The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 09, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I consider my frustration at times - passion. I want this team to win badly, I know they can win, they've beaten good teams this year. But after losing 9-2 down the road and then getting beaten badly again against an average team, when these points are so important. 

For some reason, when a goalie seems to be struggling, nothing works better than a game against the Canucks to get out of that slump. The Canucks made struggling Bob look like Ken Dryden last night. Pettersson was having to battle Matheson on and off all night. Where were his team mates? This passive Canucks mentality is frustrating. I can't sit here and think "well, they're young and still learning". That's BS. There are a lot of good veteran players on this team, and only a small handful of young guys. I know they'll win another game, hopefully they can win one on this road trip.

This team is a ways off from being real good. They need playoff grit, which is sorely missing. And a coach who demands excellence. Get Loui out of there. He's too fricken slow.

other than Boeser alone in front, I don't recall any GREAT saves

But like

Ken said in his book, winning goalies need to make saves even when there are not many shots, ( not our goalies problem)

but that could have been 2-2

Without Tom Larcheid doing colour anymore , we don't hear the word "Fragile" like we used to. This team is fragile, everyone is waiting for someone else to "Make a save", "Make a hit" "Score a goal" . It seems like everyone is waiting for something to happen 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning guaranteed playoffs this year or next, when he traded the 1st. They're all in.  

Heard on 1040 this morning that’s what caused the split with Linden.  Trevor wanted to continue to build slow, and collect more picks. JB and Aquilini believed they could go all in.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is huge (the bolded part)...I, too, wish we'd have more of a pack mentality.  

But, the flipside to that is that if teams start to target Petey & Quinne, that could be massive.  So it almost seems like they're letting sleeping dogs lie and not poking the bear?  But, at times, you want to see that abandoned as emotion should take over and the warriors come out.  Not just battling hard for the puck, but giving a damn good slam into the boards now and then to say "hey, no".  Edler's good for that on occasion, but we don't get nearly enough of it from the team.  None for the most part.

I didn't have a problem with Petey and Matheson because for the most part I felt it was Petey initiating. Petey wants to settle his own score and that is part of what we want from ALL or our players. Petey was not hiding behind his team mates or the ref. That is a rivalry that may last throughout both players career. However, what I did not like in the Tampa game was Jake Virtanen laying a hit on a smaller player then standing beside the broohaha and not participating.   This team has 2 players willing to mix it up, Rooster and Beagle.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard on 1040 this morning that’s what caused the split with Linden.  Trevor wanted to continue to build slow, and collect more picks. JB and Aquilini believed they could go all in.  

I don’t really understand how people can consider trading one 1st round pick for an established 26 year old 1st line NHLer is going all in... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What a garbage effort by this team after being destroyed by Tampa the previous game, just an embarrassment to everyone, obviously the coach can't motivate his players enough after a blow out loss, just pathetic

you kind of have to wonder, after the "great practice" with Boes and Virt switching spots, then game time comes and all is as it was, are the players "playing the coach" in practice?

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Do you honestly think this team will make the playoffs?

what will you be saying when we are on the sidelines for the third straight year under Green 

will you be ok with that? 

you will still be drinking the Kool Aid? 

Hahaha I’d love to make the playoffs and hope we do but my expectations were not to make the playoffs this year. I figure we are probably another year away.

And let me ask you something if they do squeak into the playoffs this year and lose in the first round are you going to mad because they didn’t win the cup and it’s all Greens fault hahaha

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

I don’t really understand how people can consider trading one 1st round pick for an established 26 year old 1st line NHLer is going all in... 

It’s the UFA signings too.  JB said the team is past the rebuilding phase.  He said we have the prospects in place to keep replacing older guys as they age out or become too expensive.  He said our young core is in place.  His comments were posted on here last summer. 

I like the Miller trade, and believe it is time to support this young core with the best players JB can acquire.  This group has two seasons to make the playoffs.  If they don’t (I think we get in this season) then JB is gone.  So is Green too. 

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning guaranteed playoffs this year or next, when he traded the 1st. They're all in.  

All in to make the playoffs this year or next maybe, we're only giving up one 1st that Benning has even said he hopes to regain back. Doesn't mean we need to panic about it this year, but if we make it, then we are ahead of schedule. I expected us to be in the hunt for a wild card spot this year and surely a playoff spot next year. Seems to be going according to plan with the conditions.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hmm, have to say, I can appreciate Linden's opinion. I wonder if waiting for Demko to develop further and become the starter would've been better. By then Tryamkin, Podkolzin, Madden and Hoglander would possibly all be on the team. Petey and Quinn would be a bit older and experienced NHLers.

Pettersson and Hughes are their best players, but they're still so young and inexperienced, still small in stature. Gaudette and Virtanen are also pretty young and finding their way. Maybe if Ferland worked out like they hoped he would, they would be in a better position for something like playoffs. I guess there's still some hope for him, but I'm not very optimistic that he'll be a big impact because of his reoccurring head injuries. But no turning back now, the 1st is gone, and they've got to figure out how to become a playoff team.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Linden left in the summer of 2018. We made the Miller trade in the summer of 2019. Seems to be some time delay here that doesn't corroborate that idea. Benning and Aquilini have been preaching patience for this rebuild too.

