The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for the Calgary Stampede to Evolve... ?

kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

When i talk about exploiting animals .... sometimes it can be just stress on the animals... No ?

Most stock in a rodeo are trained athletes. They’re the best fed and best maintained animals on a ranch because they’re the money ticket for the owner. They’re trained to do what they do. The bucking stock know as soon as they’re done their job they get to go eat. I see them as working animals.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Most stock in a rodeo are trained athletes. Their the best fed and best maintained animals on a ranch because they’re the money ticket for the owner. They’re trained to do what they do. The bucking stock know as soon as they’re done their job they get to go eat. I see them as working animals.

What about the calves and steers ?  Do you see them as working animals ? Or more as unfortunate victims ?

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

What about the calves and steers ?  Do you see them as working animals ? Or more as unfortunate victims ?

If the animal ran a straight line or even was hesitant to run in the first place I’d see them as unfortunate victims. But calves don’t run like that. They run straight in a natural setting. Steers aren’t afraid so they don’t do much running at all.

I see them as trained to do a job or a disruptive/chaotic animal that would be culled to keep the herd thriving in a natural setting. If a steer or calve ran like that normally, they might spook a whole herd and cause innocent animals to get hurt. So if the odd one is naturally like that and can live in the rodeo rather than being put down instantaneously... I support it.

• Haha 1

Ahhh the good old Stampede - where men are men and the sheep are nervous :emot-parrot:

Never really bothered me as I have never watched a rodeo nor understood the reason to. BUT if you ban rodeos then ban horse racing then what? The human race has always found strange ways to amuse themselves. Its not like what they did to the animals in the circuses. If you don't like it don't watch it, don't follow it and don't give it any media even here on message boards. How about instead of worrying about rodeos we focus on having people spay or neuter their pets and crack down on idiots letting their dogs ride in the back of their trucks or leaving them in a sweltering car.

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yup as someone who rode bulls in the BCRA for half the 06 season and the full 07 season as well as being married at the time to the biggest rough stock contractor in B.C.’s cousin at the time... I’d like to know? 

Good see I'm not the only bull rider on this forum ha. 

Which part of b.c ?

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Another 3 horses have died....that's six.  I find that totally unacceptable.

Would you force your child to compete  / enter this event ?

Why should we force animals to compete in a potentially lethal competition for human entertainment ?

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

They should make some rule that all the owners must do and spend whatever to fix the animal up and to send it to pasture.  

Better yet have the owner and his family pull the chuck wagon in the competition and let the horses watch quietly/peacefully  from a neighbouring green field...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not a fan of UFC im guessing. 

I have no problem with UFC as it is consenting adults.

6 horses now dead this year at Calgary Stampede is not acceptable.  PEOPLE , WE can do better that this.......

Did those horses sign up for such a dangerous competition for human entertainment ?   Humans need to look after animals and make sure they are well protected / cared for. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I have no problem with UFC as it is consenting adults.

6 horses now dead this year at Calgary Stampede is not acceptable.  Did those horses sign up for such a dangerous competition for human entertainment ?   Humans need to look after animals and make sure they are well protected / cared for. 

In the big picture of animal cruelty around the world 6 horses is pretty minimal, some countries eat horses. Animals have been exploited by humans for 1000's of years for food, work, entertainment, clothes ect. 

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In the big picture of animal cruelty around the world 6 horses is pretty minimal, some countries eat horses. Animals have been exploited by humans for 1000's of years for food, work, entertainment, clothes ect. 

Sorry , the world is evolving.  Slavery used to be acceptable too. Now it isn't.

We need to evolve our practises....  No ?

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You know this is a silly reason to continue to do so... cause we always have?

Until they come up with better and affordable alternatives, im afraid it will likely remain this way for the foreseeable future. Beyond meat is a good start but even that has a higher price point than beef. The amount of money the Rodeo generates is unfortunately way way way more than the the cost of 6 horses.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Until they come up with better and affordable alternatives, im afraid it will likely remain this way for the foreseeable future. Beyond meat is a good start but even that has a higher price point than beef. The amount of money the Rodeo unfortunately generates is opportunity way way way more the the cost of 6 horses.  

I hear ya.

Doesn't mean they couldn't look at making things a bit better? 

Remove some of the hardcore events, modify others. So like you say, look for better alternatives. 

Its a good discussion to have. 

I don't condemn anyone for their choices as long as they can discuss the possibility of reducing suffering in this world. It's in our power to do so with relatively little effort.

For example, I don't eat pig because they are as smart as dogs. However I am not asking people to stop and change their ways , believe me I understand how tasty bacon is. Yet I would like us to make sure that all animals that we use for food, entertainment etc.. suffer as little as possible. It is hypocritical to protect the animals we have as pets when we turn a blind eye to the practices of slaughter houses. My brother knows some guys that work the kill floors for pigs, he says they have to rotate the workers for their mental well being. The pigs know they are being killed, they scream and cry..they sound like children...they are as smart as a family dog you may have once loved.

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Until they come up with better and affordable alternatives, im afraid it will likely remain this way for the foreseeable future. Beyond meat is a good start but even that has a higher price point than beef. The amount of money the Rodeo generates is unfortunately way way way more than the the cost of 6 horses.  

It's not about the "cost" of the horses....it's about risk and danger to both animals and humans for "entertainment".  There are other forms of entertainment that will still pack a rodeo grounds - the stuff that's causing tragic accidents doesn't have to be.

You make it sound like "necessity" - it's not.  There are plenty of other things that people will come to see and participate in.

Entertainment should be fun.  If you have your kids in the stands and a horse gets mutilated by crashing into a rail, you may get more than you wished for.

• Cheers 2