The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Joshua Ho-Sang requests trade

28 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If you pick up a player on waivers, you have to keep him on the roster. If a player passes through waivers, you can keep him in the AHL until you need him as a depth player. Because most teams were setting there rosters, some players passed through who probably wouldn't later in the season.

After a bit of the season passes some teams will suffer injuries and some of their young players may not be ready. Then we will see a few trades.

Ho Sang passed through waivers as well. That doesn't mean he has no value to other teams; Same with Baertschi.

The big difference is that Baer wasn't taken due to his cap hit; while Ho Sang was due to more significant concerns. 

Having Baer (and Goldy) on the farm team gives the Canucks tremendous depth when injuries start piling up. 

Meanwhile, Ho Sang, for whatever reason(s), can't seem to make the NHL.  He will be 24yrs in January and was drafted in the same year as Virtanen.  Many fans have already given up on Jake and want to see him traded, but he has certainly bypassed Ho Sang in terms of NHL worthiness. 

Too add; I can't see Ho Sang having the criteria Canucks management have for bringing new players into the fold: CHARACTER.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The big difference is that Baer wasn't taken due to his cap hit; while Ho Sang was due to more significant concerns. 

Having Baer (and Goldy) on the farm team gives the Canucks tremendous depth when injuries start piling up. 

Meanwhile, Ho Sang, for whatever reason(s), can't seem to make the NHL.  He will be 24yrs in January and was drafted in the same year as Virtanen.  Many fans have already given up on Jake and want to see him traded, but he has certainly bypassed Ho Sang in terms of NHL worthiness. 

Too add; I can't see Ho Sang having the criteria Canucks management have for bringing new players into the fold: CHARACTER.

I'm not advocating for a trade. I was actually defending Baertschi's worth. Some were suggesting that, because he passed through waivers, that was evidence that he no longer had any value. I was also demonstrating that a player who passes through waivers can be attractive to other teams.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm not advocating for a trade. I was actually defending Baertschi's worth. Some were suggesting that, because he passed through waivers, that was evidence that he no longer had any value. I was also demonstrating that a player who passes through waivers can be attractive to other teams.

Yeah, I knew that.  I just thought the last line was a good starter for what I had to say, which continued to elaborate on what you had said. 

13 hours ago, The Lock said:

The problem I see here is we are in a situation where we want to give up cap and have too many roster players who are either fringe top 6 (and, yes, Baer falls into this category given his concussion history as of late which has seemed to affect him) or bottom 6. Any team who is willing to trade for Baer at this point is doing us a favour and I'd argue that any player we get for him would be an added bonus.

That being said, I don't want Ho-Sang (and let me stress that, I'm NOT for this trade), but I think the fact that Baer went through waivers (which I believe is what was being referred to earlier as "free player") gives a pretty good indication on Baer's value at the moment. Your first paragraph actually proves why the trade would actually work. He doesn't have value due to most teams being unable to afford his cap hit.

I am however a little baffled by your first sentence? Why exactly are players easier to trade once they go through the waiver wire? When you're talking a cap hit like he has, why would it even matter?

It could be more that if any team had put a claim on Ho-Sang he would have to report to their NHL club roster, causing them to waive another player. Ho-Sang passing thru waivers only proved teams had their NHL rosters locked. But now that he has cleared waivers he can be traded without worry of upsetting an NHL roster... All that being said i'm not a fan of his and don't think it's worth him poisoning the well so to speak. We have a lot of fresh faces on the farm this year, i'd hate to see a guy like that come in and taint things. 

14 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You do understand that players are easier to trade once they pass through waivers right? Or do you?  And did you even read the info that most teams are in a cap crunch right now so even if a team wanted Baer to help out their top 6, most teams can't add cap right now?!!??  :frantic:

Anyway, like has been said a number of times, trades will occur in a few weeks once injuries occur.

Ya those types of transactions require money coming back.  

You don't get a good prospect. You get someone other team has buried in minors. 

Like Gagner trade last season.  

When a player passes waivers means no one wants him or his contract. 

If Baer gets traded JB will have to take a contract back. 

5 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

If you pick up a player on waivers, you have to keep him on the roster. If a player passes through waivers, you can keep him in the AHL until you need him as a depth player. Because most teams were setting there rosters, some players passed through who probably wouldn't later in the season.

After a bit of the season passes some teams will suffer injuries and some of their young players may not be ready. Then we will see a few trades.

Ho Sang passed through waivers as well. That doesn't mean he has no value to other teams; Same with Baertschi.

The thing is though, value fluctuates. RIGHT NOW, Baertschi has no value because of the reasons you mentioned. That value can obviously change over time once things like injuries happen.

What you've said is regarding the future, which is fine and you're not wrong in that, but it doesn't exactly prove what I've said to be wrong either.

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

It could be more that if any team had put a claim on Ho-Sang he would have to report to their NHL club roster, causing them to waive another player. Ho-Sang passing thru waivers only proved teams had their NHL rosters locked. But now that he has cleared waivers he can be traded without worry of upsetting an NHL roster... All that being said i'm not a fan of his and don't think it's worth him poisoning the well so to speak. We have a lot of fresh faces on the farm this year, i'd hate to see a guy like that come in and taint things. 

I'm not saying I want Ho Sang. In fact, I don't want Ho Sang (I even stressed that in my post, apparently not enough lol).

In terms of being "more tradable" when sent down, keep in mind that each AHL team can only have so many veterans on their roster. Not only that, but there are a number of teams who don't have the money to bury 1 way contracts in the minors which limits the potential trade candidates even further. I could be mistaken, but we don't generally see a lot of guys with larger contracts being traded after being sent down like Baertschi has, so I think this notion of him being more tradable might be perhaps more wishful thinking than anything unfortunately. It would be nice, and I'd be pleasantly surprised if it happened, but unlikely in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The thing is though, value fluctuates. RIGHT NOW, Baertschi has no value because of the reasons you mentioned. That value can obviously change over time once things like injuries happen.

What you've said is regarding the future, which is fine and you're not wrong in that, but it doesn't exactly prove what I've said to be wrong either.

I would rather keep Baertschi as a depth call up anyway. That's his value right now. An NHL calibre player who can step into an offensive role.  We already know what to expect from him if he's called upon.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

That probably played a role in JHS going unclaimed but we're also in a different climate. Pretty much everyone went unclaimed because teams just don't have roster spots, cap space or money to spend. But there's always a trade to be made. NYI will have to take a contract back though.