The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. 

But I'd rather just waive Eriksson and trade Baer closer to when Roussel's due back/a team has injuries/increased his value.

yeah me too, but tbh if we could get something like a 3rd for Leivo or Goldy, or a 2nd for Baer I'd be very happy if we got 2/3 of those. Waiving Loui is the option if no other trades can be made imo that Jim will make. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

2 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Does anyone else think its strange that we have 2 home games vs Ottawa in the preseason? Just noticed this...

Well, Ottawa will have its preseason road trip from coast to coast, literally.   They played in St. Johns, Newfoundland last night.  I find that weird.  

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. 

But I'd rather just waive Eriksson and trade Baer closer to when Roussel's due back/a team has injuries/increased his value.

Same. Eriksson hasn't done enough to really cement his spot on the roster. The days leading up to the regular season beginning might be substantial for the team.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah me too, but tbh if we could get something like a 3rd for Leivo or Goldy, or a 2nd for either Baer I'd be very happy if we got 2/3 of those. Waiving Loui is the option if no other trades can be made imo. 

Disagree. IMO it's the highly possible (even probable?) outcome of having cheaper, younger, better options who play the way the coach wants to play.

He's not entitled to a roster spot 'because'.

That said, short of Goldy, MacEwan etc passing him as well, he's likely 13th F until Roussel's ready. At that point he better hope for a trade or injury though as he'll be in Utica otherwise.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, coolboarder said:

Well, Ottawa will have its preseason road trip from coast to coast, literally.   They played in St. Johns, Newfoundland last night.  I find that weird.  

Perhaps we can complete the trade I suggested (Eriksson, $2m retained + sweetener to OTT for Boedker) while they're in town and save both the added travel issues :lol:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It’s the pre-season and still lots of hockey left to play...hate to say it but injuries might occur - and one or two of the fringe guys including Goldobin could ratchet it up.   He’s not a fourth liner - but might not be a second or third either / time will tell.

Injuries Will Occur you mean.. everyone always pencilling in that fully healthy line and so and so will have to be waived. Chances are good 1-2 guys will be injured 

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Disagree. IMO it's the highly possible (even probable?) outcome of having cheaper, younger, better options who play the way the coach wants to play.

He's not entitled to a roster spot 'because'.

That said, short of Goldy, MacEwan etc passing him as well, he's likely 13th F until Roussel's ready. At that point he better hope for a trade or injury though as he'll be in Utica otherwise.

its just Leivo, Godly and Baer are more tradable. Not for anything spectacular but I do think there are teams that would take them. If there are some reasonably high picks on offer I think Jim takes them considering we may not have that 1st this year (hopefully) so some extra 2nds or 3rds would be nice. Could also bank those for some TDL moves too. Loui's not going to get us anything but 1.075 mil in cap space. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its just Leivo, Godly and Baer are more tradable. Not for anything spectacular but I do think there are teams that would take them. If there are some reasonably high picks on offer I think Jim takes them considering we may not have that 1st this year (hopefully) so some extra 2nds or 3rds would be nice. Could also bank those for some TDL moves too. Loui's not going to get us anything but 1.075 mil in cap space. 

Yeah... but I'm not trading players we like and can actually use just so we don't have to waive Loui.

Sorry. 

Plus at some point it's quite conceivable some of these kids, coupled with Roussel returning, require us to waive Loui AND trade Baer (or similar) in the not distant future.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... but I'm not trading players we like and can actually use just so we don't have to waive Loui.

Sorry. 

Plus at some point it's quite conceivable some of these kids, coupled with Roussel returning, require us to waive Loui AND trade Baer (or similar) in the not distant future.

its not about not wanting to waive or keep Loui, its about recouping assets if possible. Leivo at 1.5m on a 1 year deal is far more tradable than Loui. As sad as that is.

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sorry. 

I think this is the most likely avenue going forward.

The days of underperforming vets being guaranteed a roster spot because of their contract are over. Gagner's necessary demotion was proof of that. Eriksson hasn't made a strong case for himself at all, while younger players are showing the determination to make a case for themselves.

Players like Leivo, Motte, and others mean far more to the team as players than as tradebait. They're motivated and determined to grab a spot on the third or fourth line, and have shown it far more than Loui.

Green won't want a floater like Eriksson taking up space on a line that could be given to a younger player willing to learn and willing to go to bat for his team.

Roussel's injury is probably the only thing that might prevent Eriksson from being demoted. Hopefully Jim is close to the trade that he spoke about earlier this week, and that it involves Eriksson.

Oh sweet Gord, let it be!

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

But why do we need to 'recoup assets' for Leivo? Why not just keep Leivo...the asset?

because we have to put 3 Fs on waivers at some point this year. We can try to waive them and hope we keep them, or make a certain deal for a pick, assuming one's in place of course. I'd rather get the sure asset if available. 

18 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Didn't it used to be the games were kept within the division though? Strange all around I guess.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

because we have to put 3 Fs on waivers at some point this year. We can try to waive them and hope we keep them, or make a certain deal for a pick, assuming one's in place of course. I'd rather get the sure asset if available. 

The surest asset is the one we already have in Leivo. 

Neither Schaller or Eriksson are REMOTELY an issue to waive. So there's 2 out of 3. And we've got time to sort out who #3 is (or make a trade).

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

The surest asset is the one we already have in Leivo. 

Neither Schaller or Eriksson are REMOTELY an issue to waive. So there's 2 out of 3. And we've got time to sort out who #3 is (or make a trade).

sure, maybe. But if another GM calls during camp and offers a 3rd for Leivo or 2nd for Baer I'd hope Jim takes it. Problem solved now. 

Of course Schaller is waived. 

9 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Didn't it used to be the games were kept within the division though? Strange all around I guess.

It could be a good thing, to get away from a division rivals for fringe players looking for a big name with dirty tactics or have someone ordered a target by his coach looking for any advantage he could get from the start of the season.  I also would rather Canucks to hold training camp and hold preseason home games outside division at Utica, in the east coast and start the season on the road so that their bodies would be in eastern time zone for a month (2 1/2 weeks of training camp/preseasons and 1 or 2 weeks on the road in the east coast).  Travels would be very light for a month, is what they need the most, imo.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like the team is being wise with OJ, which is really smart.  OJ is really young, and patience here is the way to go.  Clearly OJ is well enough to player (he is practicing with the team) but he's just not ready for the potential physicality of an actual game.    

Yeah I think this is the way to go here. Better to be patient and not rush it even if he is 100% cleared to play. Now cue the usual people calling him a bust again for not making the team out of camp.