The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afraid or Not , 1rst for 4th liner

Rate this topic

ItTakesAnArmy

17 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You have seen it before with your previous handle.   Simply deja vu for you.   :lol:    

Your previous handle? You have thousands of posts, my comment was you had this at hand instead of adding to the content or the post. What has your post to do with the subject?

BTW, Edler signing at 2 years IS good a contract BUT it is not good that it doesn't improve the team. But one less thing to be afraid of, that Benning may have felt pressured to not let another FA walk for free and as a consequence over pay a long term deal with NMC. He didn't but Edler was adamant about staying here so it was easy.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

2 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Lol cute how the Benning defenders believe that you actually have to buy time during a complete tear down. 

Its ridiculous how people actually think rebuilding now vs rebuilding 5 years ago is okay. 

Ok so how do you move players with clauses if they refuse to leave, have you figured out a way around that rule because if you have then i know of 30 gm's are going to be calling you to find out... 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Ok so how do you move players with clauses if they refuse to leave, have you figured out a way around that rule because if you have then i know of 30 gm's are going to be calling you to find out... 

Miller, Vrbata, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Tanev The Sedins because they didn't ask them and were not going to. - All Benning contracts

Garrison - waived and moved, Burrows - waived and moved, Hamhuis - asked late and agreed but deal refused, Edler - had time before clause

Seems the wrong contracts are blamed

Other contracts moved? The league has more than one out there just around the Vegas expansion, Fluery, and wasn't Subban and Weber also?

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

14 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Miller, Vrbata, Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Tanev The Sedins because they didn't ask them and were not going to. - All Benning contracts

Garrison - waived and moved, Burrows - waived and moved, Hamhuis - asked late and agreed but deal refused, Edler - had time before clause

Seems the wrong contracts are blamed

Other contracts moved? The league has more than one out there just around the Vegas expansion, Fluery, and wasn't Subban and Weber also?

And what if a player chooses not to waive? 

• Upvote 1

In the not afraid side;

There is a possibility that if nothing much happens or Benning holds back and decides that next years draft can be a target, the status quo could be a win, a big one.

This would infuriate the "Playoffs now" crowd or the "they are better now" fans but a lottery pick especially starting in the single digits just might get THE STUD of the 2020 draft and obliterate further rebuild needs.

If they stay the same, expect Edler and Tanev to have their usual seasons, 60 games or so also both are a little slower less productive.

Pettersson will not be a surprise and may have a hard time with too much improvement.

They could end up pretty much in the same place as this past few years.

Clearly the 3rd year Vegas team, SanJose, Calgary are going to be powerhouses in the division.

Anaheim looks to improve considerably

Arizona is on the cusp loaded with good prospects

LA might still lag behind

Edmonton was better than their record and they have a solid GM running the show, I can't fathom why losing got their coach and GM fired, doesn't happen in Van ;):D  

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Lucic - Eriksson

Both have to have expansion protection, both have signing bonuses

This is false and not correct at all. Louie does not have a NMC while Lucic does. It’s not a fair swap as you say it would be. Edmonton would have to give us something extremely palatable to take a contract with protection. As of right now Canucks have no players with NMC and are in a great position with the ED in a few years.

0C08E01A-9CF5-432E-8B62-CD685B7E77D8.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

And what if a player chooses not to waive? 

Miller and Vraba refused so they didn't get moved, I doubt Beagle or Roussel will, Sutter may not get asked.

In some cases the player can be sent down to the minors but for the most part the player moves, as Garrison said ...why stay if they don't want me there", I am sure Eriksson will say he needed a new environment.

Gillis gets all the blame but Benning has signed more that have had bigger effects.

12 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

This is false and not correct at all. Louie does not have a NMC while Lucic does. It’s not a fair swap as you say it would be. Edmonton would have to give us something extremely palatable to take a contract with protection. As of right now Canucks have no players with NMC and are in a great position with the ED in a few years.

0C08E01A-9CF5-432E-8B62-CD685B7E77D8.jpeg

Corrected i hadn't read the rules in a year or more and remembered it as NTC and NMC being the same but i gues the team can put a NTC in the minors is the difference

4 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Miller and Vraba refused so they didn't get moved, I doubt Beagle or Roussel will, Sutter may not get asked.

