The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Top 10 Seasons for Canuck Goaltenders

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Great work AJ. Still think Lu was robbed in 07. Crazy you finish 2nd in Hart voting & don't win the Vezina. 

His arrival changed everything. Faced an NHL record 76 shots in his very first playoff game. Canucks had 20 less shots than the Stars yet managed to win. Was a microcosm of his season. 

Top 10 Canucks Seasons of All-time - #6: 2006-07 - Nucks Misconduct

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

Good job AJ - always fun to read your write-ups.   As of a few years ago hockey historians have gone back and down save percentages right back to 1953....some would be surprised to know the following - which sheds some light on how great the best of the business were back then, and how incredible some of their seasons were compared to the best post Roy.

9/10 pucks were scored along the ice ... drop down every time and cover the posts gives anyone with a modest athletic ability a huge advantage doing the butterfly over stand-up styles and became the great equalizer for less talented athletes and the best got that much better  .. it takes a very special type of athlete that could stand up - wear leather pads and cover a much smaller amount of net relative today and post the following gaudy career sp.  

Start with Roy just for reference .910 66 SO and Hasek .922 sp 81 SO

1. Plante .919 sp 82 SO (1953-73)

2. Dryden .922 sp 46 SO 258-57-74 (in 9 years ... he won 7 individual awards and 6 cups) 

3. Parent (as a flyer) .919 sp  

4. Esposito .906sp 76 SO virtually the same as  Belfour .906sp  76 SO

And my personal favourites

6.  Johnny Bower .921sp  37 SO starting his NHL career at 33-34....

and Sawchuk no career sp (yet) but you can bet it will come in and blow some socks away.   Famously quoted for “you could tie one hand behind his back, throw a handful of rice at him and he’d stop every single one from going in the net”.    103 SO ... in several hundreds of less games then Broduer.   Still considered by most the best to ever play the game. 

Considering the “average” sp didn’t creep up to above .9 until the dead puck era, what the above guys accomplished compared to their peers was simply unreal.     Hasek is the most recent modern era goalie that managed the most  .... what he did might have been the best six-seven year stretch ever - that said he was helped by the dead puck era .... and what he did wasn’t much different then what Parent and Dryden did in the 70’s either.   Sawchuk posted entire playoff series with under 1.00 GAA ... closest thing to that would be the Luongo/Turco showdown in the modern era probably.

Would be curious as to where CDCers would rank the best we’ve had all-time compared to the all-time goalie lists ... I’d have Luongo in the mid 20’s....part of that is that no individual hardware/no cups, and make SO losses ties and SO wins ties his gaudy win totals drop significantly compared to his peers ...he definitely was a top five goalie for most of his career...robbed of one Vezina for sure too.    But not a top 20 guy.   He’s the Joe Thornton of goalies. 

McLean in the 65 range, Brouder in the 80’s...still top 100 all-time nothing wrong with that.   

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good job AJ - always fun to read your write-ups.   As of a few years ago hockey historians have gone back and down save percentages right back to 1953....some would be surprised to know the following - which sheds some light on how great the best of the business were back then, and how incredible some of their seasons were compared to the best post Roy.

9/10 pucks were scored along the ice ... drop down every time and cover the posts gives anyone with a modest athletic ability a huge advantage doing the butterfly over stand-up styles and became the great equalizer for less talented athletes and the best got that much better  .. it takes a very special type of athlete that could stand up - wear leather pads and cover a much smaller amount of net relative today and post the following gaudy career sp.  

Start with Roy just for reference .910 66 SO and Hasek .922 sp 81 SO

1. Plante .919 sp 82 SO (1953-73)

2. Dryden .922 sp 46 SO 258-57-74 (in 9 years ... he won 7 individual awards and 6 cups) 

3. Parent (as a flyer) .919 sp  

4. Esposito .906sp 76 SO virtually the same as  Belfour .906sp  76 SO

And my personal favourites

6.  Johnny Bower .921sp  37 SO starting his NHL career at 33-34....

and Sawchuk no career sp (yet) but you can bet it will come in and blow some socks away.   Famously quoted for “you could tie one hand behind his back, throw a handful of rice at him and he’d stop every single one from going in the net”.    103 SO ... in several hundreds of less games then Broduer.   Still considered by most the best to ever play the game. 

Considering the “average” sp didn’t creep up to above .9 until the dead puck era, what the above guys accomplished compared to their peers was simply unreal.     Hasek is the most recent modern era goalie that managed the most  .... what he did might have been the best six-seven year stretch ever - that said he was helped by the dead puck era .... and what he did wasn’t much different then what Parent and Dryden did in the 70’s either.   Sawchuk posted entire playoff series with under 1.00 GAA ... closest thing to that would be the Luongo/Turco showdown in the modern era probably.

Would be curious as to where CDCers would rank the best we’ve had all-time compared to the all-time goalie lists ... I’d have Luongo in the mid 20’s....part of that is that no individual hardware/no cups, and make SO losses ties and SO wins ties his gaudy win totals drop significantly compared to his peers ...he definitely was a top five goalie for most of his career...robbed of one Vezina for sure too.    But not a top 20 guy.   He’s the Joe Thornton of goalies. 

McLean in the 65 range, Brouder in the 80’s...still top 100 all-time nothing wrong with that.   

luongo is top 5 to top 10 all time no cup but lost game seven won2  gold medals at olympics silver at world junior   2 golds at world champ one silver  and top 3 in all time wins  is huge   top 9 all time is save percentage  4th if u count the ties 

Just now, canuktravella said:

luongo is top 5 to top 10 all time no cup but lost game seven won2  gold medals at olympics silver at world junior   2 golds at world champ one silver  and top 3 in all time wins  is huge   top 9 all time is save percentage  4th if u count the ties 

he should have won  vezina in his career and the hart he got robbed  best goalie we ever had

• Upvote 1

Not a single Cloutier season, that makes me sad. Lol. I am the rare Cloutier fan. Also still very mad Lu didn't win the Vezina during the 06/07 season. Downright criminal. But I guess when a goalie breaks the single season win record you are borderline obligated to give it to him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Not a single Cloutier season, that makes me sad. Lol. I am the rare Cloutier fan. Also still very mad Lu didn't win the Vezina during the 06/07 season. Downright criminal. But I guess when a goalie breaks the single season win record you are borderline obligated to give it to him.

Cloutier's 2003-04 season was probably around 15th, but none of his other seasons were particularly great. Those teams were run by their offense more than goaltending.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, N7Nucks said:

I’m a big Clouts fan. I just loved his competitive nature and he made some ridiculous saves from time to time. 

Honestly he was an average goalie league wide but he wasn’t as terrible as a Canuck as people believe. That .914 save percentage back then was no joke and he was player of the week a couple times if I remember correctly.