The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-New Jersey-Colorado

17 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I think Colorado would just keep Makar and draft a forward if they're that desperate. 

The thing is they will have to wait two maybe three years before that player has his rookie season.   Not a terrible thing but they really only need a second line Center...oh wait... they have the fourth overall AND Makar. Sh$t must be rough being a COL fan these days.   Maybe one year and in three they could be the team to beat in the West as long as their goaltending is ok.

6 hours ago, Ojibwa72 said:

So you are thinking the Devils may have to give Vancouver a 3rd or 4th pick as well?

I would say so.  When Vancouver made the multiple trades to get the Sedins they gave up more in every one of the 3 trades.  This 3 player proposal wouldn’t be so complex.  But if NJ wants to grab Quinn, they have to add more to a potential deal.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The thing is they will have to wait two maybe three years before that player has his rookie season.   Not a terrible thing but they really only need a second line Center...oh wait... they have the fourth overall AND Makar. Sh$t must be rough being a COL fan these days.   Maybe one year and in three they could be the team to beat in the West as long as their goaltending is ok.

Nah

They can draft him then flip at the trade deadline if they believe they can win now.

Thanks for the feedback guys.   

Finally.......a half decent proposal of mine amidst all of my $&!#ty ones.   :p.

Please keep in mind that under this scenario, any side can add pieces to even out the deal......and so my original proposal isn’t exactly a one-one-one swap.  

On 5/16/2019 at 8:08 AM, IBatch said:

First of all Hughes is not considered as good as Makar, so for us it could be a mild improvement.  I’d consider trading Horvat straight up for him, our defense would no longer be an issue, sign Edler on a short term deal, in two years we’d have a great defense.   Horvat is hard to replace .... fortunately this years draft is center heavy...we’d suffer in the short term but come out of it better, another down year wouldn’t hurt us anyways ...

Still not sure id want to do this, one line teams don’t go deep even with a great defense ... NSH with all its power in the back end and goaltending supremacy can’t win because they don’t have enough quality forwards..  

Any way you look at things I just can’t find a better route then the one we are on, that is draft and develop.   We should get a solid if not spectacular guy for the top six this year, likely playing in draft plus two (one more year of minors).  

Next year Hughes and maybe OJ...the following one Madden maybe and maybe this years pick plus one other.  The floodgates are opened we just need to be patient.

I am with you Makar is one RHD more valuable and more rare, just as good of skater which is ridiculous to say but true, Much much better shooter, bigger and he produced in the playoffs as a rookie with no regular season experience.  I would easily swap them straight up.  

Maybe not Horvat but Boeser and a pick/mid tier part for Makar would be a sweet deal.  

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

How about Markstrom, 10th overall and Tanev for Makar.  

On 5/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, IBatch said:

Yeah with the 4th overall, they'd probably have to wait a year at most. 

Colorado is going to be dangerous.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Would you trade Hughes for that?  I wouldn’t.  And at this point Makar is considered the better prospect 

Makar is not nearly as good as Hughes.  

Why say stuff like that on our board, unless you’re just trying to get true Canuck’s fans going?

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why say stuff like that on our board, unless you’re just trying to get true Canuck’s fans going?

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-wingers-top-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1241872

http://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/26142330/top-50-nhl-prospects-ranking-best-young-players-hockey

col.png?w=35&h=35&transparent=true

1. Cale Makar, D, Colorado Avalanche

Previous: 20
Current team: UMass (Hockey East)

Of every drafted player I've watched this season, none has impressed me more than Makar. He is an elite skater with high-end puck skills, excellent distribution skills and adequate defensive play. A one-man transition who can get up the ice as fast as anybody outside of the NHL right now, this is a player who has taken significant steps to solidifying his projection as a likely top-pairing stalwart.

There are a few other factors that put Makar at No. 1 after a relatively low No. 20 spot at preseason. There has been noticeable and marked improvement in all facets of his game. Makar plays a ton, in all situations and the team goes as he goes. I have not seen a single skater make this level of an impact on his collegiate team since Jack Eichel helped put Boston University back on track as a freshman. It's just not an easy thing for one guy to do, but Makar is doing it

Lastly, Makar's character is such an important piece of his skill set. Greg Carvel, coach at UMass, told me that Makar is simply "one of the guys," blends in and has been coachable, despite his pedigree as a top-5 NHL draft pick. Makar needed to work on his defensive game and picking his spots offensively, and has done so. Carvel also noted that in his career as a college head coach, he has not seen a player as good as Makar. A former coach with the Ottawa Senators, Carvel worked with Erik Karlsson, just as an FYI. To me, Makar has taken his game to a level that I did not necessarily see as possible a year ago based on his freshman performance. As one opposing coach put it, "He doesn't even belong in our league. He should be in the NHL right now."

van.png?w=35&h=35&transparent=true

2. Quinn Hughes, D, Vancouver Canucks

Previous: 9
Current team: Michigan (Big Ten)

One of the most naturally gifted skaters you'll see, Hughes uses his feet to his advantage in all zones. His edgework allows him to deceive oncoming checkers, and he has the vision and hockey sense to make high-end plays. Hughes can sometimes take a few too many risks and get burned, but he's such a unique talent that you live with those plays. At his best, Hughes is a one-man breakout who often turns that rush into offense at the other end.

5 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

How about Markstrom, 10th overall and Tanev for Makar.  

Don't see Sakic doing a quality for quantity type deal and the value isn't there either and doesn't fill a need.  

Makar is being compared to Erik Karlsson with Jeremy Roenick even saying that he'll be better than him at his best.  Just this week Sakic was talking about how Makar was going to be a tremendous player for them.  

Colorado has no need for Markstrom.  They already have Grubauer as number 1.

Grubauer has better numbers than Markstrom - was even 2nd best behind Bishop from mid-Feb onwards with a 1.45 gaa and a 0.955 sv% in the last 15 games.  Colorado was out of the playoffs and Grubauer was a key factor in getting them in.  He was solid in the playoffs and is still under contract.   

Games are won by goal differential and Tanev's defence is never going to make the same kind of impact as Makar.  Makar will force other teams to play defence and fits so well with their star Fs.  Colorado already has Johnson, Cole and Zadorov as defensive Ds.  Btw Tanev's numbers took a dive and he is so often injured - his trade value is not particularly high. 

Sakic talks about how he is not going to trade key assets for rentals and both Tanev and Markstrom are free agents in a year.  The 10th overall will not be ready to step in the lineup next year.  Kuzma writes that there's a drop off after 6th overall.  Benning did say that after 6, players are a few years away from making the league.  Makar is already making an impact. 

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well of course Hughes is better because he’s ours ha ha. THN (and others) has him as number one best prospect in the world before the playoffs started, and Hughes as number two, which is splitting hairs.  I’m sure both guys are going to have stellar NHL careers, I’d be happy if we could pry Makar out of COL, but wouldn’t be happy with the cost.  

I'm going to say a revolutionary statement here: BOTH Makar and Hughes are good and going to be good players for their respective teams. Also this trade is a sideways step for us and I really don't see how it changes anything outside of NJ getting a defender and Colorado getting a forward (because they totally need another forward.... :huh:)

• Upvote 1

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Vancouver-New Jersey-Colorado