atmosphere

Rate this topic

I would love to see Bettman's reaction if we cheer him.  His face expression because he is expecting a boo every year. If we give him a standing ovation, he would be like, uhhh.   But yeah, let's stick to the tradition by booing him. He loves to being a villain.  Every time they boo him, he truly embrace the boo.  I wonder how much he would embrace the cheer?  Maybe we'll never know.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

:sick:

8 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Imagine not wanting the 2nd best dman in the league after Doughty !

what is wrong with our fan base :frantic:

7 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Think about it logically for a sec.

Age = turning 29 at end of next month

...not old by any means and considering the style of game he plays isn’t bruising or take quite the physical toll being dependent on skating as he’s one of the best skaters in the world 

Cap hit = $10m-$11m per

...he’s no average or above average defenseman. He’s without doubt top3 in the world. If you have a player of that calibre on your team or can get a chance via free agency, they are going to get paid regardless. World class players get paid like world class players, it’s how it’s been and the league as of late has been trending that was especially. Either pony up and pay or penny pinch and be left behind. Considering Doughty is making $10m, Karlsson will get around that.

Term = 7 years

...it’s the most you can offer an UFA. That would take him to age 36 which is a no brainer. Karlsson is one of the most elegant players in the world with the way he skates and plays the game. He won’t be slowing down in his mid 30’s and will still be putting up crazy numbers. He’s a guy who will go into his late 30’s without a sweat barring any significant injury. 

He’d instantly become the most talented blueliner in Canucks history & is as much quality that you can spend your buck for (bang-for-buck). Not to mention Vancouver’s Swedish history/track record and EK making it his only Canadian city he’d accept a trade to when he was on the Sens.

So yea, hop on the wagon B)

There's not a CDCer that would be upset with EK being on our opening day roster ! The devil is in the details, and the details aren't too much of a mystery. EK played less games than Chris Tanev this season. You've possibly noticed how quickly the villagers of CDCville drag out the torches and pitchforks when CT's health is discussed. We also have a player who was signed to a long term, high cost contract. Has made folk a tad gun shy for these high cost, long term contracts. Now if EK comes over for a 4 year term at high dollars, probably no problem. Seven years for a fragile player would make this fan base nervous.

EK's playoff resume will dictate a great deal of his next contract.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

When you go shopping at the grocery store, you spend top dollar on expired milk?     Would you buy an apple with a big bite taken out of it?   

Karlsson is on his decline.  His ankle is pooched.  Still a great player, but that contract is going to be an absolute disaster for a long time.  

9 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Going to attempt to start a “We want Karlsson” chant sometime prior to our pick :towel:

Speak for yourself, you may want him but I sure as hell don't.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Grape said:

Shower Bettman with love so that he gets so confused and forgets what to say

As a member of the 'we hate Bettman' club, the only time I 'don't hate' GB is when he is being boo-ed ! He handles it very well and is almost likeable for a brief moment !

10 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I can only assume this is sarcasm?

Karlsson 5 years ago sure.

A guy just at or near the start of his decline at $11 million per year for 7 years... no thanks.  

The dude has a lot of miles on him.  He is only good for teams who have a window for the next three years.

1 hour ago, Grape said:

Shower Bettman with love so that he gets so confused and forgets what to say

He would be really freaked out if he got loudly cheered.  His only rational assumption would be that we have completely snapped and his life is in immediate peril.

2 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

There's not a CDCer that would be upset with EK being on our opening day roster ! The devil is in the details, and the details aren't too much of a mystery. EK played less games than Chris Tanev this season. You've possibly noticed how quickly the villagers of CDCville drag out the torches and pitchforks when CT's health is discussed. We also have a player who was signed to a long term, high cost contract. Has made folk a tad gun shy for these high cost, long term contracts. Now if EK comes over for a 4 year term at high dollars, probably no problem. Seven years for a fragile player would make this fan base nervous.

EK's playoff resume will dictate a great deal of his next contract.

Fair enough but it’s not as clear cut as you say.

EK’s games missed isn’t for the same reasons as Tanev’s - that is it’s not due to the physical scrutiny his body endures. Tanev’s body is breaking down for the style of game he plays which is retrieving pucks in corners absorbing hits and putting his body in front of pucks whenever he can. Whereas EK’s is due to his ankle not been given sufficient time to heal. On a possible 1 year tenure in San José, this might be their only chance with him so they’re not giving him the proper due diligence he otherwise should/would receive which is give him the time to properly heal up and not force him in.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

When you go shopping at the grocery store, you spend top dollar on expired milk?     Would you buy an apple with a big bite taken out of it?   

Karlsson is on his decline.  His ankle is pooched.  Still a great player, but that contract is going to be an absolute disaster for a long time.  

