The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Joshua Ho-Sang requests trade

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Honestly clear some cap space and give beartschi a chance in the nhl again

Baertschi for Ho Sang

Not a frickin chance.  Baer is actually a good player and he will be back up. Either that or trade Baer for an actual good prospect.  Not this ho sang bust kid.

Would you trade Baer for goldy? I sure to hell hope not.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not a frickin chance.  Baer is actually a good player and he will be back up. Either that or trade Baer for an actual good prospect.  Not this ho sang bust kid.

I would actually consider that trade of Baer for Ho Sang from one standpoint.

I like Baer as a player, think he as an excellent trade for Benning, but his concussion history REALLY scares me. He could easily be one minor head shot away, or one bad fall, from needing to retire.

The whole reason that he was sent down was because they felt that he was shying away from situations where that could happen. He's not playing with the same engage level that he was before last season.

If you can turn him into another asset who has promise, I would look closely at doing it.

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Ho Sang

2020 4th or 5th round pick

To NYI

Baerstchi

Ho Sang would of course, still be in Utica though, awaiting an opportunity to show that he belongs.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We will willing to let bear go for nothing... getting an asset back while shedding cap is a no brainer

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

We will willing to let bear go for nothing... getting an asset back while shedding cap is a no brainer

Who was willing to let him go for free?

Pretty sure management knew almost every team in the NHL has cap challenges and they were fairly certain Baer and his 3.5 million dollar salary would not get claimed. 

But yes, they did take a chance.

We obviously disagree though, I believe Baer does and will have much more value around the league than ho sang. So a big no thanks to trading for him. 

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I feel really bad for Baertschi with his concussion history. He’s a good, reliable player on the ice, but his inability to stay in the lineup taxes everyone from the top down.

I’d do a Ho-Sang for Baertschi trade.

Edited by Me_
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would actually consider that trade of Baer for Ho Sang from one standpoint.

I like Baer as a player, think he as an excellent trade for Benning, but his concussion history REALLY scares me. He could easily be one minor head shot away, or one bad fall, from needing to retire.

The whole reason that he was sent down was because they felt that he was shying away from situations where that could happen. He's not playing with the same engage level that he was before last season.

If you can turn him into another asset who has promise, I would look closely at doing it.

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Ho Sang

2020 4th or 5th round pick

To NYI

Baerstchi

Ho Sang would of course, still be in Utica though, awaiting an opportunity to show that he belongs.

The concussion thing is a concern, but not something that we need to trade. If, God forbid, that he does get another concussion and is forced to retire (or LTIRetire) then his cap doesn't really affect us. Baertschi, if healthy, has more value to our team than Ho-Sang who is a relatively known headcase because Sven fits our character model and is likely the best case scenario for a Ho-Sang anyway.

I don't mind the idea of trading Baertschi for a young asset, but it's like saying a team would give one up for a Gagner or Spooner in which case we would've done easily. But if Ho-Sang is the best deal we could get, I'm not that interested. Rather just take our chances with a 5th round pick instead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Why would anyone trade you a good prospect for Baer when all 30 teams just passed up on him on waivers. They could have had him for free and said no thx.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Islanders are one of the few teams that have Cap Space. 

Ho Sang for Eriksson saves a LOT of room. The Canucks can even leave Josh in the minors and call up Baer. 

Given Benning's emphasis on character at the draft, there is basically no chance of this happening.  Ho-Sang's has had problems with authority at every level he's played at; this is far beyond a kid with some maturity issues who needs to grow up.

46 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Why would anyone trade you a good prospect for Baer when all 30 teams just passed up on him on waivers. They could have had him for free and said no thx.

You do understand that players are easier to trade once they pass through waivers right? Or do you?  And did you even read the info that most teams are in a cap crunch right now so even if a team wanted Baer to help out their top 6, most teams can't add cap right now?!!??  :frantic:

Anyway, like has been said a number of times, trades will occur in a few weeks once injuries occur.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You do understand that players are easier to trade once they pass through waivers right? Or do you?  And did you even read the info that most teams are in a cap crunch right now so even if a team wanted Baer to help out their top 6, most teams can't add cap right now?!!??  :frantic:

Anyway, like has been said a number of times, trades will occur in a few weeks once injuries occur.

The problem I see here is we are in a situation where we want to give up cap and have too many roster players who are either fringe top 6 (and, yes, Baer falls into this category given his concussion history as of late which has seemed to affect him) or bottom 6. Any team who is willing to trade for Baer at this point is doing us a favour and I'd argue that any player we get for him would be an added bonus.

That being said, I don't want Ho-Sang (and let me stress that, I'm NOT for this trade), but I think the fact that Baer went through waivers (which I believe is what was being referred to earlier as "free player") gives a pretty good indication on Baer's value at the moment. Your first paragraph actually proves why the trade would actually work. He doesn't have value due to most teams being unable to afford his cap hit.

I am however a little baffled by your first sentence? Why exactly are players easier to trade once they go through the waiver wire? When you're talking a cap hit like he has, why would it even matter?

Edited by The Lock

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Unfortuantely, Ho-sang isn't a player I'd want on the Canucks. 

HARD PASS

Yeah same, If there was every a Ho-sang trade, it would be for a bit player like Schaller, Biega that sorts, someone thats easily replaceable. People here were already pissed over here about Hodgson, and Jonathan Dahlen, and Ho-Sang is a much better headache.

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The Islanders are one of the few teams that have Cap Space. 

Ho Sang for Eriksson saves a LOT of room. The Canucks can even leave Josh in the minors and call up Baer. 

Damn if that ever happens Id take it. As much as Ho-Sang is a pain the ass, the 6 million cap hit is even a bigger pain.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Damn if that ever happens Id take it. As much as Ho-Sang is a pain the ass, the 6 million cap hit is even a bigger pain.

Best part is he can stay in Utica. If he fixes his attitude he can be brought up later in the year. 

Worst case, he's an RFA and the end of season and we let him walk. 

12 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is ridiculous to say that he suddenly has more than token value just because he was waived.

All of Ho-Sang’s underlying numbers say he should be a top six guy.  Maybe his attitude gets sorted in a different organization... but freeing up cap space for other purposes AND getting a player with potential is a fine deal when all you are giving up is a surplus player.

Most of his cap hit still counts while in the minors, so your argument about cap crunched teams suddenly wanting him makes no sense.  Baertschi in the minors plus a $1 million dollar player on your roster is the same cap hit as claiming Baertschi and sending down that $1 million dollar player to make space for him.

We were in fact Ok losing him for free, we waived him.  We would have been totally fine with shedding the cap space.

His cap hit and where he fits on the roster are part of the decision making.  I would rather see him up and either Schaller or Eriksson down... but the coach sees his team differently.

Edited by Provost

12 hours ago, The Lock said:

I am however a little baffled by your first sentence? Why exactly are players easier to trade once they go through the waiver wire? When you're talking a cap hit like he has, why would it even matter?

If you pick up a player on waivers, you have to keep him on the roster. If a player passes through waivers, you can keep him in the AHL until you need him as a depth player. Because most teams were setting there rosters, some players passed through who probably wouldn't later in the season.

After a bit of the season passes some teams will suffer injuries and some of their young players may not be ready. Then we will see a few trades.

Ho Sang passed through waivers as well. That doesn't mean he has no value to other teams; Same with Baertschi.

• Like 1