The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VIDEO: Woman goes on racist, expletive-filled tirade directed at employees of BC drug store

Ryan Strome

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'm so tired of people getting away with things like this. I've been through it & suffered as well..like Literally, eh?

I was in a drug store & the lame helpers were a coupla' Newfies, who started speakin' Newfanese..How DARE they?! Disingenuous AND discriminatory! Well, I let'em have it(chap 2 tomorrow, when I've settled down)

Crazy burgers probably asked you "where ya to, boi."

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is it racist if you get pissed off at the Tim Horton's workers who can barely understand English yet provide services to English speaking customers? Because I've seen that happen.

I couldn't care if they speak ....Klingon.....    as long as i get my frickin coffee.. black and no crappy sugar in it....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I couldn't care if they speak ....Klingon.....    as long as i get my frickin coffee.. black and no crappy sugar in it....

also, you know just out of a sense of self preservation, getting pissy with restaurant staff preparing food for you is a very bad idea. Unless you like extra toppings. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Dialects are the spoken part of Chinese, ie. the verbose part.  The underlying words and grammatical constructs are common though (simplified vs. traditional writing notwithstanding).

Ok then. Ftr I have called it Chinese before and have been jumped all over for it. I was told most Chinese Canadians speak Mandarin. Don't know if that's true or if there is any rhyme or reason for that.

Just now, DADDYROCK said:

Ryan S this is a Hockey Forum all you seem to do is bitch about politics or something other than hockey AND THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU COME OUT OF THE WOOD WORK , so TROLL away somewhere else or try and be polite.

whoa chief, RS is many things but he's not a troll. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DADDYROCK said:

Ryan S this is a Hockey Forum all you seem to do is bitch about politics or something other than hockey AND THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU COME OUT OF THE WOOD WORK , so TROLL away somewhere else or try and be polite.

Lol I have been on here for like 11 years I really don't need your advice. Blaming Trump is so stupid, it's actually I almost saying their wouldn't be racism with out Trump. Do you know any first nations history? Stop with your nonsense.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Mandarin is the dialect spoken by Singapore, Taiwan, and the official (ie. gov't) dialect of mainlanders (and their diaspora).  The mainland government likes to call it "putonghua" (or common language, shows how much of a stuck-up bunch they are).

Cantonese is another dialect, more commonly spoken in Hong Kong and southern mainland China, and was the predominantly active dialect of Chinese diaspora in North America in the 70s to 90s, after which the mainlanders started making their rush out from the motherland (ain't their national pride so wonderful that they can't bear to stay in their own glorious country?).  The mainland government is seeking to stamp out this dialect.

Historical fact: Cantonese and Mandarin were the two dialect candidates to be the official (ie. governmental) dialect of the mainland at one point.  Mandarin won by tiebreaker.

Also as dialects: Teochew, Hokkien, Toishan (which is a variant of Cantonese that was spoken in Vancouver for many years leading up to the 70's and 80s, when most of the older folk started dying and their dialect was replaced by the immigration wave from Hong Kong), Shanghaiese, Hakka, and even Beijing has their own dialect (full of "rrrrrr"s).

Thanks. 

43 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I've been to this store a few times actually, its right across from metrotown. Certainly not a place you'd be surprised to hear a language different from english. 

I think, in fairness, we have to distinguish between "hearing a different language" and being served by someone who switches off to another language during that transaction and in our presence. 

I worked with Turkish people who spoke English very well...had been here for some time.  When we'd have a celebratory lunch or meeting, they'd ALL start talking in Turkish at which point I'd go answer the phone.  One day my boss asked why I wasn't in the room...I told her it was pointless.  It's rather uncomfortable to sit when people are laughing/talking in your presence and you have no idea what it's about.  It's more about being considerate than anything else.  I think we all should strive to help one another build bridges...clerks, customers, everyone.   

