The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs fire Mike Babcock, name Sheldon Keefe as new head coach

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah, having a rookie Mitch Marner write down players he thinks are the hardest working and least hardest working then reading it in front of the whole team, putting your star rookie in a really awkward spot. Great guy... 

It used to be normal.. he's a bit old school.. new age kids are different.. their feelings are so soft...

You should read up some stuff Boman used to do.. Paul coffee hated him....most players hated him.  But he's got 9 Stanley Cups... Mike Keenan.. Jacques Lemaire.. all hated by players but very successful..

DET players couldn't stand Babcock. All hated him but he won a Stanley Cup there...

Times have changed. Players are prima donnas..

If you are old enough to remember Babcock taking the Anaheim Ducks to the finals.. it was genius. Coaching at its best...

I wonder if all these stories about Babcock would be coming out if he had coached and gotten fired from the Coyotes instead? It's just amusing to me to see Babcock go from being regarded as one of the best coaches in the NHL to "he ain't $&!#" since he got canned by Toronto. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

It used to be normal.. he's a bit old school.. new age kids are different.. their feelings are so soft...

You should read up some stuff Boman used to do.. Paul coffee hated him....most players hated him.  But he's got 9 Stanley Cups... Mike Keenan.. Jacques Lemaire.. all hated by players but very successful..

DET players couldn't stand Babcock. All hated him but he won a Stanley Cup there...

If you are old enough to remember Babcock taking the Anaheim Ducks to the finals.. it was genius. Coaching at its best...

There's a fine line between being tough and being an ass. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

When he was hired to lead the Leafs out of the wilderness, Babcock was hailed by the Toronto media as the second and final coming of Christ. He would establish world peace, free the slaves, cure cancer, end all criminal activity and build the Great Wall of Ontario to keep all the Central Canadians in and the bad Canadians out. He would redefine the game of hockey, reimagine success and prevent Auston Matthews from trying to grow a moustache that looked like a giant caterpillar devouring his face.

Now that he has been fired, well, he never was any good, 95% of his players hate him, he resolutely treated players with contempt and he won't bow down before the mighty Dubas. He also beats his wife and skewers small children while in his cups and kicks invalid beggars on the downtown streets of Hogtown. And Torontonians are sincerely mystified when the rest of the Canada views them with a contempt that they misinterpret as jealousy. Not jealous, Toronto, just grateful not to be you. I have enormous respect for the Leaf players who live under the biggest and most intrusive microscope in the NHL and I don't even mind most of the actual fans because, like us, they love their team and only want to see them succeed. But the Toronto media? They remind me of the Egyptian Plover, a small bird that makes its living by picking bits of meat from between the teeth of Nile crocodiles that, curiously, allow them to be living toothpicks. Or maybe Remoras, fish that live semi attached to sharks, and that get their food from scraps the sharks make when devouring their prey. In both cases, these critters owe their living to the hard work of others, which pretty much defines Toronto media. They love a front runner, but once somebody leaves, he was as useful as a kidney stone.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yeah people are under the impression that the head coach has to be your best friend (re: players).  Mike Keenan though was d-bag of the worst kind.  Might have been a good head coach at one time but a horrible human being.  Course, being a nice guy isn't a requirement to being a good head coach.  He's your "boss".  Not your priest.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah people are under the impression that the head coach has to be your best friend (re: players).  Mike Keenan though was d-bag of the worst kind.  Might have been a good head coach at one time but a horrible human being.  Course, being a nice guy isn't a requirement to being a good head coach.  He's your "boss".  Not your priest.

Right here. Great post.. my feelings exactly..

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I wonder if all these stories about Babcock would be coming out if he had coached and gotten fired from the Coyotes instead? It's just amusing to me to see Babcock go from being regarded as one of the best coaches in the NHL to "he ain't $&!#" since he got canned by Toronto. 

The Canadian Market effect. The hockey media has you under a microscope. Remember when we got all up in arms over Virt drinking water at a practice?

• Upvote 1

Regarding the Marner hard working list what wasn’t mentioned was how many times they asked Mitch to increase his work rate before Babcock tried that approach.  When coaching any type of sport I can’t tell you how much having guys not buy into the culture holds you back.  I don’t think anyone is going to borrow babcocks idea and add it to a coaching manual.  Look at a guy like Boeser on the Canucks how much is forecheck has improved both from a willingness and effectiveness standpoint.    I’m sure those conversations were not easy as well.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Mike Babcock is not an old school coach. An old school coach wouldn't be a little rat the way Babcock treated Marner. 

You're confusing being tough but respected with whatever the hell Babcock tried.

Bowman was an asshole but guys still respected him. If players respected Babcock, none of this stuff would be coming out in the press. 

