The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

34 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

SFU Burnaby is closed because of the snow.

Not surprised by this one bit. The main roads would be not bad, but once you venture on to side streets that's going to be the tricky part without snow tires.

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

Anyone in the Pacific Northwest who complains about the snow. I hope you feel ashamed of yourself. 

Not in the least, I don't have the experience of my counterparts back East, let alone much experience driving in the snow. I found it an inconvenience this morning because I live at higher elevation and had to drive hills and have no problem admitting my lack of experience. I helped a lady drive down a hill in her truck because she was unnerved by it all and had to endure a couple very rude people too.

Pacific Northwest gets plenty of snow in specific locations regularly and theres nothing wrong with struggling through and complaining about a less than ideal experience driving in this weather.

1 minute ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not in the least, I don't have the experience of my counterparts back East, let alone much experience driving in the snow. I found it an inconvenience this morning because I live at higher elevation and had to drive hills and have no problem admitting my lack of experience. I helped a lady drive down a hill in her truck because she was unnerved by it all and had to endure a couple very rude people too.

Pacific Northwest gets plenty of snow in specific locations regularly and theres nothing wrong with struggling through and complaining about a less than ideal experience driving in this weather.

Do you have winter tires/chains. It's no problem having no/little experience, but if people aren't prepared, they don't get much sympathy. 

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

Do you have winter tires/chains. It's no problem having no/little experience, but if people aren't prepared, they don't get much sympathy. 

I was just being smart lol, but yes properly equipped. I hear you, can only imagine the amount of people calling the tire shops trying to get in today to get snow tires on lol.......

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Anyone in the Pacific Northwest who complains about the snow. I hope you feel ashamed of yourself. 

I have snow tires, a four by four, and know what I am doing.

However, you spend one commute dealing with all the idiots out there that don't, well, you would find it hard to not complain.....

4 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I have snow tires, a four by four, and know what I am doing.

However, you spend one commute dealing with all the idiots out there that don't, well, you would find it hard to not complain.....

No actually, a 50 minute drive to UBC today took close to two hours, and it's not hard at all. If you're complaining, you wanted something to complain about to begin with.

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

It's a prime example of people not knowing how to drive properly.  You don't need snow tires for that little of snow.  90% of people here in Buffalo use normal tires on their vehicles and during mid-winter our snow can some years be measured in feet, not inches.

I grew up and learned to drive across the water from you. I'd say after 15 years of living out here, it's a different type of snow. Not that you don't get it in upstate NY, just that for the same reason it rarely snows here, it's completely unpredictable on a block by block basis. The mountains tend to suck in the worst of it and the Pacific air burns off the rest, but when the snow does break through it's all over the map. Winter tires might help a bit but it changes anytime you move up or down a hilll in the city.

Anyhow I thought we would be left out of the party here in Vic but we finally got it. Started around 8:30 and went for about 3hrs. Took El Doggo down to the soccer field - he's seen real snow 10-15 times in his 4.5 years on the planet and went El Nutso. Looked like a puppy again, flailing in every direction, sliding, rolling.

Of course now it's turned to thick slimy rain, and the temp is supposed to drop below zero in the early morning for 24hrs. The roads are gonna be hell here tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1