The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Canucks, Five Undrafted NCAA Free Agents to Consider

16 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I thought that was the reason they dealt Madden?  (no room for another C)

No room for a 5'11" 150 lb. centre. Dunne is 6'4" 198 lbs. The team can send him to Utica and he'd fit in as a 4th line centre or better long term. 

- Patrick Khodorenko, 6'0" 206 lbs 

- Will Graber 6'5" 190 lbs. 

All would be better long term options. Was Madden going to take Gauds, Petey's or Horvats spot? 

• Huggy Bear 1

I am still curious about Kielly. He had uninspiring numbers in Kalamazoo. And he's only played 34 minutes with Utica. But has 1 goal against and a .917 save %. 

Extremely small sample size. But I'm wondering with more talent around him in Utica if he will play better. 

• Cheers 1

Those LDs sure are tempting and they've worked out well before. For some reason NCAA defencemen tend to do well, possibly because they've got a bit more experience than your average rookie. We're not as deep as we think on defence in the future. Rafferty and Juolevi look nice but we have no idea how their game will translate to the NHL.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Those LDs sure are tempting and they've worked out well before. For some reason NCAA defencemen tend to do well, possibly because they've got a bit more experience than your average rookie. We're not as deep as we think on defence in the future. Rafferty and Juolevi look nice but we have no idea how their game will translate to the NHL.

I'm worried about Juolevi. Rafferty and Woo might make the jump. Kielly has only played 34 minutes in Utica. Adding some depth might be a good idea.

As Teves seems to be struggling at the minor level right now, but he started out pretty decent in the year. 

On 3/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, Seeker1 said:

You can never have enough talented players in the system. Here, for your perusal, are  five undrafted NCAA free agents who are generating significant interest from NHL teams this spring:

Capfriendly says the Canucks have 47 of 50 contracts tied up. That should give them room to hopefully sign 1 NCAA prospect this spring if they can get the guy they want.

The Canucks have done very well with their NCAA undrafted signings.

On 3/6/2020 at 4:47 PM, cuporbust said:

We have plenty of possible open positions on the back end . Myers and Hughes are the only two that don't seem to be going anywhere soon. Everybody else is definitely open to be replaced. Tanev's is a UFA this summer,  edler the next.  

If they went for anyone off this list, their first choice would no doubt be one of the D.

I know some Canuck fans are ready to move on from Edler and/or Tanev but I just do not see the Canucks having players remotely ready to fill either of their roles.

Edler is the best D man the Canucks have ever had. He is a LD guy who is big, can hit, and can play big minutes in a very consistent role.

Tanev is the best defensive D man the Canucks have and is a warrior even though some fans slag him because of the games he missed in previous years (usually from blocking shots).

Q Hughes has obviously taken over the top offensive D man spot in his rookie year and can play heavy minutes when he has a really solid partner like Tanev. So we have 3 top 4 dman. 

Other than those three, we have Myers who is ok but was given a big contract for a number of years. Not sure how that will work out. He is a #4/5 guy.

We have Rafferty who seems to be doing well in the AHL as another offensive D just like Rathbone is filling that role in the NCAA. OJ is still an enigma. Tryamkin would be a good add on the 3rd pairing and we still have Stecher there who is solid in that role but not physically imposing.

I agree with you in that the Canucks should try to sign another NCAA promising D guy but do not agree that Edler or Tanev should be gone soon until the team knows what they have to take over those roles.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I know some Canuck fans are ready to move on from Edler and/or Tanev but I just do not see the Canucks having players remotely ready to fill either of their roles.

Edler is the best D man the Canucks have ever had. He is a LD guy who is big, can hit, and can play big minutes in a very consistent role.

Tanev is the best defensive D man the Canucks have and is a warrior even though some fans slag him because of the games he missed in previous years (usually from blocking shots).

Q Hughes has obviously taken over the top offensive D man spot in his rookie year and can play heavy minutes when he has a really solid partner like Tanev. So we have 3 top 4 dman. 

Other than those three, we have Myers who is ok but was given a big contract for a number of years. Not sure how that will work out. He is a #4/5 guy.

We have Rafferty who seems to be doing well in the AHL as another offensive D just like Rathbone is filling that role in the NCAA. OJ is still an enigma. Tryamkin would be a good add on the 3rd pairing and we still have Stecher there who is solid in that role but not physically imposing.

I agree with you in that the Canucks should try to sign another NCAA promising D guy but do not agree that Edler or Tanev should be gone soon until the team knows what they have to take over those roles.

I am saying both players, regardless of what they have been, are closer to the end then they are the beginning.  That has nothing to do with where either sits in Canucks history.  They are both having decent years , but don't think the Canucks are not planning for the next wave to replace them ( as they should be). 

• Cheers 2

On 3/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

How can a team walk away from Johnny Walker Jr.? :lol:

striding-history-cover-mobile.jpg

I wouldn’t mind giving him a shot. 

Oops, didn’t even intend to start punning yet. :lol:

But in all seriousness, Johnny Walker is a solid player with a fun backstory and a great name.

When he was a teenager, he weighed 230 lbs and was over 20% body fat. ASU offered him an opportunity, but only if he could cut some serious weight. Kid lost around 30 pounds over one summer and kept working hard at his training, and today he plays at a rather svelte 185 lbs and under 10% body fat. 

Walker is one of the top goalscorers in the NCAA over the past few years, with a good variety of high quality shots in his toolkit and a set of quick hands. He plays a very aggressive style, hard on the forecheck, pressuring defenders, and driving the net, but he can also snipe from distance. Plays with a lot of grit and loves to antagonize opponents, bringing a fairly refined pest game to his bag of tricks (he actually models his game after Brad Marchand).

One of those guys who’s hated by anyone he plays against, but that every one of his teammates just loves being around, on and off the ice. Brings a ton of energy to his team and keeps spirits high.

Here’s a good article on Walker from a couple years back:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/johnny-walker-arizona-state-style-grows-college-hockey-in-desert/1u2ywnl4xeina1qcj5b2307tq2

Like most of the “free prospects,” he’s a long shot to become an NHL player. But given his relative quality among the players this year’s UDFA class, coupled with his personality and story (and, of course, that name), I’d be quite happy to see the Canucks take a flyer on him. 

Most of all though, I like the possibilities of the having a Johnny Walker on the Canucks. The whole “Shotgun Jake” thing isn’t really my bag, but I would happily drain a nice glass of scotch every time this guy scores a goal (and I have a feeling @Alflives would join me ;)).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2