The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Hope no one spoils anything for me, I have no need to jump ahead plus it's illegal and morally reprehensible.  Just realized none of my friends watch GoT or at the very least are up to date.  Imagine a show of this calibre and no one to talk to about it :( 

48 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hope no one spoils anything for me, I have no need to jump ahead plus it's illegal and morally reprehensible.  Just realized none of my friends watch GoT or at the very least are up to date.  Imagine a show of this calibre and no one to talk to about it :( 

I know that feeling. No one I know watches or even heard of The 100. That show can get so emotional I get numbed when I'm not watching it.

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

I know that feeling. No one I know watches or even heard of The 100. That show can get so emotional I get numbed when I'm not watching it.

I googled your sig awhile back to look up those ladies, for some reason I thought the left one was Lena Hedley.  I never heard of the 100 either but I don't watch a lot of tv(I swear).

12 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

That show is way too teenie angst ridden for me. It has that horrible pandering to drama vibe for every commercial break. I feel the same way about the Shannara Chronicles which is also too MTV-ish. 

11 minutes ago, theminister said:

That show is way too teenie angst ridden for me. It has that horrible pandering to drama vibe for every commercial break. I feel the same way about the Shannara Chronicles which is also too MTV-ish. 

First season they really wanted to exploit that generation gap between the teens and their parents. Perhaps they figured it wasn't working so they dropped that for action and politics in season 2 which got much better, and season 3 has been fairly insane. Some people criticize it for being too Game of Thrones like in terms of body count. I just love the pace of it. The plot moves so fast it's exhausting.

But overall yeah it is targeted towards teens and early 20's, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, theminister said:

I watched the Shannarra Chronicles, because I've read all the books. The series followed the second book, "The Elfstones of Shannarra".

From what I saw, (I missed a few episodes because I usually don't think of watching MTV) they probably needed about twice the number of episodes to do the story justice. Battles with the demon army took up much of the book, certainly more than the series.

I also didn't particularly like Crixus (Manu Bennett) being cast as Allannon. Allannon is supposed to be very tall, with dark hair and a beard. (Think Benjen Stark, only as big as The Hound)

I did however, very much like the casting of Ivana Baquero as the Rover girl, Eritria. (Incidentally, Ivana Baquero was the young girl in Pan's Labyrinth. She's grown up very nicely:))

Yall might think I live under a rock but, I'm not really a tv show guy.  Anyway I'm away from home a lot and just added the movie channel package to my cable plan and started watching

game of thrones.

yeah it's season six they're showing so I've missed alot

but wow, where have i been.  I will be purchasing season releases for sure.

this is right in my wheelhouse: ancient battles, magic, bloody violence, hot chicks.  Basically the screen version of iron maiden songs.

yes!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Yall might think I live under a rock but, I'm not really a tv show guy.  Anyway I'm away from home a lot and just added the movie channel package to my cable plan and started watching

game of thrones.

this is right in my wheelhouse: ancient battles, magic, bloody violence, hot chicks.  Basically the screen version of iron maiden songs.

yes!

I don't watch much tv but this is the only series I follow religously.  If you have the MC/HBO package all the GoT episodes are on-demand.

54 minutes ago, riffraff said:

game of thrones.

yes!

It's understandable. Life gets in the way (and by life, I mean posting on CDC).

As much as I like GoT (which is enough to watch it weekly), it's not nearly my favorite shows in the past 5(ish) years. Think that honor belongs to The Last Man on Earth, Broadchurch, Justified, Better Call Saul, and Longmire.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

As much as I like GoT (which is enough to watch it weekly), it's not nearly my favorite shows in the past 5(ish) years. Think that honor belongs to The Last Man on Earth, Broadchurch, Justified, Better Call Saul, and Longmire.

Loved Justified because the acting was so good and the character development was believable. 

I enjoyed the first 8 or so episodes of Last Man on Earth but it is so cringey that I couldn't watch season 2. That kind of humour gets tiresome for me. 

Better Call Saul is brilliant. 

Have you tried Hell on Wheels?

Edited by theminister

30 minutes ago, theminister said:

I enjoyed the first 8 or so episodes of Last Man on Earth but it is so cringey that I couldn't watch season 2. That kind of humour gets tiresome for me. 

Haven't tried Hell on Wheels yet. Been in my queue for a few years now. Unlike the 90s, where there were only a few great tv series worth watching, we are absolutely spoiled with the level of consistent quality now. It really is quite something.

As for Last Man on Earth, it gets a lot easier to watch near the end of the first season. The cringe-worthiness of it does pick up heavily, though. But once you get passed it, man does it ever get good. My wife can't stand that type of comedy, but she kept coming back because there was just enough heart to it that she held out hope. The second season is solid gold. Completely different tone with little to no cringiness that was there in the first season.

48 minutes ago, theminister said:

Loved Justified because the acting was so good and the character development was believable. 

Better Call Saul is brilliant. 

I loved the first 3 seasons, couldn't stand how they killed Elam off in season 4. 

6 hours ago, Monty said:

The only chance I get to dedicate time to watch tv is away at work from family life.

i started watching hell on wheels back when it started and definitely enjoyed it.  I'm a fan of movies of this era/genre anyways.

of course I started watching the walking dead but lost my dedication.

basically during hockey season I really only watch hockey in the centre have package.  I get the eastern and western games obviously.  So downtowns will watch two per night almost.

last man on earth is one I would be Interested  in checking out

On April 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I watched the Shannarra Chronicles, because I've read all the books. The series followed the second book, "The Elfstones of Shannarra".

From what I saw, (I missed a few episodes because I usually don't think of watching MTV) they probably needed about twice the number of episodes to do the story justice. Battles with the demon army took up much of the book, certainly more than the series.

I also didn't particularly like Crixus (Manu Bennett) being cast as Allannon. Allannon is supposed to be very tall, with dark hair and a beard. (Think Benjen Stark, only as big as The Hound)

I did however, very much like the casting of Ivana Baquero as the Rover girl, Eritria. (Incidentally, Ivana Baquero was the young girl in Pan's Labyrinth. She's grown up very nicely:))

I read all of those books 25-30 years ago...but it doesn't change how awful a teenage angst level they made that show...unbearable. 

Yes, Ivana Baquero has ass...I have no arguments with that. 

Still not enough to watch another episode. 

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 0:24 AM, Jiggs50 said:

I found this pretty interesting. Could it be!? But there's also R+L=J. Basically everyone's a Targaryen lol

Wasn't Bran told he would fly as well?  Do they have to be Targaryen haha?  If this was my universe I'd just change the ending on the fly if people guessed it.

On 4/27/2016 at 11:21 AM, riffraff said:

game of thrones.

yes!

Glad you got on board, if you have a week end off i suggest binge watch all the seasons 1-5, you will be hooked big time. If you missed the 1st season of True Detective it's a must as well.