The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Oscar Fantenberg

Just now, The Lock said:

Well, from what I gather, he wanted to see what others options there would be. So this could mean he might have either been hoping we'd come calling or hoping for a little more money.

We basically got Montreal's discount. lol

Well that's assuming the Montreal offer was a "discount". He wanted to see if there would be a UFA bid war to drive his price up a bit, but yeah the hometown draw was enough. I had projected him to take a lower cost, but I thought he would get more term.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well that's assuming the Montreal offer was a "discount". He wanted to see if there would be a UFA bid war to drive his price up a bit, but yeah the hometown draw was enough. I had projected him to take a lower cost, but I thought he would get more term.

As much as I respect you trying to project the cost, I think your projection might have been a little low given he didn't take Montreal's offer of the same amount.

Also, why argue over whether or not it was a hometown discount? We got him for what Montreal offered. I call that a hometown discount and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that. lol

Edited by The Lock

I believe this signing is a little underrated. Sure Benn is likely better, but I don’t think Fantenberg is in his prime yet and he really is an ideal #5-7D. Miles better than DP or Biega. 

The 3 D signings will make a huge difference, especially if QH can provide offense from the get go. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

All of our d-men will get injured throughout the season. 3-4 at the same time 98.5% possible.

You mean it's not 100%?

Man.... what's it like to have a season without 3-4 defensemen injured at the same time?

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As much as I respect you trying to project the cost, I think your projection might have been a little low given he didn't take Montreal's offer of the same amount.

Also, why argue over whether or not it was a hometown discount? We got him for what Montreal offered. I call that a hometown discount and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about that. lol

Because it's under the assumption that he was taking a discount. He took his market value, but the draw to his hometown pulled him away for the same price. I'm glad we signed Benn either way, just wouldn't classify it as taking a "discount".

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Because it's under the assumption that he was taking a discount. He took his market value, but the draw to his hometown pulled him away for the same price. I'm glad we signed Benn either way, just wouldn't classify it as taking a "discount".

I don't know. I think he could have taken at least a little more on the market, but it's something we'll never know for sure.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this seeing as we clearly don't even agree on his market value.

Edited by The Lock

15 hours ago, Canadian said:

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2019-2020 defense:

Edler-Tanev 

Hughes-Myers

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg-Biega

Added three defensemen over 6’0” and 200 lbs all of them. Tougher and meaner this year for sure. 

You put together a pairing of Oscar Meyer, man that  a tough mean hotdog. Nevertheless welcome aboard Oscar. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

We even got him at a hometown discount. It really showed in his interview that he really wanted to come here even before FA. lol

Yeah. He got the exact same offer from Montreal and chose ours haha. 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Virtanen#18 said:

Just found out Schenn got 1-year, $700k deal with Tampa... and we couldn't beat that and picked up Fatenburg instead??  What gives??

700K in Florida is a lot more than 700K in BC. I don't know what the difference is exactly but you can bet it's at least 100K. Tampa Bay is also a stanley cup contender and a desireable place to live. So Benning would have likely had to over pay.

15 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

700K in Florida is a lot more than 700K in BC. I don't know what the difference is exactly but you can bet it's at least 100K. Tampa Bay is also a stanley cup contender and a desireable place to live. So Benning would have likely had to over pay.

All good if Fatenburg can skate and hit!! That's an upgrade over Schenn!

Done a little reading and research on this player and if by what some on here are saying is true, a LHD version of Biega would be fantastic. My favourite part about having two NHL capable defenceman as our 7-8 is we can properly rest our Edler’s and Tanev’s, increase their productivity overall, and increase in heir value. Tanev is the obvious trade bait (again), but whether we make that move or not, the priority should be keeping him healthy, giving him reduced minutes should help significantly. 

I’ve always liked Tanev, but his style of play gets him hurt far far too often, and while he’s very good at what he does, a player who’s hurt half the time doesn’t benefit anyone. In a package for a young potential top 6, or a high pick would be ideal this TDL, so I hope Green’s focus, and Benning’s directive, is keeping him healthy. 

Back to Fatenburg, if he’s serviceable, and pushes other guys down the depth chart and helps both the Canucks, and Utica, I’m all for signings like this. And what a name on this guy lol. 

Edited by GreyHatnDart

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder what this means for breezer?  I'd like to see him in Van full time, but this might push him down to Utica.

If anything it brings competition for the 7-8th defenseman. OJ will also be pushing for a spot so it will probably mean Breezer starts in Utica but if he has a good camp there is always the inevitable injuries on the backend that will see him up with the club quick enough.

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wonder what this means for breezer?  I'd like to see him in Van full time, but this might push him down to Utica.

He's behind Sautner on the depth chart IMO so he's really not in the running to be on the team full time anyway. Juolevi should surpass him quickly and it only looks worse for him if/when Tryamkin and/or Rathbone join the team as well.

I'd be curious if he would be a decent sweetener (young dman with decent size) to unload a Sutter or LE. I only suggest this because I like Brisebois and think he has value, but not sure how the league views him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's behind Sautner on the depth chart IMO so he's really not in the running to be on the team full time anyway. Juolevi should surpass him quickly and it only looks worse for him if/when Tryamkin and/or Rathbone join the team as well.

I'd be curious if he would be a decent sweetener (young dman with decent size) to unload a Sutter or LE. I only suggest this because I like Brisebois and think he has value, but not sure how the league views him.

I think he's passed Sautner now, and we'll he should.  Sautner will, imo, always be a fringe nhl'er, whereas breezer has the potential to be an NHL regular

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I think he's passed Sautner now, and we'll he should.  Sautner will, imo, always be a fringe nhl'er, whereas breezer has the potential to be an NHL regular

Potential is one thing, but currently he's behind Sautner hence why Sautner was getting more games at the end of last season over Brisebois. There's potential for Brisebois to surpass him (and others to get into a full time NHL gig), but just not a lot of time left to do so with who's in the system right now. So even passing Sautner (who's likely a Utica call up anyway) doesn't land him a NHL gig, but maybe just more call ups at this point and as mentioned by the end of this season, we could see Tryamkin and/or Rathbone also join the team and another season of development of Juolevi and he will be pushed further down the depth chart. This is why I'd explore moving him while he's still young and has this potential if the interest is there around the league.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Potential is one thing, but currently he's behind Sautner hence why Sautner was getting more games at the end of last season over Brisebois. There's potential for Brisebois to surpass him (and others to get into a full time NHL gig), but just not a lot of time left to do so with who's in the system right now. So even passing Sautner (who's likely a Utica call up anyway) doesn't land him a NHL gig, but maybe just more call ups at this point and as mentioned by the end of this season, we could see Tryamkin and/or Rathbone also join the team and another season of development of Juolevi and he will be pushed further down the depth chart. This is why I'd explore moving him while he's still young and has this potential if the interest is there around the league.

Breezer is only a year older than OJ isn't he?  A few years younger than sautner

• Cheers 1