The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

11 hours ago, Monty said:

Nothing makes me simultaneously shake my head and laugh harder than musicians who’ve been multi-millionaires for 2 decades, sing and make a video about “I relate to those in poverty and broken homes. I mean, it’s been over 20 years since I was a child in Canada, but I feels ya!”

He does though because he's lived it. Deryck grew up the child of a single mother moving around from place to place. He never knew his father, it's not the first time he's addressed the topic through Sums music. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He does though because he's lived it. Deryck grew up the child of a single mother moving around from place to place. He never knew his father, it's not the first time he's addressed the topic through Sums music. 

Oh, I know. Which is why I said:

12 hours ago, Monty said:

Nothing makes me simultaneously shake my head and laugh harder than musicians who’ve been multi-millionaires for 2 decades, sing and make a video about “I relate to those in poverty and broken homes. I mean, it’s been over 20 years since I was a child in Canada, but I feels ya!”

Aging rock stars don’t come across as sincere or genuine when they try and relate to everyday folk.

If Bono, at 59 years of age, trotted out a single about growing up with a widowed father and telling kids in a video pandering to teens that “You’re not alone”, it again, comes across as pandering.

Especially in Whimbly’s case where he’s been irrelevant for what, 15 years? That song isn’t anything the world hasn’t heard a million times before. And, if “trotted out” by a much younger singer on their first album where they haven’t been rich and famous for decades, or if by an aging multi-millionaire who’s nearly 40, perhaps a less generic song.