The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Capitals: Brendan Leipsic's Instagram messages are 'unacceptable and offensive'

Rate this topic

really apollo your mad at the guy that screenshot  this douche bags  pms  he deserved to be called out on his bs. Leipsic should be suspended from nhl for conduct unbecoming  and substance abuse with the blow. The part of the guys going hunting is wack   sounds predatory towards women. I doubt he will play another game in nhl he just screwed his career over. No need towaste any more energy on a crappy ex canuck that was barely here for long anyway. Pretty sure the character in room with petey boeser virtanen will get us that cup we all want. No need for cancers in the room like hodgson, mcann, fedor fedorov, leipsic. It is what it is.

Edited by canuktravella
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Kane said:

IF you seriously claim you know people that never do this, perhaps they are aware that you are sensitive to such subjects and keep it private from you

One of my brother’s is like this. This is why at Thanksgiving and Christmas, he’s not invited to the adult table and has to sit with the children, at the Kiddie Table.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

I thought the comments were rude and insensitive. The comment that I thought was the worst is his racial comment. The one on Virtanen was more of a funny jab than anything. Overall if I had to choose as a GM I wouldn’t want this guy on my team. Him taking shots at former teammates and there wives in unacceptable in a locker room. I hope he’s outta the league!

• Thanks 1

Just now, The 5th Line said:

The comments made him look like a POS 100% .  But, with context involved in a private chat with close friends, I wouldn't overreact too much.  

I bet Tanner Pearson is none too happy about  the comments about his wife. and McDavid also. Leipsic is nothing but a sicko. the Capitals will not be happy about what he said about the team. Leipsic's own younger brother was just kicked off his team for being apart of this crap. 

21 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this.  It's unfortunate his private convo was leaked, maybe him and his friends have a sick sense of humor and lately it's gotten out of hand? 

Is Alex Burrows a sicko for what he said on the ice?  Not to mention, refused to apologize.

“Personally, I don’t really think I crossed the line,” Burrows said after the Vancouver Canucks’ morning skate on Tuesday. “What I said I have been told the same in the past and have heard it plenty of times throughout my career.

“So I kind of wished it had stayed on the ice where I think it belongs. For me, I am just moving on and getting ready for tonight’s game.”

Notice how Alex says, I wish it stayed on the ice where I think it belongs, kind of like how Brendan wished his comments stayed private like they belong?

If Brendan is a POS then so is Alex.I would say that neither of them are because their is a serious lack of real evidence to support it

@Western Red I am a bit of a contrarian aren't I?  I'm against the grain of most posters here, a lot of the time, not on purpose I swear. 

I'm not saying the exact comments he used aren't hurtful or offensive, but it's all about context.  I don't know what him and his friends are like behind closed doors.  There are a lot of really good dudes out there who have quite the potty mouth, Alex Burrows being one of them.  Don't you have friends who say some pretty vulgar stuff sometimes but at the end of the day you know they're a good person? 

and if Alex Burrows said the same things today  while in the NHL  he would be  reprimanded. years ago when he played a lot of players were chirping , but Today Leipsic went too far.  and it doesn't matter whether it was leaked , he is not a little boy , he is supposed to be a man and if he ever happens to marry , I  wonder if he would be  offended  if someone said something nasty about his wife, of would he be one of those " boys will be boys"

20 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How many men do you actually hang out with on a day-to-day basis?  Do you actually know how most men talk when there are no women around?   Hate to break it to ya...but...it ain't pretty sometimes..

It's different in todays world because everyone wants to be a hero on social media.  Brendans life is over because the Twitter users will never let it die because they smell blood.  Everybody loves an easy target 

"Most men"?

Don't think because you and your friends do this that "most men" do.  Not to this degree of cruelty and vulgarity, no.  These aren't men that talk like this..they're boys.  Grown men know about respect, empathy and manners.  Sure, there are guys who like to impress other guys with this crap.  But if you feel it's common place I'd say you need to change your social circles.  If it's all guys and this is what they/you do.  

Guys I know like to actually hang out with women, not degrade them.

Brendan's life isn't "over"....a little dramatic there . And the "because" is "him", not anyone else.  He did this.  Accountability.

Speaking of easy targets...odd that you defend the Leisic Clown Posse when they aim for them (the easy targets).  A bit of a double standard there.  He picked on girls...what easier target?  And behind backs is cowardly...do it to someone's face.  Then they, at least, can respond.  Wonder if he's told Tanner or Jake how he really feels?  Bet he hasn't.

Maybe go outside and get some fresh air and let others talk for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Imagine if stuff Alex Burrows did got leaked.

Probably would have more people defending him because he's a Canuck legend, and not a NHL tweener.

Probably 10x worse then this. Especially with the Patrick O'Sullivan bullying and the comments of David Backes's wife that are publicly known, can only imagine what was done in private.

My point is, private conversations should NOT be leaked. It is totally unfair to Leipsic, despite his horrible comments. But he will now have to pay the consequences.

Probably isn't "is/did".  So this is complete garbage.  

