The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

The thing with Jake is his speed can't be ignored. He is very fast and his speed was the direct cause of 2 goals tonight.  

I also liked Teves game a little more than Rafferty's, both players are gonna be decent, and possible call ups this year. 

Good to see screwy Loui pop one in tonight

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Now that Brock is back I'd like to see our split squads try and generate some chemistry up front. Want to see something like this for Game 1:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Baertschi

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo

Goldobin - Gaudette - Virtanen

Perfect mix of size, gritty forwards, playmaker, skill and shooters on each line. Other alternative would be to just load up all our big and skilled players top-to-bottom.

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

His goals were nice, but he still has consistency issues. He was lost all game until the two times he got the puck on his stick. And that's the thing, he has it in him, and we all see it, he just needs to work on his game when he doesn't have the puck. 

That is the problem with Jake. For a guy that big, that can skate that fast, you would think he would be noticeable every shift, or every other shift just hitting somebody because his skill set lends to his floor being really high. Hopefully the guy turns it around and improves. I would honestly take a 10-15 goal virtanen thats a force every shift than a 20 goal version of jake thats invisible most of the games

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

You know he had 4 shots on net not 2...

Also from what I can see he lead the team in takeaways last year... 46 TA  vs  22 GV = +24... TEAM BEST...:shock: 

Tells me he's not too bad without the puck...

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/vancouver-canucks/statistics

I watched him closely all game yesterday, so I'm just telling it how I saw it. I'm also not ripping on him like some other posters. I'm merely saying that he still floats a lot and seems lost most times. It's when the puck reaches his stick that he engages. It's just still something he has to work on is his play away from the puck. 

I know he has strong takeaways, and that he has more to give. It's just a matter of time before "it" finally clicks with him. And when it does it will be glorious.

• Upvote 1

You could definitely see that these were rosters full of juniors and AHL players.

Dipietro looks like he is a few years away.  These little goalies have to be better at everything and he has an overly manic style that will need settling.  Clearly does well when comfortable.  A lot of work to do but what a pedigree.

Lind looked okay, definitely looks quicker but a couple seasons away. 

Gadjs looks like a long term project.  20 years go he would have been looking at the goon path to the league.  Now he needs to be stronger and smarter than almost everyone on the ice to make up for his skating or will fall in the Gaunce hole of only having the speed to play O or D not able to cover enough ice to do both.

Teves looked better as night when on. Like what Rafferty has but think both look 2-3 seasons away.

Brisebois looks like will be pushing for a spot on club next season with call ups this year.

Liked Chatfield's combativeness but definitely can see that he missed a lot of time last year and will need some time in the systems again to get comfortable again.

Utica should be interesting this year.

I liked the Miller-Horvat combo, curious to see if Goldy will fit.  Would also like to see what happens if you switch Bo and Elias as I think Miller-EP-Goldy may be a really good line and Ferland-Bo-Brock would be really hard to handle and would spread the scoring.

So I watched the game on the island. My takeaways are for a bunch if guys who are supposedly battling for jobs, it seemed like the compete level was pretty low. Almost zero physicality, not hard on the pucks, terrible defensive breakdowns etc. I hope they play with a little more urgency tonight.