In some cases the player can be sent down to the minors but for the most part the player moves, as Garrison said ...why stay if they don't want me there", I am sure Eriksson will say he needed a new environment.

Gillis gets all the blame but Benning has signed more that have had bigger effects.

Yeah but thats individual player situations that people don't realize that not everyone wants to come play here but at any rate LE is the last one and benning isn't going to throw out any big money contracts to rfa's because we can't afford to with the future signings of our young guys plus tryamkin plus prospects... it's simple math that he just said in his latest interview so we simply can't afford it so he's not going to do it... why can't some people get it through their heads? Look at Eddie, he didn't throw any money at him, just 2 yrs... give it a rest already, he learned the hard way from his mistakes and that's the best way to learn so you won't do it again because it's etched in the back of your mind so feel free to chill! Lmao! Good grief.. smh

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

You are stuck with them but they aren’t going sink your picks. If you can move them great, but if you can’t, make lemonade. Keep the unmovable vets but don’t trade any picks at all and get as many picks as you can a long the way is the logical thing to do.

However, Benning did nothing of the sort, instead he traded picks and younger guys for garbage like Prust, Dorsett, clendenning, Bonino, Sbisa etc. 

Should have been trade tradable player for as many picks as possible and don’t even sniff crap like Baertschi, Prust, Dorsett, Vey etc. Basically preach patience.

Theres no rush getting rid of the vets that earned their seniority contracts. Just be patient and do what you can. Why the hell would you need to buy time by filing positions that don’t need to be filled yet for no reason? That’s a ridiculously poor strategy.

The afraid again

Trading the Canuck first this year and next years is on the block as well.

What else could that be called but desperation and selling the future.

Tyson Barrie for next years #1? That could be 5'10" Barrie for Alexis Lafrenière? Or any of the following 6 players in that draft? For what? Another small dman? Isn't 4 undersized dmen enough?

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

By every estimation yesterday was a dud for trades. Boring.

I really like the Canucks pick, Podkolzin was ranked as high as 3rd in this draft class.

That he was not expected to be here for two years is oddly comforting as it indicates there will not be a selling of the future for wuick gain.

Saturday has started the way many expected day one to go, lots of deals and big ones.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

By every estimation yesterday was a dud for trades. Boring.

I really like the Canucks pick, Podkolzin was ranked as high as 3rd in this draft class.

That he was not expected to be here for two years is oddly comforting as it indicates there will not be a selling of the future for wuick gain.

Saturday has started the way many expected day one to go, lots of deals and big ones.

Agreed.  The more I learn about this kid the more I’m stoked.   Last video the guy doing it called him a “Lion” and if someone else has the puck he will “Get You” ... sounds like a possession stud.  Horvat and him will be a terribly difficult line to play against .... or he displaces Boeser which would be even better ...

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Benning just picked up freaking Miller for a song! Be afraid everyone!:lol::lol:

Where the Benning haters at? :towel:

Are you kidding?

This is fantastic.

Miller will be 27 next season he has a 5.25 mil cap hit with a M-NTC clause for another 4 years that was a part time 4th line player with Tampa. That is worth a 1rst round pick isn't it?

This isn't trading away the future this is a carefully calculated move to make the future, in 4 years stronger by trading away more picks, not just more but 1rst rounders for older 4th liners.

Is that Aquilini's agent going down to the table?:lol:

Be a competitive battle with Granlund for 4th line minutes

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Benning just picked up freaking Miller for a song! Be afraid everyone!:lol::lol:

Where the Benning haters at? :towel:

Where the haters at? 

Step 1.  Open your eyes.

Step 2.  Look at 99% of comments (outside of CDC) to anyone reporting on this trade, by Canuck fans & by fans in general.  

It's actually kinda smart by Benning though, because... 

1. Either this team improves to the point of playoffs, which is good for him.

2. This team misses the playoffs.  He's fired, and he doesn't have to worry about running a junk team with no draft picks.

Edited by CanadianRugby

4 minutes ago, warrchief said:

We don't have to honor JT's NMC so now we can protect our players

As far as i know that is wrong, But is he worth a top ten pick? Tampa will make hay with the cap space.

Lucic could protect the players without trading away a top ten pick.

Hell there should be 200 guys like Miller to "protect" players available for a lot less than a 1rst round pick.

This was a insane panic move if this is it. Miller