The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Good post and I agree.  TG was a relative high pick himself and he's said that it took time to figure out the right way to play.  I'm pretty sure that's what he's trying to instil in all our young players and he trusts certain players more.  Babcock is criticized for judging guys and the ones he doesn't like don't get the minutes or even the chance to play (Leivo for example - obviously TG feels differently).   JV is a big part of our team and I believe TG is working hard to get the best out of him where as others would have just asked to trade him. 

Agree completely. I've actually been impressed by JB and Green's commitment to developing Jake the right way. They know it's a slower process. Plus given all the issues with Juolevi, I think they recognize the need to put the time in with Jake so the investment pays off. We can't afford two high first round picks to potentially fall by the wayside. 

It's interesting the language you used with Green (trust) and Babcock (doesn't like). With trust, or lack of, there's room for someone to earn that trust. When it comes to not liking someone, or their play, it's much harder to change that. One is more open whereas the other is rigid and more closed. Both Jake and Leivo are definitely benefitting from the former.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm not a fan of Green, but a younger coach like him, with up to date ideas on how to treat players, was actually a really good hire. We're seeing all of these old timers getting outted for bad behaviour and with Green we don't have to worry about that stuff. With him, it's more if he can get his team into the playoffs and have success. Hope he can.

• Cheers 4

On 12/4/2019 at 12:21 PM, Tre Mac said:

False.  JV has gotten time on the PP, not a lot but to say he hasn't had a shift is BS.

Add them all up and he's literally had a total of 2 minutes on the power play this season. A whole 2 minutes of PP time!!!! Most of those precious seconds are when he jumps over the boards in the dying seconds of the PP to replace the fatigued players. His actual PP shift of 1 whole minute came on Oct. 15th. What was that, like the 3rd game of the season? Green hadn't even figured out to put Hughes on PP1 by that point.  So yeah, he's had one shift on the PP in 29 games. To say that equates to getting a fair shot at the PP is BS!

• Cheers 1

I was really starting to question Green and his coaching, we are giving up leads right left and center, and I’m not going to blame it on the personnel because we have a tone of vets that have been there done that it’s not like we play our young guys much with 10 minutes to go and a lead.

Not getting a full 60 is starting to become a massive problem with this team, which is contributing to ya giving up leads.

Green needs to find a way to keep his players energize and fresh at the end of games and that maybe stop trying to just defend after good period where you have a 2+ goal lead and stop running our defensive guys dry at end of game.

Injuries will happen when you play 30 of the last 40 minutes of games you have leads in, in your own zone because you have players like tanev and Eddie blocking everything.

Or maybe you guys are seeing something I’m not

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The only real coaching problem I have is the defensive setups. It's so passive. I guess it fits Tanev and Edler's style nicely, seeing as they are at the top of the league in blocked shots. But I dunno how sustainable that is against good teams. Giving them free time and space is not wise. McDavid and Draisaitl torched us cause they had all that time and space to do as they pleased. Considering the legendary run they are on that probably isn't the smartest play. Watching the team back off Malkin and let him take slappers down the middle of the ice? Even today against Buffalo with the 5 on 6. I get they have an extra man but that's even less space making putting pressure on them even better. Demko needs to peak around/through 5-7 bodies to even see the puck cause our entire team was just chillin' in the slot.

I dunno if the team is also trying to sit on leads or if they are just getting shell shocked mentally by opposing team's pressure but that needs to be fixed too. Too often this team is blowing leads and I can't tell if it's young players learning or the team being told to be more passive. Either way when we get the lead we become a different team and it's not looking so hot. That one I'll kind of chalk up to the young team not handling the pressure well. 

• Upvote 1

Green has to learn as well that this team needs some sort of change up in its defensive structure because for the last 20 games we've been getting victimized time and time again, in particular our forwards moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Surprisingly it's the forwards we brought in to play well defensively who are making mistakes and I think Green needs to address this ASAP.

14 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Green has to learn as well that this team needs some sort of change up in its defensive structure because for the last 20 games we've been getting victimized time and time again, in particular our forwards moving the puck out of the defensive zone. Surprisingly it's the forwards we brought in to play well defensively who are making mistakes and I think Green needs to address this ASAP.

:emot-parrot::emot-parrot:

On 12/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not a fan of Green, but a younger coach like him, with up to date ideas on how to treat players, was actually a really good hire. We're seeing all of these old timers getting outted for bad behaviour and with Green we don't have to worry about that stuff. With him, it's more if he can get his team into the playoffs and have success. Hope he can.

Only a couple of coaches got turfed and those older experienced coaches are the ones with Stanley cup rings on their fingers.  If treating everyone with kid gloves on is your recommended course of action going forward then this whole world is in trouble - let alone the team.  That's the problem with the "Millennial" generation, they have to get trophies and accolades just for showing up and dare not say anything negative about anything or push them a bit because you might crush the poor babies.    Here's a video that captures the the whole problem in a nutshell.     

Ha ha, funny video.

But I agree with others that Green is just fine. For now at least. 

Some complain we have a coach that is too "soft" to much a players coach.  But for a team at this stage, with a few great young rookies and prospects, that kind of teacher coach is perfect.

Do you really want a pompous az like Babcock, who talks about himself in the third person. Or an old timey fossil like Peters still living in the 1950's? 

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Ha ha, funny video.

But I agree with others that Green is just fine. For now at least. 

Some complain we have a coach that is too "soft" to much a players coach.  But for a team at this stage, with a few great young rookies and prospects, that kind of teacher coach is perfect.

Do you really want a pompous az like Babcock, who talks about himself in the third person. Or an old timey fossil like Peters still living in the 1950's? 

Peters is a racist, so definitely not him.  Babcock, even with his warts, is still a great coach, who has a resume of winning.  I'd go for Babcock if the Leafs are paying his salary.