The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Virtanen for a 1st at the draft + Tryamkin being used as a sweetener?

This season Virtanen has shown he is learning what it takes to be a productive and effective NHLer. He possess, size, speed, a great shot and a physicality that we will relish come playoff hockey.

I venture that if gets a consistent spot in our top 6 and more PP time as his career unfolds, he could be a 40-50 point player year in and year out. Plus if Toffoli doesn't resign, Virtanen would be a nice in house option to slot into our top 6 at a reasonable cap hit since he will be cost controlled to an extent as an RFA.

If it boils down to choosing Virtanen over Tanev, I think the obvious choice is Virt based on age, durability and what the skill set he brings to our roster. If he can find more of an edge to his game like JT Miller, and bring that consistent effort night in and night out, we will be laughing!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The flaw in your logic with “saving a million/per player sent down” is that somebody  has to fill those vacant slots.  Even if it’s a young guy from Utica that still eats up all/most of the cap savings from burying the vet in the minors. There’s really next to no savings to be had. 

Good point.. but it’s still an action that should be taken if a player isn’t pulling his weight .. and it also can lead to those players (especially in LEs case who’s soon the be paid out most of his contract) to push budge them into retirement.  Riding the bus in the AHL and the way things go down there is a lot different then NHL treatment.   So that also is a factor.  Maybe the savings isn’t as big - but depending on the player there could still be some savings...could be 3-6k..

With apparently “7” players coming into play over the next couple of years and the amount of middle to bottom six vets we currently have there will be some rotation.  Maybe Pearson gets traded for example.  His stock is high right now and he’s also up for a raise next year...he’s a guy that teams would be interested as a rental...and that would lower our cap hit by 3.75...add Leivo and that’s enough for Markstrom and JV right?  Again I don’t think we should be trading BB just to sign TT - terrible move.  Just let things happen organically- make a trade with our middle six guys...maybe Ferland can recover...a lot could happen. 

9 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

How many years before Jake becomes a ufa?

I believe he will be eligible to become UFA after the 21-22 season (that would be the completion of his seventh NHL season) 

Whether or not his new contract takes him up to that,  or past that,  is still to be determined 

Edited by qwijibo

On 6/13/2020 at 9:49 PM, Canuckster86 said:

we need to do something to dump some higher cap hit players that have been passed on the roster or are just flat out useless. Only way to do that is buyout but that sometimes doesn't save much, or trade said player and add a pick/prospect/player to get a team to take on a contract.

Yeah I agree.  I think the team should see if it could bundle Stecher's rights with a contract (probably Beagle) and hope Roussel and Sutter have good playoff performances such that they can be movable.  That or swap those vets for a young 4th line center who can take draws well but is also lower in upside so he'd stay cheap.    

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I believe he will be eligible to become UFA after the 21-22 season (that would be the completion of his seventh NHL season) 

Whether or not his new contract takes him up to that,  or past that,  is still to be determined 

Great, thanks for the info.

13 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

rather just keep virtanen, he's really stepped up this season.

I would rather keep everyone, but something will have to give cap wise.    It’s like you said - Virtanen has stepped up this year and it’s not unfathomable to believe that he could be signed long term at a cost controlled AAV for the right team.   Those type of guys could easily fetch a solid 1st round pick.   

I’m not sure where Kole Lind is in his development, but how far away is he from being a decent 3rd line NHL player?

Edited by DarkIndianRises

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I would rather keep everyone, but something will have to give cap wise.    It’s like you said - Virtanen has stepped up this year and it’s not unfathomable to believe that he could be signed long term at a cost controlled AAV for the right team.   Those type of guys could easily fetch a solid 1st round pick.   

I’m not sure where Kole Lind is in his development, but how far away is he from being a decent 3rd line NHL player?

virt shouldnt get more than a ferland deal, hasnt even reached his point totals yet. so probs re-sign him semi cheap.

• Cheers 1