EK on a “pooched” ankle outperformed one of the best dmen in the world in Burns against the Pens. He carried the Sens in the ECF despite playing hurt and no player could catch him. Yet Burns in the SCF was caught by the Pens. If that’s expired then I guess 99% of dmen in the league are also expired because they’re not at EK’s level...and I don’t get how you say he’s still a great player but that contract would be a disaster.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Speak for yourself, you may want him but I sure as hell don't.  

:blink:

18 minutes ago, Provost said:

I can only assume this is sarcasm?

Karlsson 5 years ago sure.

A guy just at or near the start of his decline at $11 million per year for 7 years... no thanks.  

The dude has a lot of miles on him.  He is only good for teams who have a window for the next three years.

No it’s not. 

I don’t get if this is sarcasm; Karlsson 5 years ago is the same player that he is now. His production hasn’t slown down a single bit so how can you say he’s at the start of his decline lol.

And he has as many miles as any other player in the league. He’s played less than 700 NHL games and hasn’t even reached 50 playoff games. Miles isn’t a problem as his body isn’t breaking down or going to such as a player like Tanev. Sorry but I disagree - GMs, teams, analytics, and myself see him playing well into his late 30’s. I would like to know how you came to this conclusion that he’ll just be good for the next 3 years.

11 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

Man, that is so lame. Certainly Canuck fans can think of something more original. Booing Bettman will be an embarrassment to the Canucks organization and to the City.

This is a lame take. This is the same man that has moves and continues to threaten to move established franchises out of Canadian markets and stick them in non-traditional hockey markets. **** that. I am all for growing the game, but not at the expense of the roots of the game.

11 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Fair enough but it’s not as clear cut as you say.

EK’s games missed isn’t for the same reasons as Tanev’s - that is it’s not due to the physical scrutiny his body endures. Tanev’s body is breaking down for the style of game he plays which is retrieving pucks in corners absorbing hits and putting his body in front of pucks whenever he can. Whereas EK’s is due to his ankle not been given sufficient time to heal. On a possible 1 year tenure in San José, this might be their only chance with him so they’re not giving him the proper due diligence he otherwise should/would receive which is give him the time to properly heal up and not force him in.

EK on a “pooched” ankle outperformed one of the best dmen in the world in Burns against the Pens. He carried the Sens in the ECF despite playing hurt and no player could catch him. Yet Burns in the SCF was caught by the Pens. If that’s expired then I guess 99% of dmen in the league are also expired because they’re not at EK’s level...and I don’t get how you say he’s still a great player but that contract would be a disaster.

It will be a disaster because he is declining, not getting any younger, and his contract will be at least 10 million per year.  

Sure it will be acceptable for a couple years, but it won’t be for long.  

so yeah, he is a great player now, not as good as he used to be, and isn’t getting any better.    That makes a huge $$ long term contract a disaster 

11 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

:blink:

No it’s not. 

I don’t get if this is sarcasm; Karlsson 5 years ago is the same player that he is now. His production hasn’t slown down a single bit so how can you say he’s at the start of his decline lol.

And he has as many miles as any other player in the league. He’s played less than 700 NHL games and hasn’t even reached 50 playoff games. Miles isn’t a problem as his body isn’t breaking down or going to such as a player like Tanev. Sorry but I disagree - GMs, teams, analytics, and myself see him playing well into his late 30’s. I would like to know how you came to this conclusion that he’ll just be good for the next 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Given the international spotlight, I really hope the fans at the draft show some decorum, that might help a lot in ridding the remainder of the memories of the 2011 riot.  Stay classy Van Fans!  Nothing against booing Bettman, although it would be fun to see his face if a Gaaareee chant broke out instead of boos when he's introduced.  

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It will be a disaster because he is declining, not getting any younger, and his contract will be at least 10 million per year.  

so yeah, he is a great player now, not as good as he used to be, and isn’t getting any better.    That makes a huge $$ long term contract a disaster 

I disagree that he’s declining. I’d like to know what led you to this conclusion.

5 years ago he had 74pts in 82gp = 0.90ppg

4 years ago he had 66pts in 82gp = 0.80ppg

3 years ago he had 82pts in 82gp = 1.00ppg

2 years ago he had 71pts in 77gp = 0.92ppg

1 year ago he had 62pts in 71gp = 0.87ppg

This year he had 45pts in 53gp = 0.85ppg

No signs of decline to me. No one is getting younger so I don’t get what that’s supposed to be. He isn’t turning 35, he’s only turning 29 which is still easily only the middle of his prime. $10m a year is the going rate for a player of his calibre (top3 in world) so I don’t see the problem. 

Yes he is a great player now. No to he’s “not good as he used to be”. He isn’t getting worse that’s what I’ll say and I’d argue he’s better than what he was 5 years ago as he’s developed his defensive game in his own zone on top of still piling up the points. Don’t see how it’s a disaster. Even at the end of 7 years when he’s 36 years old he’ll be putting up 60+ points.

23 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Injuries aside I still wouldn't want him, seems like a 'me first' kind of guy and that won't gel well with this locker room and core.