The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salary cap management

Rate this topic

canucksnihilist

6 hours ago, kacholu said:

Well if they had one then I would be damn scared with the job he's doing so far 

They have a ton of cap space now and will have ample space in the future to allow them to sign their RFA's when they need to.  Maybe look around the league and you can see some teams that REALLY  are in tough against the cap. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

I would hope they have a pending deal to move LE with his cap. If they can do this they will be fine. LE did move his family out . Ottawa would be a good fit 

If he is not moved then they will have a very little to spend.

I think there's several possibilities other than Eriksson. Both Sutter and Tanev are possible moves this summer as well. Mostly I'll be surprised if Eriksson isn't moved as after July 1st there's 9m remaining to be paid in salary. At an average of 3m per year actually salary remaing he's not a terribly expensive player for any team that doesn't press to the cap limit.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Maple Leafs have two 'capologists' - Pridham/Gilman,  both hired for their cap/business background.

How's that working out for them? 

Teams that finish at the top of the standings usually have less cap than the bottom-feeders.

I'm taking Subban at 9M for just 3 years over Myers at anything over 5M for ANY amount of years, every day of the week. It's not close.

Subban is coming off an off-year, which would have still given him 40 points over an 82 game pace. In a good year, he's a Norris-calibre D-man. You take that risk on him, especially for the cheap price he came at, over a career average D-man in Myers especially if you have to sign Myers into his mid-30's.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

nucks will be signing at least 6 more players, 7 if myers is signed

brock, motte, leivo, goldobin, teves, rafferty - motte and leivo are arbitration eligible - so they will be signing at amounts higher then the minimum

(will likely take 20 million to get these 7 signed)

nucks already have 22 signed

so that will put them at 29

and about 4.5 million over the cap (if 20 million is spent)

at least 2 players (teves and rafferty?) will be moved to the comets before the season starts (so around 2 million or so comes off the cap)

they'll need to move another 2.5 - 3 million

it is clear players will be moved out off the team (likely 3) (at worst they demote 3 real contracts to save 1 million per)

then they will be cap complaint

but they will likely get rid of 1 or 2 contracts

until we see what is done on that front

it is really hard to critique cap management of this team

team could easily be 3 - 5 million under the cap when the season starts

add to that roussel's 3 million onto ltir the next day

and then there nothing wrong with cap management if that is all achieved

if the foregoing is largely accurate

nucks have about 3 million or so still to spend on a player/s even with myers signed

I don't know if it's actual fact or speculation but the idea of demoting Eriksson to "The A" has been bouncing around also.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

You mean because of the way they had to give away a 1st round pick to unload an ancient overpaid player to get under the cap? Yes it's terrible how the Canucks have had to gut their team and their future because of their cap issues. The Canucks are the team that wears blue with a marijuana leaf on the uniform, right?

What do the leafs have to do with anything?? Not a valid arguement at all. I mean like being close to the cap yet finishing in the bottom of the standings in almost every year under JB. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kacholu said:

What do the leafs have to do with anything?? Not a valid arguement at all. I mean like being close to the cap yet finishing in the bottom of the standings in almost every year under JB. 

You do understand there is more to a GMs job than just the players. 

There is also the matter of pleasing the fans which in turn pleases the owner because he is selling tickets. Spending to the cap was just putting butts in the seats. 

12 minutes ago, spur1 said:

You do understand there is more to a GMs job than just the players. 

There is also the matter of pleasing the fans which in turn pleases the owner because he is selling tickets. Spending to the cap was just putting butts in the seats. 

There are better ways to spend the cap to please the fans instead of handing out money to grinders like candy. Bottom line is cap management does not exist with this team no matter how anyone tries to spin it. 

I miss the days where we ahead of the curve and were masters with the cap. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kacholu said:

There are better ways to spend the cap to please the fans instead of handing out money to grinders like candy. Bottom line is cap management does not exist with this team no matter how anyone tries to spin it. 

But the only draft they caught was due to an open window?

The Vegas expansion showed how available capspace can get better than expected players.

So what about the following year?

They buyout Spooner now saving a couple mil in cap space and letting another sought after asset go for nothing again. Wasn't Gagner and Spooner the last top six players Benning targeted?

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

Oh yay :picard:  Another Benning bash thread. 

Why is it every time a poster posts actual numbers you attack the thread?

The Canucks had a cap guy, Benning fired him,

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kacholu said:

Lol :gocan:You mean like Luongo’s contract. 

Just now, spur1 said:

At that time his contract was brilliant. He was one of the top goalies if not the top goalie at that time when he signed that contract at a very good cap hit. Plus they changed the rule after the contract. In fact it was because of the forward thinking that the league had to catch up to us. 

Again, your point is not valid at all. I think it's time to take off the Homer glasses and think for a minture. I promise you it won't hurt. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, spur1 said:

You see you are so wrong, that was the same and not as bad as the Weber, Parise or Suter contracts and those were signed by a negotiator for the NHL that year.

Detroit had many more and Holland had at one time stated they were not worried because the player would just retire.

The Luongo contract is like suddenly saying you have to pay an additional 10% tax season tickets you bought last year now you will be billed and have pay an extra $100 dollars per year of five years.

1 minute ago, kacholu said:

At that time his contract was brilliant. He was one of the top goalies if not the top goalie at that time when he signed that contract at a very good cap hit. Plus they changed the rule after the contract. In fact it was because of the forward thinking that the league had to catch up to us. 

Again, your point is not valid at all. I think it's time to take off the Homer glasses and think for a minture. I promise you it won't hurt. 

Well 90% think JB is doing a good job and that you and a couple other naysayers are full of crap. 

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

There is also performance bonuses that they need to consider. Potential of around 4 mil. I think you can figure that Petey and Hughes could hit them. 

hang on there

someone, anyone, correct me if i am wrong

the beauty/value of elc

is that only the contract salary counts towards the cap

the balance is cap exempt

that is why elc contracts are so especially valuable

bonuses, etc are ignored

you cannot build a modern nhl competitive team

without having elite players on elc contracts

or at least it is very hard

He signed Horvat and Edler to money contracts. Markstroms last extension was pretty freaking good too. He may have messed up on the Eriksson deal but one offs happen to most GMs.

Let's see how he does with Boeser before we label him bad at contracts. Cuz in my books he's getting good contracts on the important players. 

I'm fine paying with us paying extra last year to lore a guy like Jay Beagle. When you suck it's hard to attract good talent in free agency. Now players want to come here because they see us on the brink of success. We can thank the core 4 for that.

• Cheers 1