If the clerk had to clarify something with a boss and found it more efficient to expedite by using her native tongue, simply do it in a private area.  I don't agree with how this woman responded (at all...it was highly inappropriate and offensive), but there is a level of frustration that seeps in when rudeness is perceived.  If she'd handled this correctly, I'd likely have supported her stance to some degree.  

But to infuse it with hatred?  Nope....lost me.

My twelve cents. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think, in fairness, we have to distinguish between "hearing a different language" and being served by someone who switches off to another language during that transaction and in our presence. 

I worked with Turkish people who spoke English very well...had been here for some time.  When we'd have a celebratory lunch or meeting, they'd ALL start talking in Turkish at which point I'd go answer the phone.  One day my boss asked why I wasn't in the room...I told her it was pointless.  It's rather uncomfortable to sit when people are laughing/talking in your presence and you have no idea what it's about.  It's more about being considerate than anything else.  I think we all should strive to help one another build bridges...clerks, customers, everyone.   

If the clerk had to clarify something with a boss and found it more efficient to expedite by using her native tongue, simply do it in a private area.  I don't agree with how this woman responded (at all...it was highly inappropriate and offensive), but there is a level of frustration that seeps in when rudeness is perceived.  If she'd handled this correctly, I'd likely have supported her stance to some degree.  

But to infuse it with hatred?  Nope....lost me.

My twelve cents. 

As long as it's not.... <other language> then Deb, then hahahahaha. Don't worry about it. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

It seems we are all losing our tolerance at times.

That's a big part of it.  Sadly, the world is in a hurry, has no time for anything/anyone and especially if you're not doing things exactly as we want.  A bunch of short fuses ready to go off.  It's why I spend so much time at the river...so peaceful.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yes, they may speak functional English... but do you really expect a whole group of Turkish people to sit around and speak to each other in their second language. English during their break time........   It is easier... more pleasurable and they have a deeper conversation in their primary language... so they choose it.  

If you were in China.. sitting with a group of Canadians...  Would you have your discussion in Cantonese  that you struggle with... ?

Its a tricky situation.  My wife is a non english speaker and she goes through this same situation frequently where she works with her non english colleagues that share her language...

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Is it racist if you get pissed off at the Tim Horton's workers who can barely understand English yet provide services to English speaking customers? Because I've seen that happen.

We had Brazilian exchange students in our class in 2007; the teacher told them to speak English in class. In 2019, that may have very well lead to a lawsuit. Certainly a dismissal.

This country is getting &^@#ing ridiculous. 

I can think of a brazillion reasons that wasn't cool....B)

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

whoa chief, RS is many things but he's not a troll. 

'Struth....I've always thought of Ryan as more of an Orc....or a Goblin....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Mandarin is the dialect spoken by Singapore, Taiwan, and the official (ie. gov't) dialect of mainlanders (and their diaspora).  The mainland government likes to call it "putonghua" (or common language, shows how much of a stuck-up bunch they are).

Cantonese is another dialect, more commonly spoken in Hong Kong and southern mainland China, and was the predominantly active dialect of Chinese diaspora in North America in the 70s to 90s, after which the mainlanders started making their rush out from the motherland (ain't their national pride so wonderful that they can't bear to stay in their own glorious country?).  The mainland government is seeking to stamp out this dialect.

Historical fact: Cantonese and Mandarin were the two dialect candidates to be the official (ie. governmental) dialect of the mainland at one point.  Mandarin won by tiebreaker.

Also as dialects: Teochew, Hokkien, Toishan (which is a variant of Cantonese that was spoken in Vancouver for many years leading up to the 70's and 80s, when most of the older folk started dying and their dialect was replaced by the immigration wave from Hong Kong), Shanghaiese, Hakka, and even Beijing has their own dialect (full of "rrrrrr"s).

I'm really surprised Wu hasn't been mentioned....

....heck, they say it after every Canuck goal....:unsure:

• Haha 3