The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

Yeah sorry didn't factor in that 10 straight game winning streak without Marky to end the season, 4-5-1 in their last 10 games.  Now someone else will respond that the Canucks are not in a cap crunch and Benning is a genius because he drafted Hughes and Petey.  I don't care, all I need is time until I am proven right and even the 'Benning Bros' will be clamoring for his dismissal.  Now go measure the credibility of another CDC user^_^.

If you're going to throw out statements on the forum then be prepared to receive responses. That's how forums work. You can sit in your couch and predict all you want, but the actual fact of the matter is that no one knows whether we would have made the playoffs with the remaining games; same as no one know how many of Tofu, Tanev, and Marky we'll be able to keep. You can spew all your Benning hate you want, but it's all whiny conjecture. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Both players wanted out, as Francis had a fallout with Van Gundy in Houston. Despite McGrady and his injuries, he was still a 4x All-star and was named a 4x all NBA first team all-star with Houston. While Francis had one good season with Orlando until he got suspended and was dealt again to New York, where his stardom fizzled out.

Fair enough and Van Gundy has said his biggest regret was trying to change Francis too much. He was hard on him and Francis didn't take it well I guess. At the end of the day, who else was offering a NBA all star (even with his baggage) for a player that was known that wanted out? It's a tough situation to be in, but it's not like Weisbrod decided to trade Mcgrady for no reason, he had to and he did what he could to try and bring an all star back. And as I mentioned, he could've went with a safer pick in Okafor to worry about his team now, but he went with higher potential in Howard for long term vision (which goes in line with some picks that we have made that took some riskier moves for the long term gain). Plus despite this supposed poor trade, he was able to get the Magic 15 games better than the basement season prior to his arrival (even with TMac) before he left basketball to follow his dream of hockey because he "would trade 3 NBA championships for one Stanley Cup". The Magic felt he did a good job there and Weisbrod left on his own terms, not let go from being a poor GM.

Mcgrady may have had more individual achievements, but he didn't push that team any further.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

It appears to me like what changed is that Benning took over and instilled in the scouts what they should actually be looking for in terms of talent. I mean, what else explains how Brackett can go from picks like Schroeder and his other misses to all his hits? Oh, I guess Brackett's own words might explain it. 

I believe that Brackett was more a Linden guy than a Benning guy. Linden's interviews and his high praise for Brackett seems to indicate as much. Remember Linden was the President of hockey operations, he had a lot of say in who got assigned what roles in our staff. Now that he is gone, there seems to be reshuffling of the decks and it appears Brackett feels like his role and autonomy is being diluted.

29 minutes ago, Toews said:

I believe that Brackett was more a Linden guy than a Benning guy. Linden's interviews and his high praise for Brackett seems to indicate as much. Remember Linden was the President of hockey operations, he had a lot of say in who got assigned what roles in our staff. Now that he is gone, there seems to be reshuffling of the decks and it appears Brackett feels like his role and autonomy is being diluted.

I think you're right, same as how Cloutier was a Linden guy and Clarke a Benning guy. I also think that Benning wanted a rebuild early on in the beginning and Linden wanted more kicks at the cup with his buddies the Sedins. 

With Brackett, the term being thrown out lately is that it's a collaboration issue. So, is it Benning that doesn't want to collaborate or Brackett? It seems to me like it's the latter, since Benning merely wants more time to also see the players that Bracket and others identify. But I could be wrong. Maybe we will start hearing from other scouts with our team complaining about Benning being more involved with them?   

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

It appears to me like what changed is that Benning took over and instilled in the scouts what they should actually be looking for in terms of talent. I mean, what else explains how Brackett can go from picks like Schroeder and his other misses to all his hits? Oh, I guess Brackett's own words might explain it. 

This is just it. By all means Judd appears to be a good scout. One who likely got there at least partially by the instruction, training, direction etc of Benning (as well as his own smarts, ability to take on and integrate that instruction, hard work etc).

Him moving on would be unfortunate as it's good to retain good people but it's hardly some Shakespearean tragedy or the drama it's being made out to be. Benning is the GM and if he wants to run the team with him and his AGM having a good amount of input on scouting and has the approval of his boss for that plan, then that's the way it is.

Likewise, if Judd wants less oversight in his role, it's his prerogative to look for a team that's a better fit in that regard with a management team that's less involved in scouting.

There's no soap opera here. There's a simple structure difference with an employee who likely (and perhaps justifiably) wants a somewhat bigger role than what's available here. That's it.

This happens when you have success. You impart success to employees and they in turn sometimes move on to other/bigger opportunities.

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to turn that pretty common and mundane molehill, in to some grand, dramatic soap opera mountain.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I think you're right, same as how Cloutier was a Linden guy and Clarke a Benning guy. I also think that Benning wanted a rebuild early on in the beginning and Linden wanted more kicks at the cup with his buddies the Sedins. 

With Brackett, the term being thrown out lately is that it's a collaboration issue. So, is it Benning that doesn't want to collaborate or Brackett? It seems to me like it's the latter, since Benning merely wants more time to also see the players that Bracket and others identify. But I could be wrong. Maybe we will start hearing from other scouts with our team complaining about Benning being more involved with them?   

