The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

• 4 weeks later...

Some fantastic casting news over recent weeks - I'm liking where the show is headed (or where it looks it may be headed).

Also, did you see that the Spanish publisher for Winds of Winter came out and said they're getting manuscripts later this year, for publishing next year? Strongest indication yet that WoW will be published before Season 6 airs. It's just a shame that Season 7 will finish the storytelling for GRRM.

Some fantastic casting news over recent weeks - I'm liking where the show is headed (or where it looks it may be headed).

Also, did you see that the Spanish publisher for Winds of Winter came out and said they're getting manuscripts later this year, for publishing next year? Strongest indication yet that WoW will be published before Season 6 airs. It's just a shame that Season 7 will finish the storytelling for GRRM.

Good news.

There might be a season 8 from HBO.

dude, it's a show about a harsh collection of courts in a medieval fantasy world. i don't watch it for confirmations of narrative or political or social prejudices or biases i hold in 2015.

anyway, the woman who got raped isn't in the exact same position. in the following episode, she started planning her escape. by the end of the season, it appears she has escaped. how do you know her character has not changed? remember in episode 3 of that season, the old lady walks up to sansa and says "the north remembers" and there's that dramatic pause. i think it would be foolish to think that sansa is done developing.

but speculation aside, sansa's arranged marriage was most likely going to be consummated, so what did you expect? her to suddenly get a burst of agency out of it, unlike the vast majority of the characters in the show who have sexual mistreatment done to them just because, and become some feminist icon? now THAT would have been uncharacteristic and counter intuitive to the entire show thus far, because sexual violence is just part of the show -- but up until recently, it hasn't been applied to the good looking, sympathetic, young stars.

as an aside, did the excessive and vulgar emasculation of theon--and the subsequent series of jokes and commentary about it--bother you? after all, the only change he went through after his (much worse) rape was that he became a servile dog. or, what about Dany being raped by Khal? or was her rape acceptable because she became powerful a few seasons later?

i completely disagree that this has anything to do with poor writing. i think it has to do with consistent writing. poor writing would have been, for me, special treatment applied to a star just because she's a star, while everyone else sits in the gutter

I'm sure all the mental and physical abuse that Joffery layed on Sansa toughened her up, or at the very least numbed her to the point of just reluctantly letting things go where they may. Remember, Joffery was a total dick not just to her.

Not poor writing. A necessary scene in my opinion.

Her and Theone are still alive. I've jumped off a roof into deep snow before and came out grinnin'! That being said, a castle wall is much higher, but hey................it's TV and if they can bring back the dead, then they can survive jumping off tall structures!

• 2 months later...

I like how Game of thrones aren't going to drag out whether Jon is alive or not. They pretty much showed he's alive in the poster and the teaser trailer, so they gave us an answer right away unlike another show who drag on fake deaths for 5 episodes.

9 hours ago, Shaft said:

I like how Game of thrones aren't going to drag out whether Jon is alive or not. They pretty much showed he's alive in the poster and the teaser trailer, so they gave us an answer right away unlike another show who drag on fake deaths for 5 episodes.

Yeah. It's like that from episode to episode too.