The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

13 minutes ago, MayRayDown said:

I really hate this PS "short notice stuff" if you accept a fight you can't have your cake and eat it too, oh well I lost, I had short notice. I won even without short notice, I'm the best. Its a win/win apparently.

Diaz with the "If I had a full training camp I wouldn't have even been touched" sure buddy, you've had full training camps and still showed up out of shape

But that's just how it is though...Nick Diaz who isn't the greatest, did beat McGregor with short notice.  Says more about McGregor than Diaz.  

24 minutes ago, JV77 said:

But that's just how it is though...Nick Diaz who isn't the greatest, did beat McGregor with short notice.  Says more about McGregor than Diaz.  

Yeah, I'm sure training for a 5'9 155 lbs guy to a 6'0 170 lbs guy isn't too hard. Also Diaz was training for a marathon or something.

6 hours ago, JV77 said:

The Diaz bro's are always training. McGregor did him a favour by letting him fight at 170. 

Oh man... I just finished watching the ppv this morning. I knew Conor had some serious holes in his game, specifically his striking defense, but I really didn't expect Diaz to be the one to expose it. I figured RDA probably would though. 

Good on Diaz though. It was nice to see one of those guys finally have their day. The fallout from this will be long term and absolutely hilarious.

2 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I only watched the highlights but that is an interesting floppy arm style of punches diaz has......

Boxers need to be throwing a ton of punches, keeping arm loose like that helps avoid draining energy. Also helps when you have that reach advantage like Diaz did. Can just keep poking that arm out there to find his range.

McGregor doesn't have the frame to do what he wants to do at 170. Too much bulk for him to carry around, he needs to drop down. No shame in that, its not a matter of will/effort, just genetic card your dealt. 

Was more pumped about Meisha winning than the McGregor/Diaz fight, as crazy as that sounds haha. I've actually been a Meisha fan for the last couple of years while everyone's been riding Ronda, so seeing her get the title is like seeing the Pats or Canucks (hypothetically unfortunately) win. 

Props to both McGregor and Diaz for coming in short notice/putting on 20-25lbs to put on a fight for the fans. Wasn't easy for either of them, and I hope they have a catch weight rematch. 

As for McGregor tapping so quickly, why wouldn't he? Diaz had a clean choke and McGregor didn't have his belt on the line. 

^weird. Same, I've been a huge Tate fan and have never liked Rousey. So happy for her. 

And McGregor although I wanted to win, predicted he'd lose. He had everything to lose and Diaz had nothing to lose. The fact Connor went up 2 weight classes putting up ~25lbs says all you have to know about him. He doesn't shy away from anything and is like no other. Had Diaz winning because of his bjj, reach, and height advantage. Connor has been too reliant on the KO strike and Diaz has a heck of a chin and just knew he wouldn't get KO'd. Connor really hasn't taken a fight to the ground and going up against Nate was a huge risk. And especially with Nate's crazy conditioning and the way Connor jumped weight this suddenly, other than hype, like I said he had everything to lose but made the fight for the fans and I hope people can respect that and realize what he did to make the fight happen.

..Connor got beat at his own game and it should serve as a motivator and lesson for him moving forward. However, it was a win-win for both fighters. Diaz got put back on the UFC map and should be a bigger draw now helping his career out and as for McGregor, it was a non title fight and he got paid a sh*t ton of money.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

Yeah, I'm sure training for a 5'9 155 lbs guy to a 6'0 170 lbs guy isn't too hard. Also Diaz was training for a marathon or something.

Conor didn't have to cut any weight and was eating steaks for dinner just a few days before the weigh ins.  Conor fought at what he walks around at.  He has such a tough weight cut for 145 and has the size and reach advantage on almost all those guys.  Even at 155 Diaz would've still won.   Weight wasn't a issue for Conor, Diaz's reach, boxing, toughness and ground game were the issues.

The whole weight excuse for Conor is bs and most of the fair weather don't have a clue about it. 

Edited by JV77
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Was more pumped about Meisha winning than the McGregor/Diaz fight, as crazy as that sounds haha. I've actually been a Meisha fan for the last couple of years while everyone's been riding Ronda, so seeing her get the title is like seeing the Pats or Canucks (hypothetically unfortunately) win. 

Props to both McGregor and Diaz for coming in short notice/putting on 20-25lbs to put on a fight for the fans. Wasn't easy for either of them, and I hope they have a catch weight rematch. 

As for McGregor tapping so quickly, why wouldn't he? Diaz had a clean choke and McGregor didn't have his belt on the line. 

^weird. Same, I've been a huge Tate fan and have never liked Rousey. So happy for her. 

And McGregor although I wanted to win, predicted he'd lose. He had everything to lose and Diaz had nothing to lose. The fact Connor went up 2 weight classes putting up ~25lbs says all you have to know about him. He doesn't shy away from anything and is like no other. Had Diaz winning because of his bjj, reach, and height advantage. Connor has been too reliant on the KO strike and Diaz has a heck of a chin and just knew he wouldn't get KO'd. Connor really hasn't taken a fight to the ground and going up against Nate was a huge risk. And especially with Nate's crazy conditioning and the way Connor jumped weight this suddenly, other than hype, like I said he had everything to lose but made the fight for the fans and I hope people can respect that and realize what he did to make the fight happen.

