The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The athletic projects the Canucks 26th overall?

Rate this topic

cuporbust

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Cool!  Thanks for doing the legwork.

Kind of interesting how teams that score more than they allow tend to be at the top of the league, while those who allow more than they score are at the bottom, isn't it? :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Kind of interesting how teams that score more than they allow tend to be at the top of the league, while those who allow more than they score are at the bottom, isn't it? :lol:

I see you edited in the list.  It showed up humongous.  You might want to delete it and redo it.  People who scroll on their phones won't be thrilled.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It will be funny looking back at this prediction in June 2020. ;) 

It'll be even better if history repeats and the Canucks do exactly the same as the Blues.  They're already in the same spot as the Blues were last year at the start of the season.

So between playoff teams and non-playoff teams, the only changes they made to that were basically saying Winnipeg and Columbus don't make it, probably purely based on the players they lost in the offseason. And for some reason they chose the Wild as one of the 2 teams that makes it back in. Florida is an easy one to throw in as making it in considering they were right there at the end. Don't know, doesn't really feel like a whole lot went into making this list. I'd call it a boring safe list, in which basically everything remains status quo from last year, except where there's obvious changes in teams.

Edited by ForestFalcon

13 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Building a team on pure analytics is incredibly stupid and doomed to failure as proved by the Panthers a few years ago, but as far as these lists go, they're pretty good.

If the Canucks stay relatively healthy, I think they'll for sure be one of the bigger outlying teams of the year.  If the trend of injuries continues, it's another bottom 10 finish.

well, I wonder about that. We haven't had the kind of depth in Utica since.... maybe never. I wonder if the model takes into account the quality of injury replacement players? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

1 minute ago, ForestFalcon said:

So between playoff teams and non-playoff teams, the only changes they made to that were basically saying Winnipeg and Columbus don't make it, probably purely based on the players they lost in the offseason. And for some reason they chose the Wild as one of the 2 teams that makes it back in. Florida is an easy one to throw in as making it a just make it in considering they were right there. Don't know, doesn't really feel like a whole lot went into making this list. I'd call it a boring safe list, in which basically everything remains status quo from last year, except where there's obvious changes in teams.

It's one guy working with analytics largely based on last year's numbers.  There's a reason why he updates it weekly as fresher numbers come in.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, I wonder about that. We haven't had the kind of depth in Utica since.... maybe never. I wonder if the model takes into account the quality of injury replacement players? 

Not this one.  It's purely numbers based with a huge bias towards the previous year.  This guy basically wrote a weighted analytical model and just plugs in player and team numbers from statistical sites.

If I remember right, he started doing this 2 or 3 years ago and did terribly his first year with his original model.  Re-wrote the entire thing and has done fairly well ever since.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not this one.  It's purely numbers based with a huge bias towards the previous year.  This guy basically wrote a weighted analytical model and just plugs in player and team numbers from statistical sites.

If I remember right, he started doing this 2 or 3 years ago and did terribly his first year with his original model.  Re-wrote the entire thing and has done fairly well ever since.

huh. Well I don't have any numbers, but I have to think having Baer vs. Megna or Beiga vs Pouliot might skew the numbers in our favour :lol:

We'll see how it goes. I also just dont see the Sabres being that crappy either. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

huh. Well I don't have any numbers, but I have to think having Baer vs. Megna or Beiga vs Pouliot might skew the numbers in our favour :lol:

We'll see how it goes. I also just dont see the Sabres being that crappy either. 

If they keep Hutton and Ullmark as their goalies, they'll stay in the bottom 10.

1 hour ago, Run n Gun said:

For the past 4 years...

The media have had low projections for the Nucks. Followed by outrage from these very message boards.... yet the Nucks have continually proven that they are a bottom feeding team.

Will this year be different? I sure hope so... but I can also see why projections for the team are all over the place for this year. 

Let's not get our panties in a bunch, folks.

Almost exclusively because of injuries.  Year after year they show they can play with anyone when they play healthy........the problem is the catastrophic injuries that hit every single year.  No team would be able to weather those kinds of injuries and stay competitive, let alone a rebuilding team.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

I think analysts work more on past results than potential.

Canucks are harder to nail down because of our youth.... compare us to.... Pittsburgh.... all of their high end players.... well you know how their going to perform..... and how as a team they have performed over the last 5 seasons.

Now with the canucks... we have performed poorly the last few years.... this would lead a analyst to believe that trend will continue. Except our young core is growing at a exponential rate... and our additions are hard to factor in because these analysts dont watch our team closely. Take it Miller for example. A analyst would look and say hes a 3rd line forward.... because that's what he was last season. But his chemistry with horvat.... omg... hes a high caliber player. We know this because we know our team.

At the end of the day..... if our young core Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes. Exceed league expectations..... and I believe they will

So will the canucks..... pettersson with 66 points vs 84 points is a huge diffrence in caliber.... but well within reach!!!

So let's get out there boys and put the peddle to the metal!... or. Ummmm.... blade to the ice !

13 minutes ago, nowhereman said:

So the Canucks add several top six players, overhaul their defense and expect big gains from one of the better young cores in the league... but will finish even worse than last season?

Okay....

The predictions were made from stats taken from last season.  They are kind of useless.  

I’ve seen several rankings now that don’t see the Canucks as a playoff team , I’m not to worried about it. They still see Winnipeg right up there like they were as good as last year which is not the case. They see Florida as a favourite on these things too , but I don’t think they improved more than every other Eastern team . They retired Luongo and blew the payroll on Bobrovski .