The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

^yep...UFC did Helwani wrong big time.

For a guy that's poured his heart into what he does and is considered the best in the business, that's pretty disgraceful. I'm not sure there's a fighter out there that has anything bad to say about Ariel. He's just awesome all around and pretty twisted he gets the ban hammer for doing his job. So what he spilled the news an hour or so before it was officially released? Didn't kill anyone and if anything, it built up the hype more before we all found out for good. 

...pretty sure Dana and the UFC are just PMSing as of late. Just like the Conor thing and with 200 around the corner, emotions are high. Logical thing would be for everything to cool off and the UFC to bring Ariel back. If not, this would be extremely bizarre to say the least for a guy who's done so much for the sport.

Lmao Luke Rockhold is a whiny little pos. Happy that Bisping finally won the title. He's been in the game a long time.

LESNAR AT UFC 200! Dana is so clutch. Mcgregor tries to make a play and the UFC gave 0 fracks. Took him off the card and replaced him with JonesvCormier and now Lesnar lmao. Ufc 200 is gonna be epic! 

• Upvote 1

UFC still can't decide if they want to be a professional sport or a mafia organization.

Banning Helwani for being good at his job. If anything, he built a buzz around the announcement. Instead of UFC just dropping a line in their promo about Lesnar, people were buzzing to see if the Helwani scoop came true.

Imagine Bettman banning Friedman or McKenzie reporting on a trade at the draft before Bettman got the podium, so Bettman yanked their credentials (obviously he can't as he doesn't have the authority that Dana White does).

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

For a guy that's poured his heart into what he does and is considered the best in the business, that's pretty disgraceful. I'm not sure there's a fighter out there that has anything bad to say about Ariel. He's just awesome all around and pretty twisted he gets the ban hammer for doing his job. So what he spilled the news an hour or so before it was officially released? Didn't kill anyone and if anything, it built up the hype more before we all found out for good. 

...pretty sure Dana and the UFC are just PMSing as of late. Just like the Conor thing and with 200 around the corner, emotions are high. Logical thing would be for everything to cool off and the UFC to bring Ariel back. If not, this would be extremely bizarre to say the least for a guy who's done so much for the sport.

Griffin didn't like him for a bit, Tito hated him, Nick Diaz didn't even want to get interviewed by him because he feels Helwani just instigates in his interviews. Rampage didn't want to interview him cause he didn't like him.

There's probably more that I forgot.

1 hour ago, MayRayDown said:

Griffin didn't like him for a bit, Tito hated him, Nick Diaz didn't even want to get interviewed by him because he feels Helwani just instigates in his interviews. Rampage didn't want to interview him cause he didn't like him.

There are definitely guys that don't necessarily 'like' Helwani, but as a journalist/interviewer, you probably wouldn't be doing your job if everyone liked you. The guys you've mentioned aren't necessarily the most reasonable/easy-going guys.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Scientists need to study what the hell it is that Hendo's chin/head are made of...

Hendo's chin is shot. Used to be good, now he gets rocked pretty easy. Good at surviving though.

As for the Ariel incident. He was doing his job, however he messed with the wrong person. Dana has a short leash. I can see the issue being you are promoting an event to sell tickets, so you wait for a press conference to make the announcement and get people excited. This isn't like other sports where reports report trades that have been made that people want to know about right away. It's a business that is attempting to sell tickets. Ariel does his job well, however he made a move that came with a lot of risk behind it when you present something before Dana even says it. Ariel saying something like Jones out of UFC 200 because of injury before anyone else - that's his job. Announcing a bout that Dana is trying to keep secret, sure, may be his job, but wrong people to do it too. 

8 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Yeah its a complete and utter joke. Ariel is the man, and by far the biggest and best reporter in the scene. They ban him for just doing his job, too? If you dont want him breaking stuff like that early why not fix your leaks or hire him and make him sign an NDA? Unfortunately stupid decisions like this is par for the course for the UFC. 

As for your no fighters have anything bad to say about Ariel, he definitely has a lot of fighter support. Jon Jones tweeted last night that he would always answer Ariels phone call and DC also lent his support and disagreed with the move by the UFC, and more fighters have come out to support Ariel too. 

Very unfortunate that this all happened after perhaps the best card to date in the UFC, definitely top 3-5 easily for me. Really a downer after such a fantastic card. 

1 hour ago, Rough Neck said:

Hendo's chin is shot. Used to be good, now he gets rocked pretty easy. Good at surviving though.

As for the Ariel incident. He was doing his job, however he messed with the wrong person. Dana has a short leash. I can see the issue being you are promoting an event to sell tickets, so you wait for a press conference to make the announcement and get people excited. This isn't like other sports where reports report trades that have been made that people want to know about right away. It's a business that is attempting to sell tickets. Ariel does his job well, however he made a move that came with a lot of risk behind it when you present something before Dana even says it. Ariel saying something like Jones out of UFC 200 because of injury before anyone else - that's his job. Announcing a bout that Dana is trying to keep secret, sure, may be his job, but wrong people to do it too. 

His chin was fantastic in that first round, recovery is a gigantic part of having a really good chin. Take McGregor for example, took one straight and looked like he was rocked for a full minute vs Diaz. 

4 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Rockhold looked like a guy who let fame get to his head. He didn't look prepared at all, he almost looked hung over.

As for Helwani, all he needs to do is get a nose job and change his last name to Helwini.

Rockhold was eating a lot of shots before he got KO'd there too, I was thinking the whole time that he wasnt respeckin Bisping and then ding dong there goes your belt. You cant sleep on anyone in the cage, everyone has knock out power if you get caught at that weight. 

7 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

I think a lot of that is old Ariel though, hes been a different guy and a completely different image with a totally different level of respeck in the community in the last 2 or so years. He used to suck really hard at interviewing and journalism in general and pretty much everyone universally didnt like him. He was the butt of a lot of jokes on MMA forums, thats for sure. Pretty universally loved now, though. 

As an aside, I highly recommend the post fight conference if yall havent watched it yet, Really funny. 

8 hours ago, BI3KSA- said:

https://streamable.com/g3q0

For everyone getting on Rockhold, Bisping was a huge dick and did say "are you OK? Are you OK?" Sarcastically after the KO. I know there was banter between them leading up to the fight and all, but Rockhold does have a bit of a right to be a little pissed.  

Agreed.  Bisping is about as classless as they come.  I still remember the time he spit on the corner guys after he won.  Constantly running his mouth and one arrogant SOB. 
That being said, what the hell was Rockhold thinking fighting like that?  Not sure if he overlooked Bisping or if he was just showing a bit of arrogance himself. 

I don't see Bisping holding the belt for long though.  I'm thinking Jacare is next in line and that it won't go well for the new champ.

7 hours ago, Bocivus said:

Agreed.  Bisping is about as classless as they come.  I still remember the time he spit on the corner guys after he won.  Constantly running his mouth and one arrogant SOB. 
That being said, what the hell was Rockhold thinking fighting like that?  Not sure if he overlooked Bisping or if he was just showing a bit of arrogance himself. 

I don't see Bisping holding the belt for long though.  I'm thinking Jacare is next in line and that it won't go well for the new champ.

Yeah Bisping as a long history of being a pretty big dick

Rockhold was eating a lot of shots prior to the KO, fighting really disrespectfully, I was thinking the entire time "what the heck is he doing?"

I expect him to lose it in his first defense, whether to Weidman or Jacare and even Rockhold I'd expect to be him next time too. 

• Upvote 1