Perhaps it was the other way around that Linden wanted to continue to give the Sedins a fighting chance for another Cup run? This seemed to be the directive early on when Benning was hired which then has changed at some point and Linden soon left.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Bolded.

It's something I've been trying to come to terms with for what feels like a decade.

We bring guys in with grit, truculence and pushback only to neuter them and force them into this passive mentality on defense and in defense of their own teammates and themselves.

Keeping composure and not allowing the pests to dictate the flow of the game is one thing. But I think it's vital for a team to know somebody is going to have your back when needed. We have guys that should be taking numbers, they just aren't. 

&^@#ing campfire songs and handshakes.

This

It's becoming more and more apparent that this team has been castrated. Look at guys like Motte and Rooster, energy guys whose purpose is to create fire by providing a spark. They want to do this, yet they don't. Even beer league has a few guys whose only purpose on the ice is to piss me off, and they do it for free. What is going on with this team and their passive and cool headed approach to everything? I've never been so bored watching the Canucks, if they aren't scoring, they aren't doing anything.

This is not the 2019/2020 season I was expecting.

Also.. Whats up with Captain Bo? Don't get me wrong, diehard Bo fan, but on the ice he needs to step up, step in, or step out.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, pack mentality is good, but where's the teeth to back up any kind of snarl?

Someone leans on Pettersson, so who pushes back with any umph and threat? Boeser? Miller? And even if they did, do you want them sitting in the box, which would almost be as good as taking out Pettersson? What about defense? Who is normally on when Pettersson is on? The defense in that game provided a certain amount of physicality during game play, but after the whistle there was perhaps Benn(?) and how often does he play with Pettersson?

Certainly one can suggest that guys like Gaudette(?), Beagle, Schaller and Roussel should provide some push-back, but they (usually) aren't going to be on the ice with Pettersson for any sort of immediate retaliation, and any other time there's the risk of instigator penalties. 

Arguably the team is missing Ferlund (or a player of that sort), who can skate, play hockey and provide a physical presence.

regards,  G.

I don't see it as neccesary or even useful to have pushback on the ice with Petterson.

It needs to be omni-present, it needs to be initiated.

Deb talks about a "pack mentality" and that is fine, but it should be about "push" not always "push back"

there was  nothing in that Fla game to push back against.

I agree that they are past the rebuilding phase, but they still aren’t going cup or bust style like Calgary and a lot of other teams making big pushes do.

They are still accumulating great prospects every year and building for the future so they aren’t really going all in. Like you said with the UFA’s most of them are on fairly short term deals because they are place holders until more of the prospects are ready to make the jump. 

I agree with what you said I just think the narrative that Canucks are going all in just to make a wild card spot is ridiculous. 

Edit: oops this was a reply to you Alf. 

Edited by Petey40

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

two losses and the team is a disaster? you really shouldn't be watching hockey if you feel that way. every team in the nhl wins and loses. it is a real fan who realizes that

Real Fan here:

I don't think people are freaking out because they lost 2 in a row (again)

It's how they lost, and really, more importantly, how they won those 7 in a row. They didn't deserve to win at least 4 of those 7. I'll take luck over skill for a few games, but it wont get you into the playoffs. This team is still young, yes, but they aren't playing with the passion of a young team, the energy and emotion. There are so many warning's with this team right now, and it's ok for people to want to talk about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We are not in a playoff position 

forget about these 2 games, we are not in a playoff position ..  again 

you are good with that 

I don’t understand how so many people on here have accepted losing and just settle for playing for “fun” 

@bree2 is right you know.  

Most reasonable understand where the Canucks are in their development as a team.  You certainly don't with your snap judgements.  

Saying people settle for losing is such a simplistic and naive way of looking at where this team is at.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Linden left in the summer of 2018. We made the Miller trade in the summer of 2019. Seems to be some time delay here that doesn't corroborate that idea. Benning and Aquilini have been preaching patience for this rebuild too.

Perhaps it was the other way around that Linden wanted to continue to give the Sedins a fighting chance for another Cup run? This seemed to be the directive early on when Benning was hired which then has changed at some point and Linden soon left.

Could be.  Likely we will never know.  Maybe Trevor just wanted to spend more time with his wife a new child?  

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hmm, have to say, I can appreciate Linden's opinion. I wonder if waiting for Demko to develop further and become the starter would've been better. By then Tryamkin, Podkolzin, Madden and Hoglander would possibly all be on the team. Petey and Quinn would be a bit older and experienced NHLers.

Pettersson and Hughes are their best players, but they're still so young and inexperienced, still small in stature. Gaudette and Virtanen are also pretty young and finding their way. Maybe if Ferland worked out like they hoped he would, they would be in a better position for something like playoffs. I guess there's still some hope for him, but I'm not very optimistic that he'll be a big impact because of his reoccurring head injuries. But no turning back now, the 1st is gone, and they've got to figure out how to become a playoff team.

Demko is still developing. Just as the back up at the NHL level after having a decent showing in the AHL. Not many step into the NHL starting role coming out of the AHL unless you think the Binnington model is the norm, but look at the team in front of him as well.

We are still very much in the playoff race and even 1st in our division at this point.