He didn't.

Leipsic DID.

There's a difference.

There's also a difference in trash talking AT one another where you can defend yourself/your stance.  Versus sneaking little cowards who get together, get high then lash out at the world.  Because they don't have the .... wherewithall to do it for real/in person.  It's quite juvenile and anyone defending it likely participates in my view.  Sad.  

This isn't about Burrows...he's paid his dues.  But good deflection...which means your argument isn't strong enough to stand alone.  Let's make it about someone else.  Maybe Patrick Kane would have been a better example.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Do you spend more time around men than I do?  I played hockey for 20 years, worked on a construction site for 8, plenty of social gatherings with a case of beer at hand, golf courses, stag parties etc etc

Deborah yesterday you said "the world was talking about it".  So who's being dramatic?  

And don't tell me to go outside, I'm the one pushing Vitamin D on everyone.  I'm getting plenty of it 

I don't know if this is something to brag about?  That you spend more time around men?  I was married for a long time and that probably qualifies me.  To a hockey player and I score kept at 8 rinks.  Played pool and poker with the guys (was good too).  I was a tomboy...we water skiied. Drank together.  Dirt biked.  I hung out with all guys mostly because it was his group of friends.  

So maybe that's just it...the guys I know actually spent time around women so know how to be respectful toward them?  Might change friends and incorporate some females in to the mix.  I'm sensing a whole lot of misogyny and it isn't cool.    And quit with the Deborah crap.

What even are you referring to about yesterday?  Move on.  New day.  I don't even remember yesterday so whatever gripe you're carrying over?  Let it go.

Your comment that his "life is over" is really poorly timed as people in the world today are facing that for real.  So yes - dramatic.  Is he on a ventilator?  Nope.  Is he fighting for his life?  Nope.

This poor baby shot his mouth off and will have to face the consequences.   Waa.  Most men I know would say quit whining and take your licks.   Life goes on.

Back outside for me...this is painful in here.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bree2 said:

and if Alex Burrows said the same things today  while in the NHL  he would be  reprimanded. years ago when he played a lot of players were chirping , but Today Leipsic went too far.  and it doesn't matter whether it was leaked , he is not a little boy , he is supposed to be a man and if he ever happens to marry , I  wonder if he would be  offended  if someone said something nasty about his wife, of would he be one of those " boys will be boys"

I think with the Burrows chirps (Tootoo and O’Sullivan), the league did investigate, it was handled internally, they didn’t find cause for further action (fine, suspension, etc), Burrows apologized publicly, and he did take a fair amount of heat in the press and on social media. 

I’d say that even the worst of what Burrows said on-ice (which probably the “I’m gonna beat you like your daddy” comment he allegedly said to abuse surviver O’Sullivan), as bad as it was, probably doesn’t rise to quite the same levels as what I’ve read in full 55 pages of DM’s from Leipsic.

Also, with Burr, we’re talking about a couple on-ice instances spread over years of playing. Of course, he’s chirped hundreds of other times, and probably crossed the line many more times than have been reported, but it’s not like there’s a tape out there of Burrows saying vile things dozens of times on the ice.

There are screen captures out there of Leipsic’s comments, and that makes it much more damaging for the league’s reputation.

Also there’s a difference between saying crap to a guy’s face, during a competitive sport, to try to gain and edge and take an opponent off their game, versus getting together with “your boys” and just saying vile **** to get your jollies. In my mind, the latter is much worse.

Not excusing Burrows. He crossed the line (especially with what’s alleged by O’Sullivan), but he did pay a price, in terms of his reputation. He apologized. And the league looked at it and decided there wasn’t grounds for action/discipline.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Most men"?

Don't think because you and your friends do this that "most men" do.  Not to this degree of cruelty and vulgarity, no.  These aren't men that talk like this..they're boys.  Grown men know about respect, empathy and manners.  Sure, there are guys who like to impress other guys with this crap.  But if you feel it's common place I'd say you need to change your social circles.  If it's all guys and this is what they/you do.  

Guys I know like to actually hang out with women, not degrade them.

Brendan's life isn't "over"....a little dramatic there . And the "because" is "him", not anyone else.  He did this.  Accountability.

Speaking of easy targets...odd that you defend the Leisic Clown Posse when they aim for them (the easy targets).  A bit of a double standard there.  He picked on girls...what easier target?  And behind backs is cowardly...do it to someone's face.  Then they, at least, can respond.  Wonder if he's told Tanner or Jake how he really feels?  Bet he hasn't.

Maybe go outside and get some fresh air and let others talk for awhile.

I think there will be people forming conclusions that may not be representative of the person that Brendan might be. There will be people reminding him about the stuff that he says till the day he dies because that's the way social media works. Its all about tearing someone down by using their perceived weaknesses against them. Cancel culture isn't a left problem, it is a people problem. We love to use whatever ammo we have to pick at people. We love to form our own conclusions based on limited evidence. We have all said horrible stuff to each other, those who haven't are born saints, others have to work through stuff in life to gain maturity. "Accountability" is frequently used as justification for any cruel and unusual punishment.  