I can't say I agree. Linden and Benning were hired with a mandate set from ownership. Regardless of their personal feelings about rebuilding they had to toe the party line of making the playoffs while getting younger. This was why they avoided any mention of the word "rebuild" because it would be contradicting their mandate. Do you remember those town hall meetings with Benning and Linden? One of the reasons they turned unbearable and had to be cancelled because of fans questioning the team's stated goals vs. actions. Everyone at that time knew this team desperately needed to rebuild. If you go back to that time you will see plenty of threads made about what assets we had and what they would fetch in trades. We did have some valuable pieces at the time but they were squandered because ownership perhaps thought rebuilding may not have been the best option fiscally at the time. 

Personally whatever the case I hope we can keep the group together. Anyway I look at it, Brackett was a key member of our management team that had considerable success at the draft. I don't feel like it should be tinkered with, if I had to pick the weakest link of the bunch it would probably be Weisbrod

25 minutes ago, Toews said:

Let's break this down a bit if this is all said and true. Now this is just me trying to connect the dots, but who knows if it's true or not.

Brackett is named director of amateur scouting in August 2015. The 2015 draft, we did pick up Boeser and Gaudette (who were potentially influenced by Brackett to select them and thus earned the promotion after the scouting staff was called out for missing Pastrnak in 2014). The 2016 nhl draft was one of our weaker drafts which includes the infamous Olli pick. So supposedly he had more autonomy during this time (yet Benning is the only one called out here).

The 2017 draft, we nab Petey (in which DeLorme is praised for being adamant about, but of course our Swede scout Inge Hammarstrom initially brought him to our attention). Benning was beaming over him on the draft floor, so he completely bought into this pick. "Why hasn't anyone taken Kole Lind?" is infamous and thus quite clear to be someone that Benning liked. Not much info on Gadjovich. It can be noted for DiPietro that I believe Brackett mentioned in a later video that he likes picking goalies late as they have more time to develop and especially through the college system (when we took Thiessen in the following draft and his now amusing GAA from last season), so hard to say if Brackett was on board with taking DiPietro in the 3rd round (where Benning has been noted to comment on whether they should take a goalie in earlier rounds). We did get Rathbone and because of Brackett's collegiate background, he gets credited for this pick. However, I did mention in an earlier post that Weisbrod also has connections in the collegiate circles and he had drafted a player from Dexter High School when he was in Calgary, which is conveniently where Rathbone was from as well, food for thought.

In 2018, Linden leaves after the draft, but have to imagine that things were in flux prior to that point already. We nabbed Hughes and Woo, who the draft floor team were all excited about. Tyler Madden looked to be a surefire Brackett pick and was pushing hard for him while Benning looked to trade down from that pick to add more picks. We of course trade Madden and that could be the breaking point for Brackett. Don't know who's involved with the Utunen pick. Brackett is shown to push for taking on the overaged mighty mouse Manyukan because he saw him in world junior (very similar to the Palmu pick, where also Gadjovich played, connection here?). And of course the aforementioned Thiessen pick.

So by 2019, Brackett must've felt his duties have been diluted already over this time. The rumour about us changing our draft board prior to the Hoglander pick suggests that maybe he was more of a Benning pick.

Most admit that our drafting has gotten better over time. Is it a coincidence that it has gotten better with Benning supposedly "diluting" Brackett's role? Brackett may have a decent track record in college at least if it's true that Boeser and Gaudette were brought up by him and Madden was a good pick, good enough to bring in one of the top TDL players. But how is his track record as a whole beyond that considering he was the director of amateur scouting and not simply a collegiate scout? We will never know who pushed for who (most picks likely came to a consensus rather than one guy stiff arming another although Benning got the final call), so this is all speculation. Where Brackett is strong in, we do have that experience from Weisbrod in that same area (IMO he played a part in getting Gaudreau to Calgary, even though he was hired like two or three days after the draft as an AGM). So we won't know how things will play out in the future, but I don't think we will be crippled losing Brackett.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

IMG_20200507_173644.jpg

this giant tweet hits it on the head. 

Benning was the guy that brought in an actual scouting system. Alignment of scouting goals was a major factor in the drafting success since JB took over as GM.

There's no black hat / white hat scenario here, if its really a rift its over reporting style. I'm sure everyone will move on as professionals, other than our media, some no-names on twitter and of course the usual Benning haters. 

• Cheers 4

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is just it. By all means Judd appears to be a good scout. One who likely got there at least partially by the instruction, training, direction etc of Benning (as well as his own smarts, ability to take on and integrate that instruction, hard work etc).

Him moving on would be unfortunate as it's good to retain good people but it's hardly some Shakespearean tragedy or the drama it's being made out to be. Benning is the GM and if he wants to run the team with him and his AGM having a good amount of input on scouting and has the approval of his boss for that plan, then that's the way it is.

Likewise, if Judd wants less oversight in his role, it's his prerogative to look for a team that's a better fit in that regard with a management team that's less involved in scouting.

There's no soap opera here. There's a simple structure difference with an employee who likely (and perhaps justifiably) wants a somewhat bigger role than what's available here. That's it.

