The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - COVID 19 edition

Rate this topic

Kragar

3 hours ago, otherwise said:

:wub::wub::wub:  Glad you could find some things you liked. I know it's punk heavy (and more scream-y) and that it's probably not to most people's tastes, so I really appreciate you listening to it 3x and finding things that were okay in all the songs.  Also really impressive to read about all artists, even when you aren't really liking their sound.:wub:

Ah it was you. Couldn't remember what you liked at all been too long :P

• Cheers 1

Well, I think there are only two reviews left, the one @Zfetch started, and mine.  Since I doubt there would be much confusion about whose is whose now (I think all the other guesses have been made?), and I further doubt there would be much confusion between my list and @Alain Vigneault's below, so I'll give my review now.

Thundercat, Fair Chance:  Not my typical style for the most part (modern R&B, with a little rap... or is it the other way around?), but I enjoyed this pretty well.  Autotune wasn’t abused, which would drive me nuts.  Love the music behind the vocals.  Works for me.  7.5/10

Magic Gang, What Have I Got to Lose: brings me back to some 80’s new wave/pop.  Fun song, although the guitar in the chorus was a little too jangly for it, IMO.  7/10

Only Shallow, My Bloody Valentine.  I didn’t like this song as much, but it would be something I could listen to back when I was younger, at home, in the dark, drinking rye whiskey (which I don’t like, so save it for when I’m really angry), lamenting over how crappy life appeared to be.  Ahh, the life of an angsty guy in his twenties (or even thirties?)  So, it has a place, and I think it fits well enough here.  5/10 for my personal taste, but let's give it a 3 point boost  to 8/10 for theme atmosphere

Skepta, Mains: Soft counterpart to the harsher previous song, but just not my style.  Far from the worst rap song I’ve heard, so I’ll give it a 5. 

Max Pope, Gone to Count Sheep: Not bad.  Again, probably not something I would normally listen to, but again if I was back in my youth, drinking alone, this song would fit well after My Bloody Valentine.  Definitely softens the blow of the earlier two songs.  When I heard the opening guitar, my mind went straight to Crowded House, Don’t Dream It’s Over.  Even though I am older now, I could still listen to this once in a while.  6/10

Loyle Carner, Still: More rap, but again a nice mellow tune, and the vocals are even mellower.  Wonder if the mellowness reflects the boredom many of us are experiencing after the initial shock of this mess.  6/10

Flight Facilities, Crave You: cool tune, again outside my normal styles.  Bit of a lounge act feel.  Great background music for a small party, and sounding even better now that I am playing it on my computer's decent speakers and sub.  Hearing this on stereo makes me think there is something in the corner of the room, over my shoulder, clicking away :) .  nice positive vibe to wrap things up.  8/10

All in all, a decent list.  Perhaps even a great one, if I remove my bias due to there not being a broad overlap between the list and my typical listening choices.  Songs flowed pretty well between them, and I feel better for having listened to it.  If the list has anything to do with how you are handling things, seems to me you are bored, but not about to kill anyone, and are just taking it easy as best you can.  You’re more upbeat than the average Covid shut-in.  Hope I’m reading you right B)

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 1
On 4/9/2020 at 6:13 PM, AV's Coin said:

Had some time to kill and had an idea for a playlist based on a song a friend was listening to NIN - Everyday is Exactly the Same

Hope you enjoy!

(Its a playlist so should just play through all the songs)

This was fun, thanks!  The first video wouldn't play for me (blocked in the US?), but found another version.  I enjoy electronic music well enough, but am far from an afficionado.  Had never heard of grimes before.

All in all, pretty cool.  Not a big Muse fan, but you clearly were inspired by the times.  Music flowed pretty well, and was topical.

Peggy Lee was a fun touch!

On 4/8/2020 at 3:59 PM, Ceres said:

I'll try to get to it. I honestly didn't enjoy mine much, making it harder to write a review. And I'm further discouraged by the lazy review my mix received. Just like the last few times. 

Dude, if you didn't like the review your mix received, just talk to @Baer. ….Imma right? 

• Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1
On 4/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, otherwise said:

animal collective-in the flowers

it's like calming music they would play at a spa meets a haunted house/fairground music on the ride set it the 90s.

7/10

Beach house- lemon grass

it's got a poppy bop to it, but electro? idk has a "we tried to make a 90s song in the 2010s" vibe. I don't like the high pitched noise in the beat

6/10

dan deacon- become a mountain

I like the piano, I don't like when he whisper sings

6/10

the voidz- leave it in my dreams

sounds like an 90s band/ or song but I can't think of what it is. it's the clean guitar ....I think it sounds melodically like weezer-y.. in places...

7/10

Melody's Echo Chamber- some time alone, alone

sounds like a 2020s version of a 90s version of a 60s pop song with a british  psychedelic influence.

6/10

candy claws- fell in love (at the water)

in places sounds like a disturbed/haunted merry-go-round soundtrack like just before a bad guy jumps out and stabs everyone in a horror movie.

4/10

spiritualized-stay with me

much more zen to start out with...okay it's pretty zen the whole way.

5/10

portished-the rip

pretty chill

5/10

mgmt-when you die

kinda weird.

5/10

6.5/10 overall a good mix, I don't really listen to songs like this but it wasn't terrible.

I guess spoderman.

@Ceres?

50 minutes ago, Ceres said:

My next mix will just alternate between Kero Kero Benito and Death Grips. 

For real though, I don't think these exchanges are for me. :lol:

Awwww, c'mon, we don't want you to take your ball of music and go home. :)

Even if I don't wanna listen to all of it, there's usually some in your lists worth checking out.  And I'm too fussy for my own good.

IIRC, I liked yours better than @Baer. 's ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Ceres said:

100% unrecognizable bands? Why of course that's me. 

5 hours ago, Ceres said:

My next mix will just alternate between Kero Kero Benito and Death Grips. 

For real though, I don't think these exchanges are for me. :lol:

Nah, no quitting.

Do you remember when I got your mix? 

Anyways, I found it inspiring - I put on the soundtrack to Fantasia and told the kids to start moving furniture around while I load the dishwasher.

It was magical

• Haha 1
On 4/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, Kragar said:

This was fun, thanks!  The first video wouldn't play for me (blocked in the US?), but found another version.  I enjoy electronic music well enough, but am far from an afficionado.  Had never heard of grimes before.

All in all, pretty cool.  Not a big Muse fan, but you clearly were inspired by the times.  Music flowed pretty well, and was topical.

Peggy Lee was a fun touch!

Thanks for the listen! Its a little long too hahaha

But I have been listening to the playlist as I do my renovation so it works out good for me.

I would not say I listen to Muse a lot. Although I might start.... that song hysteria is giving me the chills right around the 2:45 mark. So much tension in the song before that.

Yes I added Peggy Lee for some fun as the theme of the playlist is quite dark even though not all the songs feel that way.

Edited by AV's Coin
10 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Thanks for the listen! Its a little long too hahaha

But I have been listening to the playlist as I do my renovation so it works out good for me.

I would not say I listen to Muse a lot. Although I might start.... that song hysteria is giving me the chills right around the 2:45 mark. So much tension in the song before that.

Yes I added Peggy Lee for some fun as the theme of the playlist is quite dark even though not all the songs feel that way.

Well, since you didn't submit at the start, I guess you can't be punished for it being too long.  And yeah, you need some good tunes while you work.  Good luck with that!

My stepson and his wife really like Hysteria.  It's on Rock Band which we used to play a lot as a family. Until your list came a long, that was my only exposure to the song.