The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap management

Rate this topic

canucksnihilist

On 6/29/2019 at 3:53 PM, JamesB said:

Thanks to mll for clarifying the issues. I considered making those points in my analysis of the cap situation but decided not to for the following reasons.

1. As for LTIR,  yes the Canucks will need cap room for Roussel once he gets healthy. But that will be a while and chances are that someone else will go on LTIR in the meantime. If everyone is healthy, that would be a problem the Canucks would be happy to have and they would  do something to create space for him at that time. But I don't think the Canucks will treat that like a major constraint in free agency. Maybe they should, but I don't think they will. So I left it out of my post.

2. Bonuses do count, but they are uncertain and overages are allowed, subject to certain rules. I did not want to add this complication as it is not likely to be a major issue and it is not something that will affect Day 1.

3. The Spooner buy-out is the kind of minor move I had in mind. That will save about $2 million off the cap and that should be enough to create enough cap room to sign Myers or possibly someone else close to that price range. I still don't think it is a good idea (although if depends a lot on the exact price), but it is feasible.

4. Demoting Eriksson to the "A" does not help much. That only reduces the cap hit by about a million and the rest (5 million) counts against the cap. For a saving of a million it is not worth sending Eriksson down. He is grossly overpaid but is a good shutdown forward and good PK player who provides decent secondary scoring. A shutdown line of Beagle, Sutter and Eriksson would probably be a very good shutdown line (although no doubt the most expensive shutdown line in the NHL).  It would of course be better to trade Eriksson (and NOT take a bigger problem back in return -- like Lucic). But Eriksson would be hard to move. If the Canucks retain half his salary they might find some takers.

May as well face it..we are stuck with LE..If Toronto coughed up a 1st to get Marleau off of the books, one can only imagine what the 'sweetener' would be for Van?

I dont see LE just walking away from the remainder of his contract either.

The best bet is to have Brandon Sutter play next season (pray to god he can stay healthy for a bit),and shuffle him off at the TDL (with salary retained most likely).

• Upvote 1

Thankfully Spooner and his 3 mil is off the books and we upgraded our D for less than most of us projected.

Kinda laughing here because when i started a thread on how many elites we can afford and the cap space, i got flamed but here we are but i'm not really laughing i guess, i just hope somehow we can pull a trade or 2 and lighten the load or the cap rises with the new tv contract that is rumoured... 

Sometimes i swear this team is cursed no matter who owns it or manages it... i could point to a few instances but i'd get bummed about it...  

18 hours ago, spook007 said:

Please post it...

I'd like to see it. Thanks.

Apologies in advance for any spelling errors and any formatting issues.

In this hypothetical scenario, Boeser signs a long term deal at $8 Million per and Leivo signs a bridge at $2 Million per. The remaining RFAs receive their 5% qualifying offer raises (Boucher, Teves, Goldy, etc). I placed Roussel on LTIR, but with how this is set up, it wouldn't even be possible as we'd still be under the max cap by over $3 Million. It would take negotiations going bad with Boeser, an 6th UFA signing, or a major trade to disrupt the cap situation.

I'm happy to make an excel sheet available upon request.

Enjoy and have fun! 

0001.thumb.jpg.97418ad4fa480912a0c46362311ece0a.jpg0002.thumb.jpg.7de74766d01a996f7873a022405c3691.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

3x6M Erikkson

2x4M Sutter

3x3M Beagle

1x2M Schaller

=15M

Dead Money

3x3M Luongo

2x1M Spooner

=4M

Myers contract won't age well, he will help you now, last two years might be a nightmare, at least we didn't trade a 1st rounder nor wasted any assets on a signing. 

19M in dead money, take away that dead money and you can deffiantly afford PK Subban at 9 million for the next 3 years, just saying..... we are no where close on competing for a CHIP

18 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

May as well face it..we are stuck with LE..If Toronto coughed up a 1st to get Marleau off of the books, one can only imagine what the 'sweetener' would be for Van?

I dont see LE just walking away from the remainder of his contract either.

The best bet is to have Brandon Sutter play next season (pray to god he can stay healthy for a bit),and shuffle him off at the TDL (with salary retained most likely).

At these point in their careers, I’d say LE is a better player than Marleau.  Unfortunately, Marleau’s contract only has one year left unlike LE.  Demoting him to the Comets actually saves us not much as he DOES have to be replaced on the parent club by a warm body.  Even a minimum wage guy will shave off most of the cap savings.

13 hours ago, iceman64 said:

Thankfully Spooner and his 3 mil is off the books and we upgraded our D for less than most of us projected.

Kinda laughing here because when i started a thread on how many elites we can afford and the cap space, i got flamed but here we are but i'm not really laughing i guess, i just hope somehow we can pull a trade or 2 and lighten the load or the cap rises with the new tv contract that is rumoured... 

Sometimes i swear this team is cursed no matter who owns it or manages it... i could point to a few instances but i'd get bummed about it...  

Spooner is owed 1M for next two years

4 hours ago, therodigy said:

Apologies in advance for any spelling errors and any formatting issues.

In this hypothetical scenario, Boeser signs a long term deal at $8 Million per and Leivo signs a bridge at $2 Million per. The remaining RFAs receive their 5% qualifying offer raises (Boucher, Teves, Goldy, etc). I placed Roussel on LTIR, but with how this is set up, it wouldn't even be possible as we'd still be under the max cap by over $3 Million. It would take negotiations going bad with Boeser, an 6th UFA signing, or a major trade to disrupt the cap situation.

I'm happy to make an excel sheet available upon request.

Enjoy and have fun! 

0001.thumb.jpg.97418ad4fa480912a0c46362311ece0a.jpg0002.thumb.jpg.7de74766d01a996f7873a022405c3691.jpg

Thank you very much bud... +1

20 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Benning definitely should get an F in Salary cap management. Way too much money on the bottom 6 and tweeners which directly impacted our ability to sign Nyquist. Huge fail. I can’t wait until he gets fired.

Well this is certainly a do or die year for him i think. A terrible start and he is gone by Christmas, miss the playoffs i bet he is done at the end of year. Make the playoffs and i think he gets a new contract but good play has to continue to next year.