The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jess Allen of "The Social" on CTV had this to say about Don Cherry, Hockey players, and Hockey Culture

ReggieBush

Thoughts?  Ice hockey has a very poor homophobic culture - other sports have this problem for sure, but hockey has definitely struggled with this.  It is definitely the whitest sport out of the big 5 (basketball, football, baseball, soccer).  Ice hockey is slowly losing appeal in Canada and the United states.  The MLS is starting to overtake the NHL in terms of popularity.

Edit: to clarify, there has definitely been a lot of progress in terms of NHL diversity.  I'd say we are at around 10% of players who are of mixed or non-white ancestry.  It is trending the right way but still far behind the actual demographics of Canada or the U.S.

Let me ask you some questions, OP.  Why isnt the pool of Canadian talent as diverse as our actual population?  Do you believe there are any gay NHL players and if so, what is stopping them from coming out?  And, if you live in the city, are you willing to spend considerably more to get your kids into hockey (as opposed to other sports)?  Are you happy with the current state of women's hockey?

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Your question is stupid if you watched the video. Her response should be what you're questioning. 

What's up your ass this morning? 

I found her to be grating from the get-go. If you think she should be fired for this, I'm not going to bat for her. It's just that from the way @ReggieBush framed this topic, I thought she was someone important. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk

3 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Thoughts?  Ice hockey has a very poor homophobic culture - other sports have this problem for sure, but hockey has definitely struggled with this.  It is definitely the whitest sport out of the big 5 (basketball, football, baseball, soccer).  Ice hockey is slowly losing appeal in Canada and the United states.  The MLS is starting to overtake the NHL in terms of popularity.

Let me ask you some questions, OP.  Why isnt the pool of Canadian talent as diverse as our actual population?  Do you believe there are any gay NHL players and if so, what is stopping them from coming out?  And, if you live in the city, are you willing to spend considerably more to get your kids into hockey (as opposed to other sports)?

Currently 73% of Canada's population is "White". This number is becoming smaller and smaller (which I am happy about). We are beginning to see an influx of minorities that are playing hockey playing or getting drafted. Look at the Canucks and Jett Woo. Akil Thomas is a guy I know pretty well who plays for the Ice Dogs, is another one. Matt Dumba, Nazem Kadri, Mathiue Joesph, Anthony Duclair, GIvani and Gemel Smith, Darnell Nurse, the Subban family. We aren't there yet, but the numbers are growing. Do I beleive that there are gay players in the NHL? Yes, I am certain of it. But lets think about how many athletes have come out in the NBA, MLB, or the NFL? I am not LGBTQ+ so I cannot comment on why nobody has come out, to pin this just on Hockey culture is a straw man argument. And yes I would spend more to get my kid into hockey if he/she wanted too. My maternal grandparents were immigrants coming from families of +10 siblings and did so for my mother and aunt. It is how I was raised and are part of my values.

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I found her to be grating from the get-go. If you think she should be fired for this, I'm not going to bat for her. It's just that from the way @ReggieBush framed this topic, I thought she was someone important. 

I have never heard of her but I'm so sick of the double standards. White people can be criticized to no end however if someone says you people they got fired.

35 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Skip to 00:34 for the start of her spiel.

In my humble opinion, this is way worse than what Donald S. said given the context of the situation. Just curious to see if she will get fired or if she will be held to a different standard.

Thoughts?

These people are part of the problem. The stupidity on display in this video is mind-numbing.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I framed it in this way because there are certain parallels to the situation. This is a nationally televised show, on a nationally televised network.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Your question is stupid if you watched the video. Her response should be what you're questioning. 

I think the good Dr's question was more to the point of why should we be listening to Jess Allen.

And just an observation, but I think the "stupid question" comment was uncalled for.

• Upvote 1

• -SN- locked this topic