The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Availability of Seth Jones

As we all know, the Columbus Blue Jackets were absolutely ravaged this offseason, losing Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene, and likely Dzingel and McQuaid as well. They picked up Nyquist in the offseason to try and alleviate some of the hemorrhaging, but it's difficult to see them as anything resembling a playoff team next season. With that said, I could see them entering a rebuilding phase after they take their last kick at the can this season, and, as with any rebuilding phase, players will become available. Probably some very good players. 

Seth Jones is currently 24 years old (will turn 25 in October) and is, to say the least, a very good defenseman. One of the elite defenseman in the league, and a righty to boot. Exactly what we need, If Columbus is to enter a rebuilding phase, that may put them out of playoff contention for a few years. While I'm sure Jones would still be an asset to them once this theoretical rebuilding phase is complete, he would likely be in his late 20's by the time they're ready to start competing again. Would it be worth it for them to think about shopping Seth Jones to kickstart their rebuild? There isn't much I would be willing to cough up to land a player like him, and it would put the finishing touches on our rebuild.

I'm aware that this is the longest of long shots, and even if they were willing to trade Jones, they would be wanting someone like a Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat or Hughes going the other way. Other than those 4 guys, is there anything we could offer Columbus that could entice them? Any sort of package, probably revolving around our next first rd pick, that could pique their interest?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

As we all know, the Columbus Blue Jackets were absolutely ravaged this offseason, losing Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene, and likely Dzingel and McQuaid as well. They picked up Nyquist in the offseason to try and alleviate some of the hemorrhaging, but it's difficult to see them as anything resembling a playoff team next season. With that said, I could see them entering a rebuilding phase after they take their last kick at the can this season, and, as with any rebuilding phase, players will become available. Probably some very good players. 

Seth Jones is currently 24 years old (will turn 25 in October) and is, to say the least, a very good defenseman. One of the elite defenseman in the league, and a righty to boot. Exactly what we need, If Columbus is to enter a rebuilding phase, that may put them out of playoff contention for a few years. While I'm sure Jones would still be an asset to them once this theoretical rebuilding phase is complete, he would likely be in his late 20's by the time they're ready to start competing again. Would it be worth it for them to think about shopping Seth Jones to kickstart their rebuild? There isn't much I would be willing to cough up to land a player like him, and it would put the finishing touches on our rebuild.

I'm aware that this is the longest of long shots, and even if they were willing to trade Jones, they would be wanting someone like a Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat or Hughes going the other way. Other than those 4 guys, is there anything we could offer Columbus that could entice them? Any sort of package, probably revolving around our next first rd pick, that could pique their interest?

Love to get Seth here.  I knew getting him for RJ was a steal for the Jackets.  It’s really hard to trade fir these guys, unless the other GM is a complete and utter moron.  Is Chirelli in Columbus now? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Love to get Seth here.  I knew getting him for RJ was a steal for the Jackets.  It’s really hard to trade fir these guys, unless the other GM is a complete and utter moron.  Is Chirelli in Columbus now? 

I'm aware that it would be near impossible, but my god would it be perfect. I would literally be willing to ship out anything and everything outside of our big 4. Next 2 first rd picks? Wu? Juolevi? Demko? 

It's difficult when you don't have a lot in terms of strong assets that are playing at a high level right now (other than untouchables), but I still think it's worth a discussion.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We don't even have a first in this years draft which is probably something they would want. I'd imagine the starting price for Jones would be Boeser, Podkolzin & Baerstchi or a  2nd. That is a pretty steep price to pay.

If JB did a trade like that I would immediately offer-sheet Marner. You're all in at that point you gotta go for it. 

Edited by peaches5

1 minute ago, Master Higgins said:

He's about as available as pettersson, is there a package that could theoretically land him sure but its never going to be worth the overpayment needed.  

He is available because they also have another potential number 1 dman in Werenski. 

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not entirely true. It's still ours if we don't make the playoffs. 

Columbus would likely want a guaranteed first round pick in this years draft. Columbus needs a goalie though so they definitely would want Demko. Boeser, Demko + another prospect or pick and likely Baertschi.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

He is available because they also have another potential number 1 dman in Werenski. 

No they have an amazing top pair in jones and werenski. The kind of top pair every team dreams about. You want jones the price starts at a young 1c, and we have one of those but it makes no sense to trade him. Imagine a team wanting petey, but with the caveat that they dont want to trade any first rounders or any of their 5 best young players/prospects. Now would you even bother to hear the offer before hanging up after that? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Columbus would likely want a guaranteed first round pick in this years draft. Columbus needs a goalie though so they definitely would want Demko. Boeser, Demko + another prospect or pick and likely Baertschi.

This is more of a proposal for next years offseason anyways, and it assumes Columbus takes the nosedive that I think they might. If we were to make the playoffs and lose this years 1st rd pick, they'd have a guaranteed 1st rd pick in the 2021 draft. Perhaps our 2nd from the 2020 draft would be enough to entice them into waiting the extra year for their 1st rd pick.

Something along the lines of our 2nd in 2020, our 1st and 2nd in 2021, Baer, Demko and Wu? Maybe toss them either Tanev or Stetcher as well for someone that can slot in on the right side for the immediate future?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

20 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

No they have an amazing top pair in jones and werenski. The kind of top pair every team dreams about. You want jones the price starts at a young 1c, and we have one of those but it makes no sense to trade him. Imagine a team wanting petey, but with the caveat that they dont want to trade any first rounders or any of their 5 best young players/prospects. Now would you even bother to hear the offer before hanging up after that? 

I just said what the price starts at.

52 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This is more of a proposal for next years offseason anyways, and it assumes Columbus takes the nosedive that I think they might. If we were to make the playoffs and lose this years 1st rd pick, they'd have a guaranteed 1st rd pick in the 2021 draft. Perhaps our 2nd from the 2020 draft would be enough to entice them into waiting the extra year for their 1st rd pick.

Something along the lines of our 2nd in 2020, our 1st and 2nd in 2021, Baer, Demko and Wu? Maybe toss them either Tanev or Stetcher as well for someone that can slot in on the right side for the immediate future?

A young 1D will take a team that needs a young established 1C.  Trading a bunch of lessor assets and question marks isn’t going to cut it