The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On this day in 1972 Paul Henderson scored

Rate this topic

Mackcanuck

I was a long time from being born, but it's always been a story to me that Henderson was one of those to step up in the Summit Series; he's not someone who had an overly impressive career otherwise, but he's one of the guys who played and played well when it really mattered. His accomplishment in the series is inspiring.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

In school and they shut down to watch the game, rolled a couple of them old tv's on rolling stands out and it was  pretty big event for grade school.

Our whole school was taken to the gym to watch games......  super cool times...  really brought our Country together.....

• Cheers 1

Wasn't born yet, but that series will never be equaled.  Had more hatred than any playoff series due to the politics and dirty play by both sides, but the skill and contrasting playing styles made for outstanding hockey on the ice.  2010 is probably the closest we'll get but the rivalry with the Americans is purely on the ice.

Henderson belongs in the Hall.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Wasn't born yet, but that series will never be equaled.  Had more hatred than any playoff series due to the politics and dirty play by both sides, but the skill and contrasting playing styles made for outstanding hockey on the ice.  2010 is probably the closest we'll get but the rivalry with the Americans is purely on the ice.

Henderson belongs in the Hall.

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

^^^ Henderson does really deserve to be in the HoF. IMHO

Alas it's the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame. Henderson was a good, but not amazing player outside of that goal. What he did was legendary, but only two countries cared about it (and one of them wasn't happy about it). In a similar vein, none of the 1980 US Olympic Team players are in the Hockey Hall of Fame, as only a few of them went on to have good NHL careers.

All that said, the '72 Summit Series is one of those things I wish I had been alive to see. But then of course I'd be over 20 years older now, so there's a trade off I suppose. :lol:

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Alas it's the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the Canadian Hockey Hall of Fame. Henderson was a good, but not amazing player outside of that goal. What he did was legendary, but only two countries cared about it (and one of them wasn't happy about it). In a similar vein, none of the 1980 US Olympic Team players are in the Hockey Hall of Fame, as only a few of them went on to have good NHL careers.

All that said, the '72 Summit Series is one of those things I wish I had been alive to see. But then of course I'd be over 20 years older now, so there's a trade off I suppose. :lol:

Because of that iconic series, He did more to grow the game of hockey in the world than most players who have been inducted to the HHoF

BTW Herb Brooks is in the HHoF

Edited by Mackcanuck

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Our whole school was taken to the gym to watch games......  super cool times...  really brought our Country together.....

some great times in those years for hockey :)  Summit series, Orr and the Bruins, Ken Dryden and the Habs, followed by the rise of the Flyers, 76 canada cup, Habs 4 in a row, followed by Islanders 4 in a row.

The 76 series was great too along with full tv coverage and color tv's. 

You have to think back to that time,and we all thought we were going to dominate the Russians with all the star players we had,

but they came and showed they were also very talented and it took everything Canada had to win that tournament.

It opened up the game globally and we now see players from all over the world coming to play in our NHL.

Also on this day in 1972:

David Bowie sells out his first show at Carnegie Hall

Japan and China agree to re-establish diplomatic relations (Don't know if this had anything to do with the summit series but it's unlikely lol)

The births of:

Cathy Caverzasio, Swiss tennis star

Dita Von Teese, American burlesque artist

Greg Ivy, NFL punter (Atlanta Falcons)

And the famous French composer, Maurice Thiriet, died at age 66.

https://www.onthisday.com/date/1972/september/28

• 11 months later...