This happens when you have success. You impart success to employees and they in turn sometimes move on to other/bigger opportunities.

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to turn that pretty common and mundane molehill, in to some grand, dramatic soap opera mountain.

It's possible that many fans have never worked in a professional role before and simply lack the understanding of professional growth and moving up/on to other positions/organizations. I digress.

But I can't agree with you more, there really isn't a tragedy going on here. People act as if Brackett is a scouting god, but he has even publicly said that scouts now scout for the types of players Benning wants, so to think that Brackett can go from misses under Gillis to hits under Benning and no one else can fill his position, if he does leave, is simply clouded by being a Benning basher. Sure, he'll be missed, but he isn't irreplaceable. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this giant tweet hits it on the head. 

Benning was the guy that brought in an actual scouting system. Alignment of scouting goals was a major factor in the drafting success since JB took over as GM.

There's no black hat / white hat scenario here, if its really a rift its over reporting style. I'm sure everyone will move on as professionals, other than our media, some no-names on twitter and of course the usual Benning haters. 

I'm almost always on my phone while on CDC but currently am using my laptop, and now I can see how big those tweets are, ha! Maybe it's a good thing so that all the haters can't miss it? :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm almost always on my phone while on CDC but currently am using my laptop, and now I can see how big those tweets are, ha! Maybe it's a good thing so that all the haters can't miss it? :)

can you make it scream the tweet too? 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Let's break this down a bit if this is all said and true. Now this is just me trying to connect the dots, but who knows if it's true or not.

Brackett is named director of amateur scouting in August 2015. The 2015 draft, we did pick up Boeser and Gaudette (who were potentially influenced by Brackett to select them and thus earned the promotion after the scouting staff was called out for missing Pastrnak in 2014). The 2016 nhl draft was one of our weaker drafts which includes the infamous Olli pick. So supposedly he had more autonomy during this time (yet Benning is the only one called out here).

The 2017 draft, we nab Petey (in which DeLorme is praised for being adamant about, but of course our Swede scout Inge Hammarstrom initially brought him to our attention). Benning was beaming over him on the draft floor, so he completely bought into this pick. "Why hasn't anyone taken Kole Lind?" is infamous and thus quite clear to be someone that Benning liked. Not much info on Gadjovich. It can be noted for DiPietro that I believe Brackett mentioned in a later video that he likes picking goalies late as they have more time to develop and especially through the college system (when we took Thiessen in the following draft and his now amusing GAA from last season), so hard to say if Brackett was on board with taking DiPietro in the 3rd round (where Benning has been noted to comment on whether they should take a goalie in earlier rounds). We did get Rathbone and because of Brackett's collegiate background, he gets credited for this pick. However, I did mention in an earlier post that Weisbrod also has connections in the collegiate circles and he had drafted a player from Dexter High School when he was in Calgary, which is conveniently where Rathbone was from as well, food for thought.

In 2018, Linden leaves after the draft, but have to imagine that things were in flux prior to that point already. We nabbed Hughes and Woo, who the draft floor team were all excited about. Tyler Madden looked to be a surefire Brackett pick and was pushing hard for him while Benning looked to trade down from that pick to add more picks. We of course trade Madden and that could be the breaking point for Brackett. Don't know who's involved with the Utunen pick. Brackett is shown to push for taking on the overaged mighty mouse Manyukan because he saw him in world junior (very similar to the Palmu pick, where also Gadjovich played, connection here?). And of course the aforementioned Thiessen pick.

So by 2019, Brackett must've felt his duties have been diluted already over this time. The rumour about us changing our draft board prior to the Hoglander pick suggests that maybe he was more of a Benning pick.

Most admit that our drafting has gotten better over time. Is it a coincidence that it has gotten better with Benning supposedly "diluting" Brackett's role? Brackett may have a decent track record in college at least if it's true that Boeser and Gaudette were brought up by him and Madden was a good pick, good enough to bring in one of the top TDL players. But how is his track record as a whole beyond that considering he was the director of amateur scouting and not simply a collegiate scout? We will never know who pushed for who (most picks likely came to a consensus rather than one guy stiff arming another although Benning got the final call), so this is all speculation. Where Brackett is strong in, we do have that experience from Weisbrod in that same area (IMO he played a part in getting Gaudreau to Calgary, even though he was hired like two or three days after the draft as an AGM). So we won't know how things will play out in the future, but I don't think we will be crippled losing Brackett.

I don't believe that the Juolevi pick should be held against anybody. No one could have predicted the injuries he would suffer. Keep in mind that the Canucks had regarded PLD very highly at the time but the Jackets took him and it looks like an excellent pick. We were sorely in need for centers & defenseman. Scouting is a collaborative effort, its the staff that is tasked with coming up with the draft board. GMs do get a ton of say with top picks but lower picks are usually just taken off the board. GMs shouldn't be investing too much time in scouting as they have other duties to fulfill as well. A GM has to delegate and trust scouts to do their job as they will be the eyes and ears of the process. 

To me Linden's words about Brackett hold significance, it seems to indicate to me that he has an excellent eye and replacing him will be a tough challenge.