Babcock is not old-school and whoever thinks he is doesn't have an understanding of what it means to be a man. This is what 13-year old girls do in the cafeteria... "did you hear what so-and-so said about you"... 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Mike Babcock does not deserve to ever have a head coaching job in the NHL again. 

This aftermath is just crazy. Even as a Canucks fan I'm loving all this juicy news of what will be the downfall of what should be a HoF coach. I think at the time the Marner thing happened they had Lou as GM and he's not someone players, especially first year players can go to. I'm shocked Marner isn't on another team right now.

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

to me this whole Babcock tear down is distasteful and unprofessional. You don't need to rip a guy after firing him, unless you're trying to justify the decision in the media and thats pretty pathetic imo. I don't care about Babcock one way or another, but I would hate it if this was done to a coach from the Canucks. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

to me this whole Babcock tear down is distasteful and unprofessional. You don't need to rip a guy after firing him, unless you're trying to justify the decision in the media and thats pretty pathetic imo. I don't care about Babcock one way or another, but I would hate it if this was done to a coach from the Canucks. 

Thanks Jimmy. I completely agree. It's distasteful and it's uncalled for... 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Mike Babcock is not an old school coach. An old school coach wouldn't be a little rat the way Babcock treated Marner. 

You're confusing being tough but respected with whatever the hell Babcock tried.

Bowman was an asshole but guys still respected him. If players respected Babcock, none of this stuff would be coming out in the press. 

Babcock is not old-school and whoever thinks he is doesn't have an understanding of what it means to be a man. This is what 13-year old girls do in the cafeteria... "did you hear what so-and-so said about you"... 

So over a different opinion in this situation you insunated that I'm not a real man?.

That and you said 13 yr old girls do in cafeteria ?. Not 13 year old boys eh...

Look in the mirror that's so sexist...  Plenty of 13 year old boys and girls talk stuff ... 

Babs is a Stanley Cup champion 2 Olympic golds.. he's no 13 year old "child"... 

Here's something on Bowman... Greatest coach in hockey history...

"You hated him for 364 days a year. And on the 365th day, you collected your Stanley Cup rings."

Steve Shutt 

Edited by WHL rocks

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't know. The news that came out about Torts' time in Vancouver after his firing really put the disfunction of that season into perspective. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't know. The news that came out about Torts' time in Vancouver after his firing really put the disfunction of that season into perspective. 

I guess I liked how the Sedins handled it, they didn't come out and rip Torts they just tried to do their job. Thats the right way to be imo, particularly if you're making millions to do a job too. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So over a different opinion in this situation you insunated that I'm not a real man?.

That and you said 13 yr old girls do in cafeteria ?. Not 13 year old boys eh...

Look in the mirror that's so sexist...  Plenty of 13 year old boys and girls talk stuff ... 

Babs is a Stanley Cup champion 2 Olympic golds.. he's no 13 year old "child"... 

Here's something on Bowman... Greatest coach in hockey history...

"You hated him for 364 days a year. And on the 365th day, you collected your Stanley Cup rings."

Steve Shutt 

#1 Its not just a difference of opinion. One opinion is objectively less accurate than the other. You are suggesting that getting someone to write down a list of how they rank their peers and then showing that list to peers so that they know who exists at the bottom of the list is something that men should do or that this is an old school way of thinking. I don't know what type of old-school coach would think that playing teammates off of one another is a good idea. This is so passive aggressive,. 

#2 Girls engage in more relational aggression than boys. Saying that girls do something doesn't imply that boys don't do that thing. 

#3 Winning doesn't make you good/moral. Nor does being good/moral in the past guarantee you will continue to be that way in the future.

#4 The difference between Babcock and Bowman isn't that players hate Babcock and like Bowman. The difference is a matter of respect. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Was it Burrows or Hansen that said that Torts hadn't talked to them all year? Things went sideways with AV, Willie D, etc., but you didn't hear Burr every bury them. 

It would be totally classless to slag a fired coach for minor disagreements/differences in point of view. If you are a generally bad person, don't be surprised if it comes back to bite you. Especially after you no longer hold that level of power over someone. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

#1 Its not just a difference of opinion. One opinion is objectively less accurate than the other. You are suggesting that getting someone to write down a list of how they rank their peers and then showing that list to peers so that they know who exists at the bottom of the list is something that men should do or that this is an old school way of thinking. I don't know what type of old-school coach would think that playing teammates off of one another is a good idea. This is so passive aggressive,. 

#2 Girls engage in more relational aggression than boys. Saying that girls do something doesn't imply that boys don't do that thing. 

#3 Winning doesn't make you good/moral. Nor does being good/moral in the past guarantee you will continue to be that way in the future.

#4 The difference between Babcock and Bowman isn't that players hate Babcock and like Bowman. The difference is a matter of respect. 

River I agree with you on certain aspects of your opinion.. 

Not on others... let's leave it there...cheers 

• Cheers 2