The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

Janis here the funny thing while you point out people come and go and as a rule things never chnage ie there some natural order to the business. But then you say Benning came around the changed every thing up. Which is it :rolleyes:

Theo comments and research looks good to me although Vilardi looks questionable in the AHL and the latest high pick and the top player in Ontario is a FA signing, maybe like Bouchard in Utica. Vcr rank 8th in that assessment, soooooo, Vcr did pretty well to by that account. We did trade away Madden and when they make no mention of Rathbone it does send up a red flag ( JB stated himself that every GM is asking about the availabity of Rathbone) but the author chooses to dismiss him ?

All interestingdate August last year

Here's the irony of all this. One segment of fans  wish to hand the accolades to Benning for the drafting in Vcr and in the same breath want to by-pass Rob Blake and hand the accolades to  Futa for LA success. I'd think that while it is apparent that Brackett will be on the market soon maybe, just maybe, other organization want to be in the mix for his hire, although on second thoughts why bother if it's always the GM that does the scouting :lol:  

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Janis here the funny thing while you point out people come and go and as a rule things never chnage ie there some natural order to the business. But then you say Benning came around the changed every thing up. Which is it :rolleyes:

Theo comments and research looks good to me although Vilardi looks questionable in the AHL and the latest high pick and the top player in Ontario is a FA signing, maybe like Bouchard in Utica. Vcr rank 8th in that assessment, soooooo, Vcr did pretty well to by that account. We did trade away Madden and when they make no mention of Rathbone it does send up a red flag ( JB stated himself that every GM is asking about the availabity of Rathbone) but the author chooses to dismiss him ?

All interestingdate August last year

Here's the irony of all this. One segment of fans  wish to had the accolades to Benning for the drafting in Vcr and in the same breath want to by-pass Rob Blake and hand the accolades to  Futa for LA success. I'd think that while it is apparent that Brackett will be on the market soon maybe, just maybe, other organization want to be in the mix for his hire, although on second thoughts why bother if it's always the GM that does the scouting :lol:  

Benning was a scout prior to him moving up the rankings. He is noted to be involved in the scouting/drafting aspect and takes great pride in this field. Rob Blake, on the other hand, doesn't have that pedigree. Good on Blake for making the final call on those guys, but it is much more feasible that he truly lets his director of amateur scouting do the leg work (something that Brackett may want). If Futa or whoever wants to actually work with Benning and crew, then that person will be more suited for the role here. Besides I never said Futa was solely responsible for those picks, but just that those were the picks during his time as the director and they won two Cups with a lot of the team built from players that they have drafted and groomed.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Benning was a scout prior to him moving up the rankings. He is noted to be involved in the scouting/drafting aspect and takes great pride in this field. Rob Blake, on the other hand, doesn't have that pedigree. Good on Blake for making the final call on those guys, but it is much more feasible that he truly lets his director of amateur scouting do the leg work (something that Brackett may want). If Futa or whoever wants to actually work with Benning and crew, then that person will be more suited for the role here. Besides I never said Futa was solely responsible for those picks, but just that those were the picks during his time as the director and they won two Cups with a lot of the team built from players that they have drafted and groomed.

Wow what I thought was impossible now seems like the "norm" both direction simultaneously :)

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Wow what I thought was impossible now seems like the "norm" both direction simultaneously :)

Wouldn't it be funny if you were both Fred65 and theo5789

I mean, it would make sense with your last hint. :frantic:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Wouldn't it be funny if you were both Fred65 and theo5789

I mean, it would make sense with your last hint. :frantic:

.... Conspiracy theories breeding Conspiracy theories...

..it’s like like showing up for a game of “Naked Twister” with 5 gallons of  Mazola Oil..

things are getting out of control.   ;)

Drum Kit Party GIF by Owain Wyn Evans

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

.... Conspiracy theories breeding Conspiracy theories...

..it’s like like showing up for a game of “Naked Twister” with 5 gallons of  Mazola Oil..

things are getting out of control.   ;)

Drum Kit Party GIF by Owain Wyn Evans

if I wear a mask is it considered social distancing? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if I wear a mask is it considered social distancing? 

Yes Jimmy,.   But you only get one due to availability,..  it’s up to you where or how you use it for protection..  there will be a microwave in the kitchen available to sterilize and Re-use the old one.    BYOB.  :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

A good GM listens to all his scouts and gets input from everyone. Which Benning has done.

Seems like the story line right now it’s that all the Canucks poor picks were solely Benning and all the good ones were Brackett. Just laughable really.

Theyre also only analyzing picks in the first round which should be the easier ones to make. The fact is Benning has also done a very good job in getting talent in the second round and beyond.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A good GM listens to all his scouts and gets input from everyone. Which Benning has done.

Seems like the story line right now it’s that all the Canucks poor picks were solely Benning and all the good ones were Brackett. Just laughable really.

Theyre also only analyzing picks in the first round which should be the easier ones to make. The fact is Benning has also done a very good job in getting talent in the second round and beyond.

that all changed when Linden left, he allowed the scout to have a voice, once he was gone Benning and Weisbrouh did not listen. Confirmed by Sekeres

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

that all changed when Linden left, he allowed the scout to have a voice, once he was gone Benning and Weisbrouh did not listen. Confirmed by Sekeres

So if that all changed when Linden left that means he gets credit for the Hughes and Podkolzin picks. Along with Hoglander, Woo, and Madden.

Cant spin it both ways.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes it has already been confirmed by Benning himself that it was Delorme that pushed them to look closer at Pettersson.

That won’t stop the media’s narrative that Brackett is responsible for every great pick we’ve made though.

You are probably giving Delorme too much credit as well. There is a difference between saying, "Hey look at this kid, he's got some skills." and saying "This is the guy that should be at the top of our draft board". Petey was making a name for himself in Allsvenskan, it doesn't matter who first spotted him first. This isn't Edler who was playing in some remote hockey town in god knows where, when Gradin found him. From everything I have read the Canucks had Makar and Pettersson at the top of their draft board. That shows that our scouts were doing their job and even if Petey was gone we would have selected a very good player.