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think with the Burrows chirps (Tootoo and O’Sullivan), the league did investigate, it was handled internally, they didn’t find cause for further action (fine, suspension, etc), Burrows apologized publicly, and he did take a fair amount of heat in the press and on social media. 

I’d say that even the worst of what Burrows said on-ice (which probably the “I’m gonna beat you like your daddy” comment he allegedly said to abuse surviver O’Sullivan), as bad as it was, probably doesn’t rise to quite the same levels as what I’ve read in full 55 pages of DM’s from Leipsic.

Also, with Burr, we’re talking about a couple on-ice instances spread over years of playing. Of course, he’s chirped hundreds of other times, and probably crossed the line many more times than have been reported, but it’s not like there’s a tape out there of Burrows saying vile things dozens of times on the ice.

There are screen captures out there of Leipsic’s comments, and that makes it much more damaging for the league’s reputation.

Also there’s a difference between saying crap to a guy’s face, during a competitive sport, to try to gain and edge and take an opponent off their game, versus getting together with “your boys” and just saying vile **** to get your jollies. In my mind, the latter is much worse.

Not excusing Burrows. He crossed the line (especially with what’s alleged by O’Sullivan), but he did pay a price, in terms of his reputation. He apologized. And the league looked at it and decided there wasn’t grounds for action/discipline.

One difference....Burrows may have crossed the line but he had the guts to do it in person.  To then deal with the aftermath.

The other stuff is cowardly.

2 minutes ago, Toews said:

I think there will be people forming conclusions that may not be representative of the person that Brendan might be. There will be people reminding him about the stuff that he says till the day he dies because that's the way social media works. Its all about tearing someone down by using their perceived weaknesses against them. Cancel culture isn't a left problem, it is a people problem. We love to use whatever ammo we have to pick at people. We love to form our own conclusions based on limited evidence. We have all said horrible stuff to each other, those who haven't are born saints, others have to work through stuff in life to gain maturity. "Accountability" is frequently used as justification for any cruel and unusual punishment.  

Well then it's up to him to prove to the world that he's NOT that person.

That's his doing, not ours.

Quite frankly, after he's faded out I won't give him a second thought.  I don't think anyone will...just disappear and live a better life that means you learned from your mistakes.  Not in the limelight...you blew that one.

He used ammo to pick at people first.  I guess it's true - you reap what you sow.  I don't believe in a witch hunt...but I have zero sympathy for him.  This'll fizzle out as fast as his career did.  Nothing much to see here in no time.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of this.  It's unfortunate his private convo was leaked, maybe him and his friends have a sick sense of humor and lately it's gotten out of hand? 

Is Alex Burrows a sicko for what he said on the ice?  Not to mention, refused to apologize.

“Personally, I don’t really think I crossed the line,” Burrows said after the Vancouver Canucks’ morning skate on Tuesday. “What I said I have been told the same in the past and have heard it plenty of times throughout my career.

“So I kind of wished it had stayed on the ice where I think it belongs. For me, I am just moving on and getting ready for tonight’s game.”

Notice how Alex says, I wish it stayed on the ice where I think it belongs, kind of like how Brendan wished his comments stayed private like they belong?

If Brendan is a POS then so is Alex.I would say that neither of them are because their is a serious lack of real evidence to support it

@Western Red I am a bit of a contrarian aren't I?  I'm against the grain of most posters here a lot of the time, not on purpose I swear. 

I'm not saying the exact comments he used aren't hurtful or offensive, but it's all about context.  I don't know what him and his friends are like behind closed doors.  There are a lot of really good dudes out there who have quite the potty mouth, Alex Burrows being one of them.  Don't you have friends who say some pretty vulgar stuff sometimes but at the end of the day you know they're a good person? 

Took the words right out of my mouth. Saved me a lot of time from replying further.

Brendan Leipsic got hacked/backstabbed, and his conversations got leaked. Most players in the league are lucky that this hasn't happened to them.

Edited by Patrick Kane
  • Wat 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Well then it's up to him to prove to the world that he's NOT that person.

That's his doing, not ours.

I don't believe that would accomplish anything. People don't care about proof, they have already made up their minds. I expect he will be harassed about this for the rest of his life. To me the punishment should be commensurate to the crime. It never is when mob justice is involved.

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

How many men do you actually hang out with on a day-to-day basis?  Do you actually know how most men talk when there are no women around?   Hate to break it to ya...but...it ain't pretty sometimes..

It's different in todays world because everyone wants to be a hero on social media.  Brendans life is over because the Twitter users will never let it die because they smell blood.  Everybody loves an easy target 

oh boo hoo for Brendan, maybe he shouldn't have participated in such vulgar conversation on line.  I have been married for going on 48 years to the same man who respect women and would never think of saying disgusting things about his friends wives, that is called a man  and I raised a daughter and 2 boys, both my boys have always been respectful to women and treat their own wives with respect. Brendan deserves what he gets! 

• Like 2
  • Wat 1