..Connor got beat at his own game and it should serve as a motivator and lesson for him moving forward. However, it was a win-win for both fighters. Diaz got put back on the UFC map and should be a bigger draw now helping his career out and as for McGregor, it was a non title fight and he got paid a sh*t ton of money.

You think they had to put weight on, or rather just didn't have to cut any?  

Prime examples of a lot fans not really knowing how it works...

Edited by JV77
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JV77 said:

I'm aware that Conor walks around at 165/170, but his fighting weight is what he's used to fighting at. His body's conditioned over years to dehydrate down to 145 24 hours before a fight and then rehydrate in 24 hours. Same thing for any individual sport. Tell Usain Bolt to change his routine after years of sprinting and preparing at/for specific weights at specific times, it'll make a difference in his time. 

Either way, like I said, big kudos to McGregor for even taking the fight 2 weight classes above his class, and for Diaz relying on triathlon training on 11 days notice before a fight and letting the show go on for the fans. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Lol. Way to assume. There's a big difference in what you're saying.

Yes Conor's usual weight is around 170lbs but his entire camp was done for him to be ready at 145lbs. For him to all of a sudden scrap that and decide to fight at 170 is an entirely different dynamic. 

...if it really was that easy, wonder why no other fighter does what McGregor did. Aka it's not as easy as you assume it to be lol. Changes everything. 

2 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Lol. Way to assume. There's a big difference in what you're saying.

Yes Conor's usual weight is around 170lbs but his entire camp was done for him to be ready at 145lbs. For him to all of a sudden scrap that and decide to fight at 170 is an entirely different dynamic. 

...if it really was that easy, wonder why no other fighter does what McGregor did. Aka it's not as easy as you assume it to be lol. Changes everything. 

10 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm aware that Conor walks around at 165/170, but his fighting weight is what he's used to fighting at. His body's conditioned over years to dehydrate down to 145 24 hours before a fight and then rehydrate in 24 hours. Same thing for any individual sport. Tell Usain Bolt to change his routine after years of sprinting and preparing at/for specific weights at specific times, it'll make a difference in his time. 

Either way, like I said, big kudos to McGregor for even taking the fight 2 weight classes above his class, and for Diaz relying on triathlon training on 11 days notice before a fight and letting the show go on for the fans. 

No he wasn't.  He was fighting for the Lightweight belt at 155 lbs against Rafael Dos Anjos and Nate Diaz also fights at 155.  So both of them fought above their normal weight.  And you really think if it was at 155 the outcome would've really changed?  Was weight really the winning factor for Nate or was it his reach, boxing, and ground game?  Conor's has almost zero ground game.

Conor is a big 145 fighter and even his coach said after the Aldo fight that weight cut is too strenuous on him and he might not want him doing it again.

42 minutes ago, JV77 said:

No he wasn't.  He was fighting for the Lightweight belt at 155 lbs against Rafael Dos Anjos and Nate Diaz also fights at 155.  So both of them fought above their normal weight.  And you really think if it was at 155 the outcome would've really changed?  Was weight really the winning factor for Nate or was it his reach, boxing, and ground game?  Conor's has almost zero ground game.

Conor is a big 145 fighter and even his coach said after the Aldo fight that weight cut is too strenuous on him and he might not want him doing it again.

Where in my initial post did I say weight was the reason for his loss? 

"

As for McGregor tapping so quickly, why wouldn't he? Diaz had a clean choke and McGregor didn't have his belt on the line. "

-

All I said was props to Conor for doing it so that the fight could happen, as well as props to Diaz for taking the fight so that it could happen.

There are no excuses. Conor picked the fight at 170, and he was facing a guy with a ton of experience under his belt. Diaz is bigger than guys that he's used to facing, and is notorious for taking a beating during his fights and winning them. We saw that yesterday with him winning with blood all over his face.

It was also a bad idea for Conor to try and take him down. Dude is a black belt and can handle guys with Conor's ground game clearly. Conor was being cocky and fought with his hands down. He got rocked and probably didn't expect to get hit like that, or for it to have the impact that it did.

This makes me more interested to think about what would have happened against RDA. I think RDA would have handled Conor quite well. Nevermind if Conor beat Diaz and went up to face Robbie Lawler.

Conor will come back stronger though. I'm interested to see what they choose for him next. Frankie Edgar? Aldo? I think he eventually has to defend that title. Sure, his coach and himself probably don't want to drop back down to 145, but he's not the true champion until he defends it.

For Meisha Tate fans ... unfortunately, Rousey vs.Tate III will have another change of title.  

Holm>Rousey  

Rousey>Tate

but for some reason Tate>Holm ... yesterday.  

Prediction:

Rousey beats Tate next fight 

Then Holm beats Rousey again

Rinse wash and repeat

Edited by Neversummer

36 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

For Meisha Tate fans ... unfortunately, Rousey vs.Tate III will have another change of title.  

Holm>Rousey  

Rousey>Tate

but for some reason Tate>Holm ... yesterday.  

Prediction:

Rousey beats Tate next fight 

Then Holm beats Rousey again

Rinse wash and repeat

Cyborg smash

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Connor wanted the fight at 170. He also hand picked Diaz. Stop with the excuses. 

Connor is smart, Diaz brings more attention and more money to his wallet regardless of a win or loss. If they have a rematch that'll be another $15M in McGregors pocket.